Thoughts on yesterday

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Jay, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    First half was pretty much as bad as it gets. Burton score early, then sit back and ask the question, "Have you got enough about you to break us down?" The answer from us was a resounding "No".

Williams had a shot from distance that was at least 10 yards wide, Hammill got one cross into the box and that was pretty much it. The majority of the half consisted of Mills and Lindsay exchanging passes deep within our own half before one of them got bored and punted it into the crowd. Continental tactics with an English formation producing results as bad as that combination sounds.

Late on Burton had a great chance to double their lead but fluffed it, before a decent strike from a dubious free kick beat Townsend easily. 2-0. Dead and relegated.

Thiam replaced Isgrove at half time, who can have no complaints, he was woeful, and Potts came on for Hammill just before the hour as we changed to Morais' preferred formation of 4-2-3-1. For the next 10 minutes we got to see 11 professional football players who genuinely had no idea what the hell they were supposed to be doing. It was almost funny. McBurnie stuck out his arms and you could read the body language from the back of The Ponty, "I didn't come here to play on the ******* wing."

Moore replaced the ineffectual Bradshaw, who looks shot, and we gradually pushed more and and more players up front until we were eventually playing with a flat front 6 of Thiam, Gardner, Millls, Moore, Potts and McBurnie with Pinillos and Yiadom pinging balls into the box from any angle.

We were actually far more effective doing this than trying to play football, which looks way beyond us, and it was much more exciting than the first half. Playing six up front and launching it will do that.

Is the team we finished with a credible option to start a game against decent opposition who are not knackered and not simply trying to defend a very, very precious three points? I don't think so, I think we'd get murdered. Having said that, I'm not sure there is a formation and team selection from this group of players who can provide the necessary points to escape relegation.

Only couple of players worthy of comment from the starting 11 were the two full backs who look decent players to me.

Moore diverted the ball into the net for the goal and won half a dozen knock downs in the area, just a pity no one had the nous to get on to them. McBurnie, the one player who probably has, was stuck out on the wing. Our long ball tactics suited Moore and he did the best he could with what he was given.

I don't believe Potts has the necessary skills to play at this level and nothing I saw last night changed that opinion, but he was determined and strong and looked like he cared and caused the opposition difficulties and that put him way ahead of the majority of the rest of the team.

After the game there were four of us in the pub discussing Thiam. Two reckoned he was the best player we have. Me and another were completely bewildered by this opinion. I'm not going to pull him apart, he's one of our players. I'll leave it with the saying that I just don't rate him in any way. I've never known a player capable of splitting opinions so widely.

In reality yesterday didn't relegate us. We're not cast adrift at the bottom of the league. But it felt like it. And in my opinion, the longer the season goes on the poorer we get. Our players are now known by opposition managers, as are our strengths (limited as they are) and weaknesses of which there are many. The opposition know how to beat us, and they do, regularly and easily.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exceptionally good post.

3. Jul

Julian Broddle's Perm Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, very well summarised.
    Interesting point about Thiam dividing opinion. Someone I work with, sits on the East Upper and thinks he's a tremendous player. He must see more than I can from the Ponty as I'm really struggling to see a player there. I assume he's been a bit of a flare player at his previous, lower standard, clubs as he seems to have some grand ideas, but they simply never come off. Maybe if he kept it simple, he could possibly be effective, but I've seen enough now. Dave Regis Mk.II

4. madmark62

madmark62 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Interestingly, he has the exact same record as Regis !
    played 16 scored 1 goal. At the same level too, yet Regis is the one that is laughed at !!

Tyke Far From Home likes this.
  5. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Last time we won a game a Thiam contributed to the performance massively.

He also played the lone striker role better than anyone else has this season.

It’s poor that he hasn’t started since.

Dub-Tyke and ScubaTyke like this.
  6. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post as usual Jay.

My concern is two fold. The quality of players, and the cohesion of the team.

The first we can do little about now. A few look capable of playing football at this level. A number don’t. Nothing will change that between now and summer.

