There's a decent chance we're going down.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Nardiello, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Nardiello

Nardiello Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So how can people say it's the right decision to sell Yiadom?
    Unless we're getting 5 million for him it's pointless to sell one of our best players if it hastens our fall back to league 1.

We know we won't spend most of that fee, and what we do spend won't fetch anyone as good as Yids.

We're at crisis point and we're making our team worse.

When we go down we'll have to sell off any shining lights from this season anyway, so we'll be back to where we were in summer 2014. Great.

Tyke Far From Home and RichieD like this.
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can see your point and agree with it. We certainly shouldn't have sold Roberts but we did and have reinvested very little. I'm OK with selling Yiadom if we reinvest all the transfer money received.

3. Bossman

Bossman Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But if the reports are correct that he's been poor and showed no interest when on the pitch I.e. Pulling out of challenges what's the point in keeping him

Xerxes, Fishplate and shed131 like this.
  4. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    He clearly doesn't want to be here. I can't remember any other former player doing an interview with Sky Sports, for no other reason but to generate some interest in a move. He didn't play like his usual self on Saturday, and if that's how he would've performed throughout the season then we're better off cashing in.

We signed Yiadom for f*ck all, from Barnet, so why can't we sign somebody as good as him with the money we'll receive? Granted that things aren't looking great, at the minute, but what's the point in keeping a player that doesn't want to be here?

NathanBFC94 likes this.
  5. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you would rather keep someone that clearly doesn't want to be here and let him go for free next year?

I get your point and he is a good player for us but if he does not want to be here then we are better off selling now and getting a fee for him rather than keeping him only for him to walk for nothing

Fishplate likes this.
  6. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Arranging that interview (or his agent on his behalf) showed he didn't want to be here anymore. Footballers only see the best opportunity (with very very few exceptions), and Andy, like the others have turned their head to brighter lights and huge salaries we just can't contend with. I wish that truth weren't so, but it just is.

I agree though, we've added/ adding around £7m of extra transfer income on top of whatever we clawed in last season, £18-£20m ish? And it makes sense to unlock that money at least to secure a few more people who could make the difference.

It will still take time to gel a completely new team together and be effective, but let's at least have some patience and encourage the new guys. It's not their fault our former heroes have been sold and wanted pastures new. I know its a very unbarnsley thing to not slate people from day 1 for not being the next Maradona, but lets have some patience for those on the field. They need it and buckets of encouragement.

7. Nardiello

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we told him that he's going nowhere until the end of the season but he's free to go then, he'd not have any choice in the matter. Hecky says he's been professional - he'd have a year to put himself in the shop window.

Old Gimmer likes this.
  8. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because he's shown himself to be a bad apple, forcing it through?

Because in his two appearances this season he has at points looked a shadow of his actual self, not committing to tackles and headers as he did last season?

Because there is no point in keeping a player who doesn't want to be here if he isn't going to put a shift in?

Because his attitude has a knock on effect on the rest of the squad?

Because we are Barnsley fc, and we can't afford to keep players who have thrown their toys out of the pram and let them rot in the reserves like a premier league club might?

He wants out, he's done a bloody stupid tv interview to force it through, he's obviously a bad egg. Good footballers that are disruptive influences are no use to us. He's a good player but hardly Cafu - he wouldn't keep us up on his own and losing a good full back won't dictate whether we are competitive or not this season.

Nobody wanted him to go but as was discussed when he did the sky piece yesterday, the club didn't really have a choice.

As soon as an acceptable bid was on the table, they had to take it.

He's played one season above division four level, and thinks he's quite the International superstar. Can't blame him for wanting to play in the premier league or wanting more money but there's a way of doing things. Tara Andy, good player, but I won't miss you. Very Winnall-esque how this has come about. Some people move on in more classy ways, Hourihane, Roberts recent examples. Others don't.

9. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The lad's a bad egg. Needs to be sold for the best possible price. Unfortunately his shitty attitude has given Huddersfield the upper hand.

Donny Red likes this.
  10. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we've accepted we're going down and that we'll build again from L1.

Hate to be a doom monger, but the first 2 games illustrate how flimsy our playing squad is.

Circumstances are dictating that the future of the club comes above our status as a championship club.

Old Gimmer and RichieD like this.
  11. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't agree totally... his shitty attitude could have left him out of the team entirely with no way of proving a point to anyone. He can't further himself if he's not playing. In that case we have the upper hand. Sadly still paying wages.

Donny Red likes this.
  12. Tarnlad901990

Tarnlad901990 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let him go he doesn't want to be here. Crisis point? Don't be daft

NathanBFC94 likes this.
  13. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We haven't assembled the final team yet. There are four more players yet to come in.
    Who are they.? Will they improve us.?

Let's get Lindsay and McGeehan into the team before we start throwing the towel in.
    Maurice Lindsays " nothing less than the play offs" should be the benchmark.
    Saying that we are going down with 135 points still to play for is a tad premature surely.?

KingBenny92 and Fev Red like this.
  14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd say this seems about right. We have assembled a very good L1 side. There is still time to get some bodies in and change things but as it stands seems bang on to me.

15. Nardiello

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But we're paying those new players wages that we won't be able to afford in league 1. We'll have to sell the best of the crop and so we'll be left bang average. Complete waste of the last 2 years

16. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Im OK with finding the right replacement, regardless of how much we spend of Yiadom's fee.

17. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Could I borrow your crystal ball before Saturday please? You have so much faith in it that it must be a good one so let it predict my winning lottery numbers.

Seriously - come on!! You have NO idea what is happening this week, next week, next month regarding player comings and goings. To say that we couldn't pick up another like Yiadom is rubbish and you know it. He came from nowhere and will make us a tidy profit. How do you know that Pearson, or McCarthy, or someone else already at the club isn't going to be as good if not better?

Don't bother answering that because you know no more than I, or thousands of others, know.

18. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll start to worry about relegation after ten games or so.

Not one - especially given we always seem to lose the first game, we always seem to lose at Bristol City.

People said the same this time last year after losing at Ipswich - but not as many moans as expectations were lower; but then increased, due to the side performing a lot better than folk expected up to January. After that moans kicked in. My view is I accept what they're trying, and we can't always over perform, but we can have a good go.

We've got four or five still to come in, weve got a young forward from Chelsea in Ike Ugbo who looks promising, we have in Tom Bradshaw a striker who whilst having much to prove still scored eight last season, and with having experienced a full season at this level should kick on.

We have a load of new players that are yet to completely settle and adjust.

We might get relegated. We might not.

But I can't disagree that ensuring that the club is still here in ten or twenty years is more important than ensuring its in the championship for one more so I don't see what else we might expect the club to do.

It's not like they aren't spending anything at all, they're actively trying to bring more in too.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  19. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's all a bit melodramatic. If the past 18 months has taught us anything it's that people are crap judges of teams and players.

YTBFC likes this.
  20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You get what you pay for. If you continually sell your best players and replace them with 'maybe in 18 months time' there's only one way you are going backwards imo.