U23s and the mystery of Kpekawa

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Aylott, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Ayl

Aylott Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For those interested the U23s lost a keenly contested game today 2-4 against Forest. Two pretty evenly matched sides, with us edging the first half and going in 1-0 thanks to Kayden Jackson pen. Forest came out for the second half with a very positive attitude and quickly took a 2-1 lead thanks to thir most impressive player Appiah. We clawed our way back into it and deservedly levelled through sub Matty Wolfe with a crisp finish inside the box. Forest won with 2 goals in the closing few minutes, one a blatant pen and the other a scramble which should have been dealt with.
    Here's a quick assessment of the team (only my opinion!)

Jack Walton 6 - I've seen him play a lot better, his handling was a bit suspect.

Louis Wardle 7 - continues to look a real talent. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a few 1st team games next season.
    Triallist CB 5 - very big unit with an equally big turning circle. Would be very surprised if we signed him.
    Adam Lund 7 - U18 captain stepping up. Solid performance, two footed, much to learn.
    Callum Elder 6 - competent if unspectacular. Has certain attributes which could be developed should we sign him as a back up LB

Triallist RM 6 - possibly from QPR. Diminutive, lively and quick. Tried to impress and produced the cross of the match. Can't see us signing him.
    Jared Bird 7 - very quiet 1st half had me thinking 'a quicker Brad Abbott' but sprang to life in the 2nd half and controlled most of what did we did.
    Romal Palmer 6 - a real talent stepping up from the U18s. Very good 1st half creatively, faded in the 2nd half.
    Triallist LM 8 - (Ben Williams - Blackburn) very impressive, looked a more mature player than most others. Left footed and always effective on the ball. I'd be surprised if we don't sign him.

Kayden Jackson 6 - lively 1st half but went off injured at h/t. Looks a mile away from being a Champ player to me.
    Jacob Brown 6 - clearly ring rusty after a long lay off but showed enough to suggest he'll be knocking on the 1st team door next season.

Subs:
    Louis Rowe 5 - huge bulky striker stepping up from U18s. Struggled to come to terms with this level.
    Matty Wolfe 6 - highly thought of, tall U18 central midfielder, did enough to suggest he will be a U23 regular next season.
    Cameron Simpson 7 - impressive cameo from a blistering fast LB. Another U18.

With the return of Josh Kay, Dylan Mottley-Henry and Otis Patrick, the U23s have the making of an exciting team to watch next season, with 4 or 5 spending time with the first squad. The absence today of Rhys Dolan, James Carvel, Jake Charles may suggest they are moving on, along with the likes of Jack Cowgill, Shaun Tuton and possibly Bradley Ash.

So to Kpekawa, not on view again today. We paid a lot of money for him (comparatively) and he seems to have disappeared. Since Xmas his appearances for the U23s have been sporadic to say the least and he is not training with the first team, so my question is : does anyone know what's going on with him?

2. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for the report.

3. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Interesting to hear how the U23s are coming along. It would be great if we could produce another John Stones. No idea about Kpekawa.

4. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hecky has previously commented that essentially they have done all they can for him now and it's up to him to respond