The spreadsheet, stats and data.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by StatisTYKE, Nov 25, 2021.

1. StatisTYKE

StatisTYKE Well-Known Member

Rodent Disposal Operative.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If the spreadsheet is such a fantastic idea, why are we in the position we’re in? I thought it identified the best targets so, surely, we should be flying? Could it be that blind belief in data and stats overlooks the crucial human elements needed in creating a team and therefore leads nowhere at all?

Looks that way at the moment.

ubique_tyke, Redhelen and Bazza like this.
  2. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'd say at the age ranges we're looking at, and previously in some of the markets, the algorithms are off and don't adequately depict the quality of the league or build in enough risk factor based on how early the targets are in their careers.

The younger they are, the less data there is. The younger they are, the less time to experience highs and lows and measure how they react to it.

We've also got the human factor. Not all progress is linear either. You've got potential issues with a coach just not rating you and setting your career back or injuries and when they may or may not occur.

I think we've some decent players. We've seen that under various coaches. What is hard to factor in to an algorithm is how often we change coaches, styles, formations, tactics etc.

We are operating with so many variables at any given time that it would be incredible to find a system that identifies talent ahead of anyone else, cheaper than anyone else, younger than anyone else and find a new coach every 6 months with the ability to constantly get the best out of them to perform and maximise their value.

When you consider all that, it's not doing too badly!

Its the search criteria that hinders us most on the pitch,

Red Rob, Darfield138 and Redhelen like this.
  3. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They should have a squad that has two players in each position for the system favoured by the head coach. 3-4-3 is 6 centre backs. 4 wingbacks 4 central midfielders and 6 strikers.

4. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The spreadsheet is highlighting players with potential to develop. And I'd say it's doing a good job of it.

But the club are doing a terrible job of creating an environment to develop them in, this season. Going into a season with a group of midfielders aged between 19-23 was a foolish gamble.

5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Iseka and olaure weren't spreadsheet, Benson on paper looked a decent player but most of his time in league football came at league 2 grimsby who were relegated, kitchin looks okay but lacks discipline and the rest did well last season but have failed miserable this season. I actually like the spreadsheet idea of young player brought us much success over the year but the problem we now have is the owners want a profit on players and to make money so were scattergunning and buying cheap and then loaning out if not upto standard example schmidt, kane, aitchison over 2million worth of players loaned out.

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  6. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd forgot about Aitchison . Get him back.

7. StatisTYKE

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In my time I've been handed the CVs of a lot of people with amazing potential that were identified for me. When I've met and talked to them I could see potential was there but their attitude, or my judgment they wouldn't fit into my team (not sporting) meant I'd reject quite a few. To me if you're talking about a team that human element is crucial.

Geddiswasguud likes this.
  8. SFOTyke

SFOTyke Well-Known Member

Retired (Early)
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we've pushed the limits of the Lotus 123 package (for you oldies) to its limit, and it's time to upgrade to Office 365.

glavin, ScubaTyke and Donks like this.
  9. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t dispute that. But I don’t think the main issue is with any individuals we’ve signed through the spreadsheet. The main issue is Conway’s vision of the club being a footballer factory, rather than a football team

10. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is that on Windows 7?

SFOTyke likes this.
  11. Baz

Bazza Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Matty James missed out on him

12. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suspect that identifying targets is the easy part. Getting them to come to Barnsley is the crux of it. Other clubs will all have their own versions of the spreadsheet and most of them pay more than us. Our attractiveness probably also waxes and wanes with our league fortunes. We're light years away now from the club that was only a couple of wins from promotion to the Premier League. If I was a young player - or the agent of one - I wouldn't touch Barnsley with a barge pole. There's a growing list of young lads whose careers we've stunted recently, one way or another.

Stephen Dawson and wakeyred like this.
  13. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When asked the CEO said the Summer signings were from the data used at Barnsley and commented on the work James does.I know this is contrary to what Dane O Kane "believed" but it was straight from the horses mouth so to speak.Don't forget Olaure was a club target last January.

Watcher_Of_The_Skies likes this.
  14. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Feels like it’s a case of rolling out this type of question when results are poor, and then the opposite when results are positive - like last season.

Recruitment will always be mixed. Our biggest failings this season have been on the non-playing staff side in my opinion and led us in to a complete state of disarray. Finger firmly pointed at the person who oversaw the running of the club this Summer.

John Peachy, SFOTyke and Donny-Red like this.
  15. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We did it with the defence and losing our captain 2 seasons ago. We're not learning from our mistakes.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  16. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

The ceo has said alot of things i take with a pinch of salt. I'm going off reliable sources.

17. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You said and quoted Doug OKane who said he "believed" signings were not from the spreadsheet.We all know Olaure was a target in January because he said so in his press meeting when he signed.

lk311 likes this.
  18. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Doesn't mean he was from "the spreadsheet" back in January or now ritzmaier, sol, bahre were all not from the spreadsheet.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  19. StatisTYKE

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree. The thing about 'money' is it's TOTALLY about money. And that's why we're going where we're going.

20. Bri

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thats true and I used to argue when people used to say the coaches weren't allowed to bring players of there choice in.We all know that Stendel and Struber brought in players they wanted.This debate is about this summer signings where the CEO said they were from the data and talked about James work and involvement.
    Having said that the data machine might not have been working when Olaure was selected ( on last nights viewing).
    It was my first real look at him so I'll not judge him until further down the line.

Stephen Dawson likes this.