The recruitment/transfer policy

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jack Tatty, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How do you expect to sign someone better than Moore on the kind of wages and fees demanded when Moore himself(someone who I think will fail in this league but some of you don’t, each to their own opinion) wanted to leave for more money.
    Let’s be fair, we either smash the wage structure (most of us don’t want to risk our future) or we get loans ( there’s been non stop whining about this for the last few years) so which is it? And please, if we need 2/3 experienced players, who do you want?

2. Don

Donny-Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I haven’t noticed anyone at Oakwell this season who appears to have given up either.

I might be able to question the results, but the work ethic has been epic.

ScubaTyke and Jimmy viz like this.
  3. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t expect us to necessarily sign someone who’s better than Moore initially. I do expect us to sign someone a few years younger who is of a similar height who can win headers & hold a ball up. We may get lucky & he’s good enough straight away, he might need a few months or a season to get up to speed or he might never be good enough. That’s the gamble we take with any new signing but I do expect us to sign someone in that mould & not just to accept that we aren’t going to win headers in the oppositions half all season.

As for fees we’ve regularly sold players for substantial fees in recent years & brought in replacements for a much lower amount who’ve done a decent job. So there’s a 3rd option which isn’t to smash our budget or bring in a loanee, we know this because we’ve done it for years.

Mawson goes for £5m, MacDonald comes in for a small fee & goes for a lot more, Lindsay comes in for a smallish fee & leaves for a couple of million & then Diaby, Halme & Anderson come in. In a couple of years one or more of them will go for a decent fee & we’ll bring in another centre back I’ve never heard of. That’s what we do. If we can do it for every other position on the pitch why can’t we do it for a big striker?

As for which experienced players do I want, it’s mid-season now so I don’t imagine there’s many if any knocking about that would be up to speed. The club knew Moore wanted out from at least June if not earlier. They will have known which free agents & experienced pros were available & we should have prepared accordingly. I don’t even think we necessarily needed an experienced head up top. I think it’s much more important to have one at centre back and / or central midfield for the organisation of the side.

I don’t think many fans are asking for us to smash our transfer record or wage budget either. I’ve not seen much of that. In fact the transfer record wouldn’t have even been mentioned if the club themselves didn’t bring it up.

4. Jak

Jake The Red Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Then it's not Dave's job to decide whether Moore was worth retaining against his wishes either.
    Anyway, all this conjecture will be meaningless eventually.
    I look forward later in the season to reading everyone saying we were right to move Moore out and how great the team is doing.
    Fingers crossed.

5. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with you. The transfer fee isn’t important in the grand scheme of things but the wage structure is at the very centre of how a club like ours operates. Imagine, as some have said, hooper coming as a free agent. He takes a 50% cut in the wages that he’s used to but it’s twice more than any player at this clubs ever been offered. He doesn’t score for 4 games( which is likely as he’s not that prolific), what a negative impact that kind of signing has on the current squad who in my opinion will stay up with gas in the tank.
    I’m asking for names because I’ve been asking since the summer and have had no reply about a realistic experienced transfer target.

6. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We needed a half decent replacement, we failed to do that.
    We are playing wingers and cente halfs up front!! Yet we can look at our growing bank balance as a sign of success??
    Money we dont need players at this level (or somewhere near) we do.
    I dont know the details but it looks likely we were trying to cash in on moore but then failed with our options to bring in a SUITABLE replacement. So dont get rid of any player unless we have a decent replacement i.e Woodrow for Bradshaw....simples.

7. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course not. I thought it was obvious from the context that I was talking about signing a replacement for Moore.