Two Weeks Until The Start Of The Tour de France

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Conan Troutman, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What do people think to the current form of the favourites?

For some reason I just can't take to Richie Porte and I don't see him as a contender for a three week race. He did well at the Dauphine but I think some of the other names were using it more as a training exercise while he was out to win.

I think Contador will finish top ten but no more - can't see him getting on the podium.

Valverde has been in excellent form but not sure if he has what takes to win a three week race at 38, and I think he will be riding for Quintana.

Quintana might still be suffering a hangover from the Giro and he didn't seem to be in great form there as he wasn't really attacking, although he did better than expected in the time trial.

Yates and Chaves - they have a strong team especially if Kreuziger is their lieutenant in the mountains but they can't time trail so they won't win it but might have a chance of a podium place.

Not sure what sort of form Froome has been in as he doesn't compete in many races outside of the tour but he didn't look great at the Dauphine, but with a strong team (Nieve, Landa) I think he has to be the favourite.

Anyone I've missed?

Kettlewell likes this.
  2. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    It's in Düsseldorf, isn't it? I was going to pop over and see what all the fuss was about.

3. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was supposed to be going but unfortunately not for one reason and another.

It starts with an individual time so you get to see the riders one by one rather than the peloton going past in a blur. The grand departs are quality. Get yourself over. Should be a great atmosphere too.

4. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    No real idea - Froome is as good a contender as any. I agree with you Porte wont win, I really hope its not Contador - but I dont think he will do it like anyway I dont see him on the podium. Valverde or Quintana are a decent bet as well although one will need to ride for the other be interesting to see how that pans out. I'll go for Quintana Froome and Yates on the podium so thats all 3 of those doomed

5. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would love to say Yates on the podium but I think that due to his TT form he will be a top five rider but not sure if he will become top three. Still, he is young so time to improve in this area.

6. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hope Cav gets the stage win record, but it will be a big ask.

7. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can probably get very short odds on Sagan for Green jersey (unless he is injured or something).

8. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Id expect him to win that unless he crashes out - he wont win the overall tour though

9. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Porte is on top of his game, but like you say may have shot his bolt already. I can't see beyond Froome. I actually think there are better riders than him now, but there are no riders who are better protected than him. Gee and co will see him round and if he does it then once again they will be the unsung heroes.
    If it is a new winner, then Porte, Quintana (probably) or Contador (hopefully not) will be up there. Always felt Sagan may be a contender rather than a points winner too one day; he's a machine and a proper all rounder.
    Would love to get to Dusseldorf and would love to see a pro time trial.

I did an official 10 mile TT this week. 31 mins won't get me a place on the TdF :) Going to smash 30 mins next week though.

10. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    You ought to have a go at lequipe :)
    I was staying in a hotel just outside Annecy a couple of years ago and a group of guys were staying there to do a mountain stage (just the one stage) - they were obviously super keen and had trained hard . I was in the hotel bar when they staggered back in around 10:30 in the evening dead on their feet

Andy Mac likes this.
  11. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Went on a holiday to Italy once and visited Venice. We really enjoyed it . My wife was telling her mate at work about it and she recommended a visit to "the Venice of the North" Bruges. For logististical reasons we booked a hotel for a week in Ostend.

Hadn't realised it coincided with an equivalent event to the Tour de France but was around Belgium. Every hotel was crammed with cyclists, their helpers and race enthusiasts from all over the world.

The latter seemed to be drawn towards one particular cyclist in our hotel and were getting his
    Autograph and seemed in awe at his very presence.!

Before our meal one night we were in the bar and he came in with his mate and we got talking.
    I believe he wasn't involved in the race because he was recovering from an injury.
    Turned out he was the legendary Tom Boonen who in cycling terms I later learned was regarded as a " superstar"
    by race cycling fans.

Came over as a really nice lad. Absolutely impressed with the back up vehicles carrying the riders gear and
    spare bikes and the support vehicles all in sponsors livery. Seeing the competitors setting off from Ostend the next day was
    brilliant. One of the most colourful and vibrant events I've ever seen in my life.

Metatarsal and Andy Mac like this.
  12. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    L'equipe would be good. Would have loved to have joined Angus on his current ride too. I love doing sportives and challenging myself. Just sad I left it til I was too old to really push myself. Done all three TdY's and did a 200 mile weekend charity ride last month. Am currently working in MK long-term so I have tried to get involved in the time trial scene around there, with the help of a couple of yocals. Trouble is, even though I feel really fit, I cannot shift the weight and I am early 50's. Still, I enjoy trying to improve, gives me a raison 'etre.

13. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you have a TT bike?

14. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    No. Not going to splash out on one til I can shift some timber. I do have a high-end road bike. Am borrowing some deep section (light) wheels for next week. Then you never know, if my times get good I could be tempted to do some shopping :)

This was the lumpy ten miler the other night. Not many hills, but after pushing over 35mph on the flat bits, the slightest incline really hurt. I compared my cadence to another rider and she was so much more smooth. Still, it's all new to me. Breaks up the work monotony https://www.strava.com/activities/1036604120/overview

15. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the slow burner hills are the worst. If you know that you've got a steep bit coming up you get in the right frame of mind. It's the gradual inclines that you don't notice in a car which are the worst. Riding from Wakey Road up to New Lodge is a bugger for that.

16. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

By MK do you mean Milton Keynes AM.? Donny Council Housing Dept once had some water cylinders implode
    and because I was down that way on business I volunteered to take them to the British Standards Institute Lab for testing for them as they were Kitemarked.

From memory in those days the roads didn't have names but all had a reference instead e.g . C 42 etc.
    I went round and round in ever decreasing until I had to call it a day in the end.
    No such thing as Sat Nav in those days and none of the locals knew where BSI offices were.

Is it still the same I wonder or have they done the sensible thing and now given the roads names.?
    The cylinders were eventually sent by carrier. Result was the copper used in their manufacture was found not to be to the gauge required under British Water byelaws.
    The manufacturer had lost the kitemark due to a drop in quality but had not taken the BS stamp off the machine which in all honesty should have been confiscated by BSI.?

The Council had fitted 500 of the faulty cylinders and said they saved £3 per cylinder when they compared the price to
    the ones made by IMI Yorkshire.
    Upshot was they had to buy 500 replacements from IMI and it cost them the thick end of £20k in decoration and water damage costs. Tried to sue the firm but as soon as the writ hit the mat the Company went into liquidation.

Very true saying " the bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of the lowest price is forgotten."

17. cor

cornwall tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure that Froome was looking that good at the Dauphine, although his descending was superb so guess it will depend on who Sky can team him up with. Given that Thomas is riding the rout de Sud he should be good to go and rested because of his withdrawal from the Giro, however I think the most important team member for Sky could be Wout Pouls, also at route De Sud but coming back from injury. If he's fit then and they can add Nieve to the team sheet who's at Tour de Suisse, then Sky could have a very strong team at TdF, not even sure that Landa will make the squad due to efforts at the Giro. Porte will be very strong, but not sure he has the team around him to compete for 3 weeks, although if BMC can get Vangarderen to play 2nd fiddle to him and support, it will give him a strong mountain guy. Quintana and Valverde are interesting. Given that Quintana didn't win the Giro, will he still have the desire since the double is gone, Valverde on fire this year but is he too old? If they can decide early on who the team leader is may be interesting. Think that you can also throw Roman Bardet into the mix. The team isn't the strongest , but Pozzovivo goes ok every other stage if mountainous so will be able to provide strong support when needed, TT work will need to improve to be a factor. Yates and Chaves, think they need to work out who the leader is early on. Suspect it will be Chaves and Yates will be support.Suspect that Demoulin will be there, but more for the TT's rather than overall. Cav could be interesting for the stage wins, needs 5 for overall most stages but has had Gladular Fever and not raced for ages. Suspect he may do the nationals the week before and try to ride into form as there is a lot of sprints this year. If he takes the record think it will be next year. Sagan for green again (much to the wifes delight) though would be nice to see Van Avermat or Phil Gilbert or one of the out and out sprinters mount a serious challenge to him.

Thin this year could be one of the most open in recent times, looking forward to it. Will be seeing them on stages 12 & 13. Viva Le tour.

18. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yep, Milton Keynes. Am actually working in Hanslope outside, and staying in Stony. The little towns and villages outside are stunning. MK itself was just one of those villages originally, til they decided to build a 'new town' out of it in the 60s. It actually works, it is just like most modern American towns. The roads are mostly H or V (horizontal or vertical) with a roundabout every 1/4 of a mile. Most main roads have a red route alongside, for walking and cycling. It was years ahead of its time, and they were seldom used, and they are in need of repair now, which is sad as there are now more cyclists than ever.

Love cycling on the outskirts though. Some of the little villages are lost in time, bit like Vicar of Dibley. I stopped off at a pub last week one evening and I swear I was the first customer in ten years, they couldn't do enough for me. :)

19. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went to a large precinct in the Town and got a map showing the various grids.
    I'm fairly bright but I couldn't make head nor tail of it.
    I was looking for Davy Avenue but it was not shown on the grid.
    Never bin so frustrated in my life.

Andy Mac likes this.
  20. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    My frustrations' with the parking in town. It's colour coded. I'm badly colour blind. I tend to pick a random colour and hope to God I've got one of the hourly rates, not a monthly one :)

Donny Red likes this.