These arguments about VT slowing the game down....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tekkytyke, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Surely delays in play can be minimised if :

OFFSIDE:
    The offside flag is raised the referee notes it and the VR goes into action whilst play continues. If a goal results the VR is invoked, if play breaks down without a goal then continue play. If another foul occurs against the attacking side in the passage of play immediately after the flag is raised again the VR is invoked and the offside decision takes precedence. i.e. a free kick to the defending team from where the offside occurred- It the post offside foul was violent the offending player can still be yellow or red carded even though technically that passage of play was void as play is taken back to the point where the offside flag was raised (correctly). If the flag was incorrect then the goal stands.
    PENALTIES:
    A contentious foul in penalty area - VR whilst play continues. If correct penalty is given and play is called back for the penalty, if not play continues as normal, If the attacking player is seen to have dived he is booked (my view is it should be a red card offence) at the first dead ball situation (throw in etc) If he should score in the intervening period passage of play, then the goal wold be ruled ineligible.
    SERIOUS FOULS ON THE FIELD OF PLAY.
    VR Would not delay play as usually there is a delay for treatment of an injured player or, if within shooting range, arranging the wall , pacing out 10 yards etc. In that time the VR can decide if it was a foul. If it was a foul then as per normal continue with free kick, book or dismiss offender. If a dive (book or dismiss the perpetrator of the dive.
    GOAL LINE WAS IT A GOAL?
    Dont stand around debating with the liensman and referee, if cleared off the line, play on as normal. If VR shows it did cross line, stop play award a goal. If the clearance results in a corner, slight pause awaiting . Currently referees sometimes award a goal and then, after debating with the linesman change the decision resulting in delays and confusion.

The only issue is that if incidents came thick and fast it could be be difficult to monitor and evaluate two or more incidents whilst play is continuing. However, that situation would be quite rare, most VR systems can record multiple sources with simultaneous playback and recording an in any case, it is better than what we have now. It may require that there are two officials in the VR suite to handle that though.

What have I missed?

2. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    agree. But I think they should stop the clock till its sorted, like they do in Rugby Union games. This would be better achieved by an independent timekeeper.

3. NorthantsRed

NorthantsRed New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that making diving an instant red would be too far. Instead we should consider a dive by its apparent intention, whether to get a set piece or to get an opponent in trouble.

Fulfilling one of these would result in a yellow, and both would be a red, unless the dive is particularly cynical. I do agree that diving should be more harshly dealt with though.

I would also say that the drastic changes suggested recently would need to be introduced slowly as not to put too much strain on the refs, who aren't that bright for the most part.