These new owners

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Extremely Northern, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fair's fare EN, to use an Americanism, the new owners/board have "stepped up to the plate" this window impressed with the calibre of ..yoof signings". Dougal looks to be a bit of class. But most of all standing firm and knocking back offers for our own players, something we've never done...
    No longer ..little Barnsley ... the push over. A doff of the cap, well impressed

14.gif

churtonred likes this.
  2. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He didnt get 23, 17 league goals in 41 league games in a play off side.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=51785&season_id=145

I like Tom but l dont think he's Championship quality probably why Millwall didnt up their offer. In the bigger Championship picture he's now started more than 50 games in the championship and over 25 off the bench, he's not yet reached 20 goals.

Redstone and fitzytyke2 like this.
  3. springvale red

springvale red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Hall of fame has been in the planning since last summer ( before take over) and a joint media and marketing initiative by Andy Clarke and Andy White in conjunction with marketing department. Also the mural by Ben Mosely was also organized last year I think, been a year in planning.The new owners have done some good things but these things were planned before they came so credit must surely go to others mentioned. Some might ask how I know these snippets, well I'm on the panel for the Hall of Fame and must say it's been a great project to work on. We all have our favorite players from over the years and no doubt if they reach the criteria then most will get inducted into HoF.

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm far from convinced by our new owners.

Not wanting to have a row with anyone about it, I just don't see what they've done to deserve any credit. Almost everything they are credited with is the work of someone else.

PLOBBY and Jimmy viz like this.
  5. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    … which goes back to my point regarding poor communication ;-)

Credit goes to whoever sets these things in motion, overseas them, and fulfils them. So several things i'm sure straddle the ownership divide of old and new. So very well done to all concerned for the good, and shek thissen…. for those who ballsed up on things that haven't gone so well.

6. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

67 appearances for Walsall and 34 goals better than 1 in 2 in this league for them. Im same i dont think he is or if he is its lower end championship. I'm glad we kept him anyway he has less than 12 months left on his contract so he has alot to play for.

7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Hand dryers in bogs

Abruzzo Red likes this.
  8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I take it all back :)

redrum likes this.
  9. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No doubt, said from the start of the summer, 40 goals in him and Moore and 90 pts. If we go up, we need two new strikers.

jedi one likes this.
  10. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Every board we've had has been on the receiving end of criticism. With some folk it appears to be a natural 'go to' stance whoever is running the club.

11. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So in the next 12 months can we expect the solar panels, a fit for purpose video board, proper bar in the Ponty and all the other stuff we were promised over the past 10 years?

12. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the previous board did great in retaining interest of departing players and the new board have sanctioned 7 signings during the last window,a million pound bid for Joe Williams ,the signing of Dougall and keeping our current squad together.It seems to me we appear to be in good hands as they continue the good work done by Patrick.

13. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have three key players in the team Dougall, Bradshaw and Moore - if one of these drops out then a huge hole ‘could’ appear.

All other positions are covered.

14. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we have done very well to keep the squad together & bring in a few more youngsters.

A loan deal or two, particularly for wide players would be good. Both Hedges & Isgrove are made of glass & we might need to play Thiam up front if Moore / Bradshaw are out. Potts can be used out wide, I see him a lot like Marley Watkins, a bit of a handful, with power & pace, but I think in a central role he would be better utilised. I thought Moncur might move on, but maybe no one came in for him. His effort last season was abysmal, so not surprising. Maybe the new coach can get him to get up to speed.

I'm very optimistic & glad to see we are promoting players from the U23's, as we should be using our academy as a source as much as possible.

If we could get Bradshaw to sign a new deal, that would be the icing on the cake. Now the window has closed he may listen to offers, if no one has come up with a credible bid.

Marlon likes this.
  15. MonkeyRed

MonkeyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    C+ for me.

Let's not forget this is the board who appointed Morais. An absolute disaster of an appointment the scale of which I don't recall there being a precedent for in my time watching Barnsley. I've no doubt someone who knew what they were doing would have kept us up, just.

Then the communications and decision making around season ticket sales was diabolical. I know it might not seem that way to everyone. But if a season ticket is a major financial commitment to you and not a given or you don't use the internet then you've every reason to feel aggreived.

Getting shirts on sale the week before the season starts seems another balls up. Whether the board are to blame I don't know.

But transfer wise things seem to be working well. I'd prefer to have seen us keep Mallan and McCarthy and certainly Hammill in favour of some others but that's my opinion. Looks like we may have made some shrewd signings and we've kept the players we want.

Stendel and his staff seem to have a clear idea of what they want and are getting it across. The lack of English is a worry but hopefully that'll come. It feels like we're stable, competitive and organised on the pitch.

So, they aren't perfect but they are certainly miles better than a Venkys or Chansiri who are brazen gamblers or simply in it for egotistical reasons. They are competent characters who seem to appreciate us as fans and our heritage.

Don't understand those who either lambast them or refuse to be vocally negative. The future's promising, but we owe it to those who have worked hard for the club previously to hold the custodians to account.

Steve Wood and PLOBBY like this.
  16. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    t
    tis true , they were in charge when we went down so they'll get some credit when they achieve promotion and therefore equilibrium . Theres far too many fans getting a hard on after a win against a poor team and keeping hold of Bradshaw .

Jimmy viz likes this.
  17. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hammill could sign for us at any time.

These guys are not going to splurge a load of cash, but keep our assets. Moore was signed on a long deal, as have been many of the new lads, where not, there is an option in the club's favour to extend. Time to make our academy work for us, either via our own players coming through the ranks, or signing players who are on the verge of first team football. That sounds like a proper "plan". The old plan wasn't really thought through enough. Not a criticism of PC, he had enough to deal with at the time. Just to say lessons look to have been learned.

BobT, Merde Tete and TitusMagee like this.
  18. Old Goat

Old Goat Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The seeds of relegation were sown long before the new owners took over. Ok, they took a gamble with Morais and it didn't pay off, but 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm not sure any other manager would have got much more out of the players from January onward, the wheels had well and truly come off by then. As far as I'm concerned, everybody starts this season with a clean slate, including the owners. So far I have nothing to complain about - we're still looking for good young talent whilst retaining most of the existing squad.

BobT, bfc1001 and Red CB like this.
  19. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's an argument for saying that our new owners take every decision based upon what brings more cash to them at the end of the day, rather than what brings results on the pitch.

They were cool about our relegation.

They keep hold of our assets in order to cash in on them at a later date. It's an inflationary market.

They invest in new raw young talent largely because of an anticipated return in future years. Not to improve the present first team squad.

They let McCarthy go, not because he isn't good enough, but because it will allow another more potentially lucrative sale to materialise by virtue of giving a youngster his place.

They don't bother too much about our league position, as long as the asset pool is increasing in value.

(not saying it's true like)

PLOBBY likes this.
  20. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d rather keep £3 million worth of players than have shirts in club shop 4 weeks earlier

Indie Red, lk311 and TitusMagee like this.