The Role Of CEO

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Conan Troutman, May 26, 2017.

1. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is it absolutely vital or total unnecessary?

We've gone almost six months without one so it's either total negligence on the club's part or we might as well not bother with one.

Which is it?

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  2. Iro

Ironjaw94 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's not needed. Scouts identify the player. Cryne/Watkins set budget. Hecky speaks to the player. Lawyers write the contract. Players signs it.

I think we need one though over see that entire project and free heckys time up to develop players.

A ship always needs a captain!

Kettlewell likes this.
  3. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Chief Executive Officer is the Americanisation of the British job title Managing Director. Which ever term is being used for the position, perhaps Barnsley FC is not a true example of the use of that job title. Barnsley FC has only 1 shareholder, and although Mr Cryne does not run the club on a day to day basis, he has set the basic modus operandi by which the company operates. It would usually be the job of the CEO to run the company commercially and setting out the way that it operates is a big part of that. So a major part of the CEO's role has been removed from his control. A second major part of the job of a CEO is setting out a budget and if necessary, organising the finance (loans etc) in support of that budget. Mr Cryne appears to have determined the budget and is the provider of finance and the guarantor of any bank overdraft that is necessary. So once again, a major part of the job of the CEO is not applicable. It makes me wonder if CEO, or indeed Managing Director, is not what we are seeking and that the title is just a means of glorifying the position, a tactic often used in business to confer an importance on the job holder, which is not based on the actual job that he does. To my eyes, what we are looking for is a commercial manager. Someone experienced in negotiating contracts with players and their agents, with the knowledge of the game that means that Barnsley FC will get the best possible deal when acquiring and selling players. His most important tools will be his book of contacts and his deal making experience. In this respect, Maurice Watkins and his legal team will be doing a reasonable job. They will know the rules, and they will be applying those rules correctly to ensure Barnsley Football Club are not breaking any rules, but they will not have the contacts within the game that our new guy will possess. Or at least I hope that he does.

As regards the time it has taken to appoint a new man, once again, it is better to be right than to be quick. I can only assume that the man they want was not available earlier for some reason.

4. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Necessary. If it's the right one.

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Necessary in modern football. They're going to be busy over the next few months so it's important we have recruited well.

6. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As people have said before, it's basically Club Secretary under a different guise. I don't know how much freedom they would have with regards to decision making, which makes me wonder how important the role is. Its either not that important and we can continue to muddle through without one or we're heading for a massive **** storm.

Ho hum. Beats talking politics.

mickbruff likes this.
  7. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With GDPR coming in next year, we also need a CIO who is legally responsible for personal data held by BFC. Might as well get in a CFO and convert Taylors job title to CBO (Chief Biscuit Officer). We'd then have a full C-Suite.

8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bring back Michael Spinks especially now he's too frail to chase me if he catches me flogging South Riding to the players again.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fans Forum

Kettlewell likes this.
  9. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    More importantly, is a part time chairman necessary or even helpful?

10. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Obviously neither

11. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We are, as you say, muddling through, but we are incurring significant cost. There will be significant legal fees for the services provided by Mr Watkins and his firm. As I know only too well, employing solicitors is similar to employing the Light Brigade. When the order is given to charge, those boys really know how it is done.

Donny Red and shed131 like this.
  12. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This^^^^^^^^^.... But there's also a day to day running of the club.. ordinary things like paying the milkman on time or sending emails to the right place..

But I would also add, very importantly, a man that knows.... and is happy with knowing... he's not in charge, even though it may appear to the outside world he is... And may even take some unjustified flack

If all the above are to be met.... long term.... It is not a easy job to fill, and folk should realise it takes time. That's why when you get a Mike Spinks or The Don, Clubs tend to stick with em,

13. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nigh on £50k in the last publicised accounts I believe. Not sure that represents value for money. I assume that was for legal services only so if he's been acting more as a chief executive in the last six months the time and hourly rate will have increased.

14. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is it just me that thinks it seems really wrong for the chief exec of a company to charge that company for working for them when he is the head of the company?

15. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mr Watkins will have a contract. He is ex Man United and that experience, and those contact are what he brings to Barnsley FC. He had no previous contact with Barnsley or its football club other than a friendship with Mr Cryne before his appointment. Unfortunately, those contacts and that experience all cost money, when you are not doing it purely for love. His contract will state the amount of his remuneration and the services that he provides in return. Anything that he does on top, and anything that his firm does are payable under a separate contract. There is nothing unusual about the arrangements.

16. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Surprising that on Tuesday, Mr Watkins will have been our chairman for four years. Although his first season coincided with our relegation, we are in a better place now than before he came.