Universal Credit

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by portsmouth tyke, Dec 3, 2018.

1. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't fully get this universal credit, I have been fortunate enough ( so far anyway) not to need orto rely on benefits, am I right in saying universal credit is a " come together " of all benefits? And if so why are people up in arms? Like I say this is not a snipe or a dig it's a genuine question, they have just rolled it out in pompey and all I have heard on school runs is parents going on about it, thanks COYR

TrueRed92 likes this.
  2. joh

john coucom Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think what people are up in arms about is that it is now forcing them to think about going out to work

PLOBBY and portsmouth tyke like this.
  3. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most people in receipt of benefits are already in work.

GudjonFan, thetykester, BobT and 7 others like this.
  4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There was a programme on tele about it a couple of weeks ago. It seems like there are two key issues. 1) housing benefit is paid to the claimant and not the landlord which is causing problems. 2) the roll out of it is problematic, as with many changes of this size, so more money is needed to implement it.

I think the principle is ok but the roll out appears to getting handled in a very ham-fisted way.

5. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Here’s some of the reasons.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...dit-catastrophe-misery?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

When I was still working In benefits literally no one thoughtful was a good idea. If you are to do it properly then it would cost a massive amount of money not save it.

New Small businesses are being hit the hardest according to some of my former colleagues. In order to receive any support within a few months your business has to be performing at a level that can pay you NMW so 20k worth of profit. As most people who have ever run a start up will tell you that is very difficult

portsmouth tyke likes this.
  6. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Impact on those starting up new businesses is pretty devestating.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...ules-risk-crushing-self-employed-and-startups

7. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personal experience? If not, perhaps you shouldn't judge other people until you've walked in their shoes.

8. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Hmm that simple is it? From what information did you arrive at this conclusion?

9. joh

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lot of people choose benefits as a way of life instead of going out to work
    I’ve been lucky I’ve only had 6 months unemployment since leaving school 25 years ago

10. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    "A lot" how many? What percentage?
    "A lot" are also in work as well as claiming benefits for a variety of reasons.
    Universal credit is causing misery and distress for some of the most vunerable people in our society. Have you read anything about it? Or just making the assumption it's work shy people who don't want a job?

11. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Given that the vast majority of money claimed in benefits is claimed by people in work it’s ‘facts’ taken from from the daily hate rags.

Old Gimmer and Redstone like this.
  13. portsmouth tyke

portsmouth tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't get why the government don't pay the rent direct to the landlord, that property could be there pension pot or a monthly income only for some, NOT ALL, to not pay there rent, leaving the landlord up sh#t creek without a paddle, thanks for the answers

BFC Dave likes this.
  14. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Increasing numbers of working people living in poverty ...

anstonred likes this.
  15. Sab

Sabre-toothed Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What lifestyle could you lead on £280 a month? I am also fortunate enough to not need these benefits, although it does appear I have a little more empathy for my fellow man...

Living on benefits is not a "lifestyle choice". Your just regurgitating the trash you have been fed from the corporate media. They want you to hate people on benefits and make you think they are a massive yolk around the countries' neck, when in actual fact it was the banks that ruined our economy.

Its all about divide and rule, kicking the cripples, or as you would call them, lead-swingers. Pensioners freezing to death, terrified to turn the heating on because they cannot afford to warm their homes properly for fear of being unable to pay the bill.

The unemployed didn't and don't ruin this countries' economy and the cost they bring to bare on our budget is frankly, miniscule in comparison to the amount spent on foreign wars and the EU membership fee etc etc.

I would be ashamed if I were you. Coming from where you do, knowing how much these local communities have been destroyed by big corporate interest in the guise of Thatcher, communities ruined forever, jobs for life taken away.

Hang your head in shame.

16. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In fairness living on benefits IS a lifestyle choice for some as we all know. Not all by any stretch but to pretend that it isn't a lifestyle choice for some is basically lying isn't it.

It also isn't £280 once you've taken into account the free this, free that and free the other and the subsidised this that and the other that goes on top of it.

I'd never choose the benefits way of life because I would prefer to work and have that bit more, I'd also hate to be someone who wants more and is struggling to find work. But I also know that for some it is a choice

17. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not too good at reading long articles and picking out the important bits (genuinely) so could you give me the bullet points?

What I already understand is that there are problems for businesses like you said, problems for landlords because the tenant now gets the money and presumably spends it on other things? And also problems with a gap between applying and getting it meaning you have nothing for a month or so. But once you're set up on it properly and providing you spend it on what it is intended for then what are the main problems for the claimant? Is it significantly less money than it would have been under the old system? Or is it more of a problem that the claimants aren't wise enough (not intended as an insult) to budget correctly when they get one big paycheck?

18. joh

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wondered how long it would be before mrs thatcher would be brought up

19. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The main problems I've heard boil down to 2 things 1) there is too long a gap between applying and receiving the first payment and 2) all the benefits get paid into just 1 account for the household so those who are stuggling with controlling partners/domestic abuse are even more under their control as they don't get individual payments each like they would under the old system as if they were working and getting separate wages.

Scoff, Runner, #FWF and 2 others like this.
  20. anstonred

anstonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The reported facts are that use of food banks have drastically increased in areas of UC rollout. Applying families have to wait 5 weeks (until recently it was 6 weeks) - it needs to be properly funded & those in work should be paid a proper wage so that they don’t need to claim benefits. It’s Robin Hood in reverse - take off the poor, the elderly, the disabled (some people are all 3) & give it in tax breaks to the very rich, too many of whom (people & companies) have clever legal advisers to make the most gains. Still, the media owners, with their offshore, low tax finances want us to blame the “scrounges” yet again - yes, some of us will know a workshy person but many, many more who are genuinely struggling whilst the “haves” get more. They set the hare running & let us take each other apart- it is not a civilised society & I despair!