This season

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fitzytyke2, Mar 5, 2017.

1. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Representing the differing opinions of some of our fans in simple monetary terms.

You find a tenner, and then lost 2 quid along the way.

Some people will moan about losing the 2 quid.

Others will appreciate still having 8 quid more than they started with.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

2. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've loved every minute this season.Holding our own against the top boys in our division has been special.You can't please all the people all the time but for me I get the same buzz as I did when I started watch Barnsley 51 years ago.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  3. fit

This is exactly what I'm getting at. The season has been far better than all of us can can have expected. A real bonus season.

I know some will say we could have done even better, but to have been in the top half all season long is an achievement in itself.

That's not me being easily pleased, or a happy clapper. Just a middle aged bloke that has seen almost 4 decades of the reds.

4. Sam

SambaTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh I think this season has been an unequivocal success and I'd say 95% of supporters would agree to that. A lot of us expected a very hard slog and quite possibly a return to League One, at best a lower-mid table season taking a few hammerings along the way. Instead we've comfortably survived, played some exciting, attacking football and got results against sides I'd have bever expected us to. We've defied the odds time and again and managed to compete in practically every game.

However, our aim for the next couple of seasons won't be to go up or get into the play offs. I doubt we could realistically set such a lofty target unless we suddenly got a rich investor onboard. Our recruitment model doesn't necessarily allow for a sustained, continued push towards promotion. Rather, it's a fluid, inter-changable continously selling and replacing strategy. We may therefore have to settle for a good few seasons of simply competing at this level rather than necessarily excelling. That is why, in a season where I believe anyone in the top half could have made a push for promotion through the play-offs, there is a lingering frustration that we could have done more. A better January could have seen us do the unthinkable. Such an opportunity may not present itself again for a lot of years. But that shouldn't detract from the outstanding achievement of securing safety in February nor the tremendous job Hecky has done. It's been a great season thus far. Perspective is needed and may well be needed should we slide a little between now and May. But at the same time I do get the frustrations of many who saw this as a very rare chance to sneak into the Top 6.

Redstar and fitzytyke2 like this.
  5. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My thoughts exactly, @SambaTyke. It's been a fantastic season, but it was our chance to get into the playoffs and, for whatever reason, we threw it away. I'd be as happy as anything if we made top 10, but it'll be bittersweet - this season could have been so much more.

6. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I completely see where you're coming from but I think January was just a bit of a perfect storm in terms of players' performances, contract lengths, and desires to leave. Let's not also forget that we were 18th at the start of December and getting in the play-offs would have required a massive effort and would have been very difficult even with our best players. With them there may even have been a run of 7 points in 11 games like there was earlier in the season

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  7. fit

When you're a club that brings in players and polishes them up, a transfer window is always going to have an adverse effect on results.

The only way you're going to replace a Winnall or hourihane like for like is to spend money, which isn't within the club's remit.

Tomorrow's winnalls and hourihanes could already be on our radar, but will be works in progress.

The plan is great, and it's worked well to get us promoted, got us a foothold in this league, and brought in money, but it it's a long term plan and will always be susceptible to people coming in for our better players.

8. loy

loyal tyke mb Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Historically been a selling club difficult to progress in those circumstances but whatever happens now a memorable season over 30000 at Derby yesterday 28000 at Hillsbrough and 22000 at Forest and we are still competitive.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  9. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The first half of the season, indeed the whole of 2016, was a great time for the club and great to be a fan of it. 2017 with our poor transfer window and diminished performances on the pitch has started differently but there is still time to go both for the rest of this season and for the rest of the year.

I don't think it will happen, because Hecky isn't Keef but if we have a Hill style collapse and say lose 10 of our remaining matches relatively heavily narrowly avoiding relegation will you still feel the same? People are too quick to judge about lots of things including football. Too quick to post devisive posts like this which position themselves as the ' better fan' because of how they perceive things without allowing someone else to think differently.

10. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely spot on. Some people don't get how close we actually were to Wednesday and Leeds at that time.

11. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm definitely in that camp, it's been brilliant.

99% of Reds fans would have been happy with a 21st place finish at the start of the season.

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  12. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course we would but the operative part of that is "at the start of the season". Given we were 1 point out of the top 6 at one stage it is only natural to wonder "what might have been" and carry a little dissapointment that we fell away. None of that is a slight on Hecky or the players at all.

13. fit

Yes, I agree with that, but that's not what I'd count as never being happy.

Some have moaned and groaned all season.

14. fit

I'm just definitely camp!

[​IMG]

15. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great post Jim.

16. fit

This posts not intended to be divisive or to demonstrate that I'm a "better fan" as you put it.

It was just a analogy of how I see the season compared to others.

Of course everyone's welcome to their opinion of how things have gone, or might go, but as I see it far more to be happy about than not.

17. fit

Pardon me for being positive lads, but whatever happens between now and the end of the season won't take away some of the great stuff we've produced this season.

The 8 away wins for starters. If we don't win another away game we've still done fantastically on the road.

Club have made great strides, yet it's "what if we lose the next 10?"

Ask me if it happens, until it does I can't comment.

18. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or more accurately you invest £10 and that investment turns into £100. You get the chance that invest the money again with a chance of really high rewards but instead you take the £100 and bury it on saddleworth moor without making a note of where it is.

Are you happy because you now own £100 but it is of no use to you? Or do you wish you had invested the money again?

19. fit

Ah but that's a totally different matter.

I'm talking about football. What goes off, or you think goes off behind the scenes is a totally different agenda.

20. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)