UEFA Nations League

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by churtonred, Oct 3, 2017.

1. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thought I'd post this as there's not much happening on the footy front. Apologies if it's been mentioned before.
    It seems UEFA are eliminating the majority of international friendlies and replacing them with a league format from next year. Teams split into about 5 groups according to current rankings. I think there may be a couple of extra routes into the European Championships as a reward and I think the winners of the bottom group, Andorra etc get a route to the finals.
    Might make friendlies a bit more interesting with a bit extra to play for. Less mass substitutions etc.
    On the other hand fans may continue not to give a toss.
    I'm sure its the latter attitude and corresponding falling revenues that have sparked the idea in the first place.

2. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I really have lost all interest. The last England game watched properly was in the 2010 world cup. A 0 0 I think the one where Rooney had a go down the camera. International football just doesn't do it for me.

3. RedKestrel

RedKestrel Well-Known Member

TAL
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    UEFA money making schemes ...
    Haven't been into international football since probably Mexico 86.. rather watch Eurovision

4. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It certainly wouldn't make me go out of my way to watch one. The only England games I watch tend to be in tournament finals when I binge watch every game I can no matter who's playing.

5. Spuggy

Spuggy Well-Known Member

Transport/Warehousing
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it will be quite good. It's another competetive summer tournament, so for the fans, it surley has to improve the interest in international football. However, the concept of it all is a little confusing I think, especially the bit where it creates another oppertunity for qualification to the Euro's. Also The top league will consist of the top 12 european ranked countries, which probably means England will be fighting relegation rather than trying to progress to the summer tournament.