This latest police shooting

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by BarnsleyReds, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's not true though no matter how much a catchy cartoon pretends it is.

2. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Apparently the police appear to think a man who was shot in the back seven times and is lying in a hospital bed paralysed may make a run for it. That surely?? can be the only explanation as to why he is handcuffed to the bed.

Un-fu**ing-believable!!

Redhelen likes this.
  3. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Standard practice in America. If you are a criminal and you're arrested and taken to hospital you're handcuffed. He may not be able to walk but his family can

mykie133 likes this.
  4. Tob

Tobys Knackers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I hate this sort of thing - not that I imagine anyone particularly enjoys it - but I'm talking about the debate that follows.

People tend to see this, forgive the crudity of the pun, as a black and white issue.

Those who believe it's racially motivated will see no harm in what the victim did (and I say victim because he is paralysed and let's face it was shot 7 times in the back).

Those who are fed up of the "race card" will point to the fact that this bloke clearly and wilfully ignored instructions from people pointing guns at him - walked round his vehcile, opened the door and leaned inside - he has himself to blame.

I genuinely can't understand the video. I watch it once and I think what the **** are they doing - they shot him 7 times in the back, why didn't they grab him and wrestle him to the ground instead of shooting him.

I watch it a second time and think why didn't the idiot just put his hands on the bonnet - what was he thinking.

I've seen some awful videos of Police brutality from America - some guy (black) not winding his window down quick enough, getting it shot out and dragged out of the car. Anyone who tries to say that there aren't racist cops in the USA is wrong.

But then, take this incident, that happens in the UK, you get told to stand still and ignore them to get in the car and you'll get a baton across the back of the legs and taken to the floor.

Guns rather than race is the issue in THIS incident, in my view. I think the Police genuinely feared he was going for one - but the good ole USA will never accept that guns are a problem - it's absolutely bizarre.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  5. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Plus as always with cases like this. One angle doesnt tell the whole story.
    In the reverse angle which doesn't have someone talking over it you see he has something in his hand, you see that the police had already attempted to get him on the floor and he had stood up with the police backing off shouting he's got a knife and his fiancée shouting at him to drop it.

As you say, the amount of guns is what is to blame here not his skin colour

Trickster Two Six likes this.
  6. Red Lemonade

Red Lemonade Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well this is what gets you charged with resisting arrest. If you're black in Amerikkka...

7. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    It’s almost like the people that want to see sex offenders put to death want that as a punishment following a trial, not as a decision made by a cop.

Weird.

Maybe you can have it both ways...

(Note: I’m not advocating for the death penalty)

8. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some yes but there are a hell of a lot of people who say things like 'if I got my hands on him I'd kill him' long before a conviction has been found.

Back to the case of jacob Blake it's looking more and more justified with every passing day.

Police were called because of him, not the original claim that he was simply an innocent person trying to split up a fight.
    New video emerges showing police had attempted to arrest him and he had physically resisted, not the original claim that he had simply wandered around unchallenged until being shot.
    New video with clearer audio emerges where it is heard both the police and his fiancée/partner shouting that he had a knife in his hand when he was being followed around the car which explains the safe distance being maintained.
    Police and witnesses state that a none lethal taser was originally used but failed as opposed to the idea that police immediately went for a gun.
    Knife is found in the exact position that Blake reached to within the car.
    Police state that his identity was known due to the call so police knew of his outstanding warrant for gun crime totally explaining why they believed he was reaching for a gun.

Things aren't always what our prejudice or willingness to take what we are told as gospel lead us to believe.

Trickster Two Six likes this.
  9. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The point they would have been justified in shooting should have been when he threatened them with a knife rather than walking away from them or when he produced his non existent gun.

10. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How long does it take to fire a gun?

A known violent criminal with outstanding warrants for gun crimes physically resists arrest, grabs a knife and reaches for something. How long would you wait before protecting yourself?

11. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not a member of the police. What you seem to be saying is that it's ok to shoot someone who does not have a gun and then say it's ok because he might have had one.
    Police volunteer for the job they do. It's their job to police with minimum necessary force, not act as execution squads.
    What you also seem to be saying is that if someone has a record of gun crimes and they so much as put their hand in their pocket it's a green light to fill them full of bullets.
    I don't know what weird crusade you're on with deaths at the hands of police in America ST but there was no need for this particular situation to end up with a guy having seven bullets fired into him.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    Donny-Red and TitusMagee like this.
  12. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not what I said at all. What I said is that of someone with a history of violent and gun crime arms himself with a knife, ignores all reasonable police instructions and reaches for something inside a car then yes he deserves everything he gets.

HE was the instigator in this. Police were called because of his actions. He armed himself with a knife, he refused to do as he was told. He reached for something. He's to blame for someone taking defensive actions.

I've got no problem with blaming police when they do wrong. The kneeling on George Floyd was indefensible, the murder of Daniel shaver was indefensible, the shooting of peyman bahadoran who had been disarmed was indefensible, the shooting of an armed man with a violent gun history who was reaching into an hidden area for something whilst resisting arrest? Completely his own doing.

What's my crusade? Simply to have incidents looked at in isolation and not make prejudiced decisions based preconceived thoughts that any time a black guy gets shot it must be racism which many in this thread have said directly and indirectly. It creates fear and causes more deaths.

You scream and shout that every police officer is a bad person out to kill you and you c relate fear, create fear and you create irrational responses, create irrational responses and you cause deaths.

Instead of automatically painting the police as evil killers why not accept that sometimes their actions are justified? Instead of focusing on those refusing to do as they're told are shot (and if you put the effort in you'll see that it's almost always in self defence) why not look at the stats and say you know what, the amount of times anyone complies with lawful instructions and gets shot is infinitely small. Send that message out to the American public and maybe just maybe it will see a drop in deaths.

Edit: by the way I realise that everyone makes their comments with good intentions so I'm not having a go at anyone. The reason you don't want police to shoot people (I don't either) isn't to have more police shot, it's to have less people killed at all. We just have different views on how to achieve that goal.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    ScubaTyke and Loko the Tyke like this.
  13. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just seen this bizarre interview tweet. Reporters face is a classic when he hears the first response.