Town centre druggies.....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by judith charmers, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Alcohol is factor in many more cases of mental illness than drugs. Are you leading a campaign for it to be made illegal?

If a teenager kid tries an E I’d rather it be tested and safe not laced with summat that may kill them quid you clearly feel differently that’s fine it takes all sorts.

3. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I think the problem with the legalising argument, is that while ever there is money to be made, the dealers will simply find a new potent and cheaper alternative so the law makers will be simply chasing their tails(like they are with the so-called legal highs).

Then there is also the issue of different countries legalising different levels of the drug. For example, if we legalise an extacy pill that is a certain recipe(which our expert feel is safe), but Holland(for example) thinks a much more potent version is safe, you then have people trying to smuggle the stronger stuff in, negating the effects of legalising the stuff has had in the first place.

4. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If a teenager wants to try an Email rather 5han saying it's ok or encouraging it I think if we ALL condemned it there would be far less addicts and dead kids. Just a thought

5. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you encourage people to die of liver related diseases by not Campaigning to close every pub in the land. Kids have been experimenting since Noah were a lad.

6. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I can see the argument. But I guess do most people who buy alcohol do it from back street gangsters who make it illegally and potently or through legal channels. You might nip across the channel for a Booze cruise for reasons of cost or potency just as you might do the same if drugs were legalised.

7. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No but that doesn't mean we should be adding to problems by allowing more drug taking.

Huge difference between calling for every pub in the land to be closed and being opposed to legalising drugs which you concede cause mental illness. Why do we have to be completely one or the other? You can't be against drugs if you drink, eat meat, like chocolate.

Out of interest why are you so keen on legalising drugs?

Edit: I realise that question sounds like I am hinting at something. I didn't intend to, it's a genuine question.

8. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Alcohol causes significantly more mental health issues and violence and death. I’m just saying stop being a hypocrite. I have seen a friend die of alcohol related illness recently after a longer battle with mental health issues. Doesn’t mean I’m storming down the beer aisle in tesco smashing the bottles. My best friend died of lung cancer. Smoking is stupid. Doesn’t mean I wanna ban it. You can be against drugs and not care Bout more deadly legal drugs but it makes you a hypocrite. Anyone who necks a pint then goes on about drugs doesn’t understand the concept of irony.

Because it’s sensible. A great swathe of the medical profession agrees. We cannot afford to criminalise people for making lifestyle choices. We tax legal drugs so that we can use the money to fund services used by the people who use them drug users take a lot but contribute nothing through taxation. Illegality encourages vicious gangs to exploit and abuse the system. We should end their source of power and revenue. Primarily the issue for me is a health and safety one. You cannot stop drug use. The CIA has privately and publicly admitted the war on drugs is lost. If you can’t stop it make it safe.

ScubaTyke likes this.
  9. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Initially a drug user makes a choice to take a drug and over time he/she becomes addicted to that drug.
    JC - You may say that the addiction has removed the users ability to function normally - that is the ability to make reasonable choices -
    You may label the addict as mentally ill.
    In other words you give up on this individual because you believe the ability to make life choices has gone, along with the ability to look after himself there's not going to be much going for him and he's not going to change.
    And so you consign these addicted drug-users to the scrap heap.
    Your argument does nothing to help this group or those adversely affected by them.

10. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don’t I’m not a medical professional. Medical professionals do.

Illness can of course be managed, or indeed cured. Many people with stress related mental health issues medicated with soft drugs.

11. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Not every person who chooses to take drugs do so because of mental illness they are many causes. Lack of education, poverty, boredom, depression and many more. Taking drugs and been off your chops every day do cause mental health problems I'm pretty sure I read a while back Holland has a big problem with mental health.
    As for addiction heroin and crack are physically addictive where the user will be poorly if they do not have their fix. Other drugs like cannabis are mentally addictive where it's more of a habit.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are mistaking someone taking drugs for recreational purposes occasionally and someone who is addicted to drugs. The two are completely separate as I said earlier. Addiction is classified as a mental health issue. Say for example anorexia that is a different type of addiction.

Heroin is much less physically addictive than say nicotine’s indeed the methadone that is used as a substitute which is far worse and may cause worse psychosis.

13. Barnsley Loyal

Barnsley Loyal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Completely agree with every word of this

14. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I could see the way people(especially the alcohol dependant) people buy their alcohol changing if/when the government scrap the cheap booze deals in the supermarkets and Off Licences. Trouble is all that does is creates another avenue for the unscrupulous to pray on those who are addicted by smuggling that super strength stuff from the continent and sell it at an inflated price.

I can also see the positives in legalising the softer recreational drugs like weed, as long as the extra tax in makes goes directly into the NHS to take the strain off them that has been created by the harder drugs and so called "Legal Highs"

When it comes to Heroin however, the **** is pure evil, wrecks lives and communities and shouldn't even be considered for legalisation.

P.S.

I personally don't see the point in smoking tobacco either, and feel if it wasn't for the amount of money that is made through taxing the stuff it would have been made illegal years ago...

redrum likes this.
  15. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Old skool alkies and vagrants used to drink meths wi watter .. doubt they needed to go France.

16. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There are many types of addictions - the 'worse' the addiction is regarded by society the more likely it is to be regarded as a mental health issue.
    No one says the guy who is obsessed with exercising has a mental health issue - nor is the vey heavy drinker regarded as having a mental health issue.
    A drug addict is more likely to be said to have a mental health issue. Once an addiction is classed as a mental health issue, to some extent it abrogates that person from taking responsibility for their actions. The addict may say 'I can't help taking drugs because I'm ill'
    It doesn't follow that someone with a mental health issue is mentally ill.
    JC - you say that 'addicts have no choice' That implies they can never change. Should we give up on this group of people or regard them as people who have the ability to make a choice and support them if necessary?

17. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People can over come mental illness with the correct and appropriate support or at least manage their condition.

18. Car

Carl Member

Health Trainer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Worth a watch. I must add that people on here need to invest more time and research in their opinions, maybe reflect on other people's opinions and views that may differ, rather than just picking out parts to argue and further strengthen a narrow outlook.

RedKestrel likes this.
  19. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lighthearted post. Not a joke about drug addiction....