The Stefan Payne paradox

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Merde Tete, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lot of people on here seem to have written Stefan Payne of as being "not good enough". A lot of the same people on here that were clamouring for us to sign Omar Bogle. Yet a quick look at their goalscoring records shows them to be pretty much identical at 5th and 6th tier level.

The one, very major difference between Payne and Bogle, is that according to the player attributes spreadsheet used by BFC, Payne had what we were looking for, whereas Bogle was deemed very likely to struggle above League 1 level. This is the same spreadsheet that picked Marc Roberts and Angus MacDonald from the same league, who are both now arguably two of the best players in their position in this division. It's the same spreadsheet that also picked out Ethan Pinnock, who has never played above the 5th tier, but nobody seems to be making any disparaging comments about him staking a claim for a first team place next season.

Will Stefan Payne score goals at Championship level next season? Will he even play regularly? I've got no idea, but the flashes I saw of him last season, coupled with his previous goalscoring record, and Barnsley FC's record in identifying and developing players, means that in my opinion writing him off would be extremely short-sighted.

2. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did the same spread sheet pick Shaun Tuton and Kayden Jackson?

wakeyred likes this.
  3. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like the look of Payne and would like to see him stake a decent claim in preseason. Nowt else to add though as I can't see into the future.

Merde Tete likes this.
  4. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stefan Payne when fully fit was a very good player at Shrewsbury. Having lived in Shrewsbury in my teens have a lot of mates who watch them regularly. They want him back this year as by the end he was looking very sharp and causing defenses loads of problems. They weren't too impressed when he first came, but that was mainly down to sharpness and fitness which is why Hecky loaned him out.

Undoubtedly he struggled somewhat with the step straight up to the championship. If he had a couple of seasons like Bogle did at L2 it may have been easier. But he certainly looked better that a few of the strikers we've signed with more illustrious clubs on their CV.

He has a lot of raw talent. I'd really like him to do well. He was an inexpensive gamble, who if polished up will be a good player.

Kettlewell, Connor and Merde Tete like this.
  5. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was about to run down the bookie's and put money on you posting that. The spreadsheet isn't infallible, but it clearly works by and large, so I'd say there's a chance it's got it right with Payne. It also identified Winnall. He didn't exactly have the most auspicious of starts, did he?

6. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Can't defend corners apparently so not good enough according to some, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion or one they've copied parrot fashion, ie "no end product" in relation to Ryan Kent.

My own opinion is that Payne was very unlucky to get injured against Rotherham. Up to that point he was winning the fans over.

I think he should get a clean slate same as everyone else.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

7. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It picked Mawson, Yiadom, Roberts, McDonald, Scowen, Hourihane etc. I can see how there might be concerns but quite frankly I'm sick and tired of reading the same negativity day after day after day from certain people. It's getting to the point where this board is not worth the effort.

8. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that if he plays enough games he'll score goals and generally cause a nuisance. He's a strong lad and I can see why the fans thought he'd be a good addition. On the other hand we play in a particular way and the strikers are expected to defend. Hecky gave him some pretty tough criticism for not taking his defensive duties seriously and he got dropped. Just after working his way back into the team he got the injury and we've not seen him since.

If his attitude is right and he takes his responsibilities for the team seriously I think he'll play more games and we'll see the goals we were hoping for.

Connor likes this.
  9. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As far as I understood it was never an attitude issue; purely and simply a lack of experience and nous at Championship level. It's the sort of thing that can be ironed out I'm sure.

Nardiello likes this.
  10. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like the look of Payne but get the impression Hecky doesn't really fancy him. Hope he gets given more of a chance.

11. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Hecky must rate him enough to give him another chance - he was giving him game time last season when Tuton and Jackson weren't getting a sniff!
    He did loan him out, but I think he'll give Payne a fair chance to impress him in pre season and at least from the bench. We'll see if he does enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    OP when has there been " a lot of people" on here lately?

13. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Played well in his cameo roles prior to injury v reading.

Was a handful then until he bust his foot.

Gets a goal early doors and hes going to get that bit of confisence and become a beast.

Connor and fitzytyke2 like this.
  14. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's magic int it? Hopefully it can negotiate us a sweet Brexit deal too.

Quite frankly I'm sick of the huge turnover of our best players and all our recent signings being gambles. Horse for courses.

15. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry if already mentioned but my favourite moment from him was the set up for ar Josh scoring the last minute winner against QPR early season. That moment made him a real starting contender for me. Unfortunately he picked up a nasty injury shortly after so once he starts playing again I can't wait to see him link up with Bradders

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  16. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We know, you keep telling us with numbing regularity.

17. Merde Tete

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair enough. But correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't every single one of those players who left for big money also a gamble when we signed them?

Snaptin, Kettlewell, Connor and 3 others like this.
  18. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Instead of bairning abart my views, just post some of your own. I'm entitled to my opinion. You are entitled to yours. We're both entitled to ignore or to read and respond.

wakeyred likes this.
  19. churtonred

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ir seems some people currently want it both ways. They want to criticise the spread sheet as being random but then criticise the sale of the successes it generates because they've outgrown us. So the club is crap because the spreadsheet's crap and/or the club's crap because the spreadsheet works and we sell players. Let's have Kennedy and Lita back.

Xerxes, Basstyke and occook like this.
  20. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shush.... don't be coming on here pointing out the positives of everything we've done the last 18 months. We should all be dreaming of the days of Brek Shea, Emanuel Frimpong, Andy Johnson and such proven talents they brought!! None of this signing players and selling for millions. The whole sustainability model is just boring!

Kettlewell likes this.