They did a good job on us

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by mansfield_red, Feb 19, 2019.

1. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pressed us first half to stop us playing, then they realised we were overcoming that so they changed it second half. They decided they were happy to let us have the ball in our own half and would instead restrict our options coming forward and play for a draw. They were tight on everyone and moved their centre forward to left back to cover any diagonal balls from Lindsey or Mowatt if he dropped deep. Mowatt had a (rare) poor game and so we couldn't work our way through it, and without Moore's physicality we didn't have many alternative options. We could have carried on until Christmas and we wouldn't have scored.

Having said that, we defended effectively, Pinnock was immense and they created even less than us. On another day we score one of the chances in the first 20 minutes, they have to come at us and we batter them. A bad day at the office for sure, but another game unbeaten, a clean sheet and we move on.

2. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Think we missed Moore or another striker option beyond Woodrow.

Kettlewell likes this.
  3. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Fair summary that

Tykeored likes this.
  4. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just said same on way out

5. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    spot on assessment

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  6. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Excellent that. Said to mate they can't possibly keep up as they did the first 15 minutes. 100 mile an HR not allowing us any freedom of movement. After that thought we'd score. Took it to em in the period after, up to half time. Can't understand why a lot never give an opposing team credit. Are they only allowed to let us play our game. ?

7. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’re right, they were effective and hardworking. However 11 thousand people went to enjoy a game of football not watch one team play under 11s 70s hit and hope. I get that boring Nigel’s there to do a job but burtons fans must want to look at burning magnesium rather than watch that every week.

8. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I also like a game of football. But sometimes tactics come into the game to achieve a positive outcome. I remember on several occasions this season where we’ved hoofed it anywhere. In the last 10/15 minutes or so when under severe pressure. masses in the crowd blowing the whistle. Trying to play football goes out the window. People I spoke to actually enjoyed the game. Burton played some good football at times. Not hit and hope. They were the tactics under Wimbledon and teams managed by warnock. on that I agree. Awful to watch. But damn it, it worked.
    Ps would like to agree with you on the 11000 going to watch a game of football but sadly a lot go to see a winning side. If we’d not been in the position we are and languishing mid table you could knock a sizeable number off that. Dare I say it season ticket holders as well . I’m a dyed in the wool Barnsley fan, but also a realist.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019