However if they all knew what was expected of them, there was a solid and clear game plan, and they executed it perfectly then there would be a slight hope we could play better than the sum of all parts. However yesterday sent up a huge red balloon to suggest that even playing a simple 4-4-2 they looked like a team of utter strangers with little or no idea of what was expected of them. The tactics, formation and teamwork, if anything, just highlighted even more the lack of individual quality.

If it was the start of the season I would say give it 10 games for the new bloke to get his message across. We don’t have 10 games. He needs to make an immediate impact for us to have any chance of staying up. Last night was a giant step backwards rather than the leap forward most of us preyed for.

I’m somewhat resigned now to League 1. If anything I see us getting worse, not better, as the season goes on. I sincerely hope I am wrong, and José can turn our squad into a well functioning team. If he does he will be a miracle worker in my eyes.

Afies Dad likes this.
  7. Win

Winchester Tyke Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great post Jay. Enjoyed chasing in the pub last night

8. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Wonderful summary

9. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sharp stones??? (in joke!:D)
    PHILISTINE!!!

10. WES

WESTSTANDBOGGY Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought Thiam did well when he came on linked well with Yids but his crosses were lacking although he did manage a couple that required someone to just stick a boot out. To me it looked like we were playing wing backs and ignoring the wingers who then became redundant and totally lost - really appeared the players hadn't a clue until second half when it became lump it up and hope - Burton made us look pretty poor and we were. Really need a plan the players can buy into or even understand and has the coach got the time and the nouse and the players the intelligence - I hope so

11. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great post Jay. I can see that I will not be missed.

12. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It looked to me like a team of young or journeymen footballers who have encountered a new foreign coach with all sorts of ideas and didn't really understand what they were being asked to do.

Hopefully a bit more work in training will sort that out...hopefully.

sitting bull, Kettlewell and Marlon like this.
  13. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sometimes football is over complicated, I hope that Jose sees the obvious above the noise of everything; Football is about space - its about finding space when you have the ball and denying space when you don't. That first half we gave Burton players space between the back four and the midfield like a team of Sunday morning pub drunks and when we had the ball it was so ponderous as to be laughable. We need to move the ball quicker in shorter passes instead of fannying about and then trying to make the worlds best 60 yard pass - this comes down to players taking responsibility with and without the ball - some of the passengers needs a kick up the backside or some time to contemplate their career in the U23s.
    Good post Jay, Sometimes football is over complicated, I hope that Jose sees the obvious above the noise of everything; Football is about space - its about finding space when you have the ball and denying space when you don't. That first half we gave Burton players space between the back four and the midfield like a team of Sunday morning pub drunks and when we had the ball it was so ponderous as to be laughable. We need to move the ball quicker in shorter passes instead of fannying about and then trying to make the worlds best 60 yard pass - this comes down to players taking responsibility with and without the ball - some of the passengers needs a kick up the backside or some time to contemplate their career in the U23s.

14. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Although I have sympathy with the overall message Jay, if you are unable to appreciate how well Thiam did it sort of detracts from the post's credibility (in my eyes anyway). Opinions eh?

15. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have an opportunity now to change and move forward after 12 months ago our team was ripped apart due to money, the following 12 months has been transitional but unfortunately our coach wasn't up to the job, he's now gone and we have hired an incredibly experienced coach who will sort this mess out of that I have no doubt. We can judge the past but no one knows what's going to happen over the coming weeks and months but this man will change the team, formation, players and mentality and hopefully keeping us up.

16. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thiam did well he got involved and looked to drive forward, there were much worse performances than his.

ScubaTyke likes this.
  17. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought he did ok when he came on, tried to show some attacking purpose. But his legs don’t agree with his head sometimes and that makes him look like Nudger looking at himself in the mirror.

18. Tru

TrueRed92 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Potts did really well.. & I’m his biggest critic, he’s been poor all season but yesterday he tried and he got about abit

19. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with most of that apart from the continental tactics because I thought the tactics were practically identical to heckingbottoms tactics and hills and flitcrofts and Wilson's. Negative 2 defensive midfielders and **** all in the next 80 yards till you get to the strikers resulting in passes between the centre backs followed by a big boot. We've seen it far too often at oakwell and I don't think it's anything continental it's just managers knowing g his players are **** so defending for their life

20. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At times Thiam looked like he had never heard of football.

Redstone likes this.