This summers recruitment

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brian Mahoneys Waist, May 7, 2017.

1. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Will it be any different to last summer? After Wembley we lost a lot of players and had to sign players somewhat blindly hoping they would be good enough for the Championship.This pre season I'm sure the club will be more aware of whats required and I think that will show in the quality we bring in and an increased budget to achieve our aims.No gloom and doom from me.I've loved every minute of our Championship season and I look forward to next season being as memorable.

2. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

It's going to be more of the same I think. Players from leagues one and two.

I'd like to think we were going to pick up a few players from other championship clubs, but wages would probably be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Kettlewell likes this.
  3. onemickybutler

onemickybutler Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The biggest concern at the moment is the lack of CEO. If we don't get that sorted quick we could miss a few targets. Mystery why it has taken so long......

4. Sam

SambaTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it will be more diffcult this year. Where as last summer we needed to blend some quality in to an already eager, competent bunch, this year feels more like a total revamp is in order. I'm hoping the re-emergence of Moncur and future potential of Mowatt gives us existing options, but still a good few signings are needed.

Agree with above with regard to it being League One and League Two players. I have no issue with this and signing the best up and coming players is exciting and should create a real buzz and enthusiasm with players wanting to prove themselves. The issue is though that the top League One players could well be out of our price range. Even a John Marquis or Omar Bogle from League 2 are too expensive. It's an unenviable task when we cannot compete with wages. I'd be surprised if we had any less than 5 loan players again in August, such is the way it tends to be at this level. A very exciting but anxious summer awaits.

5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Much more difficult.

We came up with a decent number of first team regulars. We recruited to fill in the gaps. This time there is just a big gap where the team should be. We need to recruit 10 first team players plus 5/6 good enough to be challenging squad members. Even with 5 loans it will be a stretch.

I'd expect us to be recruiting from the same places. Trying to convince Ollie Watkins and Cameron McGheehan the value of the plan. leagues 1/2, Scotland, abroad, Premier League Youth teams.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fans Forum

6. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ollie Watkins is someone who definitely won't be coming here. Another championship club have already made an approach & were told £2.5m

7. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Out of contract June 17

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

8. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ye that's what they're demanding to avoid it going to a tribunal

9. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We're allowed to sign players ? To try and improve the team ? **** me I thought this was it like.

monkey tennis likes this.
  10. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We'll probably do what we normally do, wait until the date contracts expire, is that end of June/july, and then find all "potential" targets have already been snapped up and we are left to pick over the remains, in panic mode, of those unable to hold down places in the junior Sunday leagues.
    We may get one or two of these in for the latter stages of preseason.

11. Arc

ArchieRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wouldn't you think that a few deals would have been started already??
    How can we be doing the business without someone to broker the deals??
    Our recruitment over the last few seasons has been excellent, a good mix of astute signings & loans, we are now being considered as a club to send up & coming players to, so to further develop them.

However the structure we had for doing this has now gone & not replaced, this is the biggest concern out of everything for me, no CEO for half a season & now no CEO to start off next season's push to enable us to remain in this league.

If we don't get it sorted, miss out on the limited amount of players that are affordable & available to us, it will be our own fault when we slide down the league, the manager gets pissed off & leaves, then we really are in the ****......

Worrying times, with little communication & action coming from the club??

12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They have no chance. We sold Bree because we knew we would be lucky to get more than half a million and he had played at a higher level.

13. MexboroughTyke

MexboroughTyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It's probably a very hopeful value to try and improve what they receive at a tribunal. They'll probably struggle to even get a million for him.

14. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    IMO we need better cover for Adam Davies. We have been recruiting younger players in the past but there are two older keepers available on frees who could do a job for us and push Adam.

Lee Camp could be leaving the Millers and Neil Etheridge of Walsall could be on the move also. He is 6'2" and started out at Chelsea before moving on to Fulham. Warnock is apparently keen on Lee Camp having worked with him.

A useful addition for us could be Frankie Bunns lad ( remember him) Harry who is currently plying his trade at Huddersfield.