Trump and Climate change.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Donny Red, Jun 1, 2017.

1. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I vaguely remember my old man telling me about trials they held at grimey in the late 70s re technology using smart water to remove the carbon thus making coal a clean fossil fuel to burn....not sure but i think the idea was sold to the yanks.....right up to him dying in 2014 he maintained one day not in his life time they would re open the pits

2. 36 Chambers

36 Chambers Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Trump is standing up for miner's jobs and mining communities, something which you would think most people on here would be in favour of if, but since it's Trump they're against him.

Trump & Scargill have a lot in common actually, both arrogant, egotistical, blonde comb-overs, accusations of financial impropriety, legal disputes, links with Russia.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  3. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    True. Let's be reight, it's not as if much has changed in the world over the last 300 years or so. Not to the extent that it could have any impact on the environment.

Redstar likes this.
  4. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Careful replying to that one- new poster being tediously objectionable on everything. I'll wager it's one of tekkytyke skryptic or gloria pulling a "classic prank"

SuperTyke likes this.
  5. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The schemes I saw involved Fluorised beds. Used in Germany but very expensive. As Super Tyke says mining is dangerous, and pits are a blot on the landscape etc.
    Estimates say our reserves of gas are running out which means we could be importing most of our supply from Russia/ Scandinavia in the next 15 years. Takes 12 years to build and commission a Nucleur reactor, Biomass is inefficient re- CV rating for Coal 28 gigajoules per tonne, Biomass 18 g/t plus ash, smoke are still emitted. Grants to encourage Feed in tariffs for Solar generation were removed. Granted those who got in early receive payments but what they received is clawed back because the Energy companies include a premium in every other consumers bills. The NIMBY lobby are active in trying to block new Wind turbine and Fracking schemes, Oil is a pollutant the same as Coal but I do think that at some point in the future they might have to look at introducing Coal back into the Energy mix.

Haven't a clue how they would do it though. Once went on a tour of the York field. Gascoigne Wood was a drift mine and took the Coal from other surrounding pits. It was all computerised and had few miners on site.
    The belts carried the Coal to the surface onto a gantry where it was dropped into a train heading towards York.
    When each carriage was half full the train was driven back under the gantry where the wagons were filled to the top and taken to Drax to generate electricity.
    Incidentally if anybody is interested a visit to the National Mining Museum ( Caphouse Colliery) is well worth it.

Our guide was "big Eric " a proud Barnsley lad and Reds fan. He appeared on " Our Dancing Town". He was hilarious.
    There were some people from Italy in our group. Their eyebrows were knitted together trying to understand his Barnsley accent.
    I'm convinced that when Eric mentioned " Snap" they thought we were about to play cards.!!!!

shed131 likes this.
  6. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nuclear Fission is probably the best, and safest, long-term option but it is still under development. The average build time for a nuclear reactor power station is 7.5 years BTW worldwide, although we can probably add 5-10 on in the UK. SMR reactors are smaller and quicker to provision, require less staff but are probably a few years from active roll-out. One of those provides ~300MWe (~10% of Hinckley Point C), but you could build quite a few for £18+bn.

7. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is he frig. He is standing up for Mne owners more like.

8. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

9. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I worked on the fluidised bed power station at Grimey in the early 80's, it was designed to remove sulphur emissions not carbon dioxide emissions.
    If coyle were ever to be re-used for fuel in the future, it'll be burned underground to heat water, not a single miner will be re-employed.

shed131 likes this.
  10. 36 Chambers

36 Chambers Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    He was elected on a promise to help working-class and middle-class Americans in the rust belt and so far he has delivered. Do you think globalist elitists like Clinton would have helped them?

11. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    .....my mistake in my defence i did say vaguely....lol