US Election

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by dreamboy3000, Oct 26, 2020.

1. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This next week should be entertaining before we find out who wins. Looking at the odds Sleepy Joe Biden looks under priced at around 1/2. 70 odd percent of presidents get back in and Biden thinks Trump is called George and needed his own wife to correct him. Biden isn't getting good press about his crackhead son either or that he wants to put an end to the oil industry that will put millions out of work (like an American Thatcher killing a industry). The polls all say Trump will lose but then they did four years ago. He was pretty assured in the second debate last week and not his usual self, which is a good thing. 15/8 with Betfred looks a good bet for Donald to get four more years.

2. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ‘Sleepy Joe Biden’, you really do just parrot out everything you read online don’t you? Surprised you haven’t included a link to Fox News website.

3. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    anyone with any shred of morality should be desperately hoping trump doesn't win

4. Don

Donks Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The republicans know their time is up. That’s why they’re rushing to stuff the Supreme Court with Christian Right-wingers.

Biden is a poor candidate, but he isn’t widely disliked like Hilary was - and don’t forget that she still won the popular vote.

The widespread gerrymandering and voter suppression might make it tighter than it otherwise would have been, but I’m predicting a clear Biden victory.

5. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No it's CNN that I watch and they aren't impartial at all. It's nothing but Trump bashing on there and they don't mention anything that may cost Biden the election. This will play in to the hands of Trump. We have seen it with Brexit happening, Trump getting elected in the first place and the Tory party winning with a landslide. The more liberal people push their views as the only ones that matter, the more the right wing get angry and go against it.

6. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    This time 4 years ago I was thinking surely the American people can’t be that stupid. Not making that mistake again I’m remaining very concerned

7. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hilary thought she could win off becoming the first ever female president. She had lots of female celebrities backing her seemingly for that reason (whilst never mentioning which policies of her they liked). Last week Obama went in hard on Trump with his speeches and again liberal views don't always come across well and people rebel against them, which is how Trump could get back in. Whoever gets back in I can see in a year or two them stepping down to let their deputy take over as neither are getting any younger and a full term for either could be asking alot.

8. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can’t see Trump retaining office. However, Biden did have a bit of a howler at the last debate where Trump, not that it should be classed as an achievement, did manage to almost act normal for the 90 minutes.

Those silent voters in the middle ground had zero time for Hillary Clinton in the same way people here just couldn’t find it in themselves to vote for Corbyn. Different proposition this time around where there’s less dislike of Biden, although he will likely only stay in power for 18 months before retiring.

There are clear Democratic policies that you can understand people in the US wanting to vote against. We’re not very well educated in the main over here on what they are over because we see snippets as oppose to really understanding it. Which in turn leads to people saying ‘only a moron/racist/misogynistic would vote for Trump’ and all that really does is drive more people to vote for him.

Don’t think it will be a completely blue landslide but should be a clear win.

9. Don

Donks Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did you see Channel 4 news this evening?

We have some pretty stupid voters over here, but at least they aren’t heavily armed.

anstonred and Fonzie like this.
  10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Happily I don’t see Trump winning this time. Last time the Clinton factor made me put a sneaky 20 quid on Trump to win.

This time Biden is crap but not actively hateful. One does wonder if Trump will try and resist being taken from office. Equally it’s hard to see him avoiding prosecution if he doesn’t leave the country.

Very interesting times.

anstonred and John Peachy like this.
  11. BarnsleyReds

BarnsleyReds Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    There’s a massive difference this year in the polls from 2016.

In 2016 the polls were very back and forth, despite how it appeared. When the FBI opened up the email investigation into Hillary 10 days before the election the writing was on the wall.

And she still won the popular vote.

Places like Pennsylvania are probably not going to vote for Trump again and he needs those states.

anstonred likes this.
  12. E3R

E3Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think Hunter's the only one on crack.

13. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Trump will win by a landslide.

14. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Literally no chance of that. Literally 0.

He's exceedingly unlikely to win the popular vote, never mind a landslide.

Gravy Chips likes this.
  15. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure about that. It’s a real divide in Pennsylvania and from the people I know there they are not happy with the governor in charge at all. Problem with nearly all states is that the Left Wing make a lot more noise, in my opinion, so can give a false impression for outsiders.

You’re right that there isn’t the hatred for Clinton, the hacking scandal, or as much of the Hollywood elite telling people how to vote (this is a huge factor - that support for Hillary did not go down well last time).

Similarly though, the polls are unpredictable. Trump’s biggest challenge to retaining office is that he turned a lot of Bernie Sanders states last time out who would not vote for Hillary, combined with Hillary investing very little time there as she assumed the Sanders vote would carry over. Those will likely flip back to blue and win Biden the election. So when all is said and done it’s probably going to be the most predictable election in a long time.

John Peachy likes this.
  16. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A Trump win would be an absolute disaster for the American people but good news for the rest of the world, so they should ‘sacrifice themselves for the greater good’ IMO. I say that as a dyed in the wool left leaning liberal. Let me explain.

in my nearly 60 years on the planet there has never been a time when the USA has had less influence in the world, and that is a very very good thing. The USA has been a malign influence on the rest of the world for a very long time.

Now, It’s leaders are either ridiculed or Ignored - good. Trump has no interest on what’s happening in the world. So consequently we don’t have the USA invading countries to pursue it’s own interests with the UK running on sharply behind like its lapdog. Great news for British military personnel as, well.......they are still alive!

Of course none of that is great news for those who think they have to be in a gang and America is the biggest gang. No matter, it might force a few to grow up and think/act for themselves.

I don’t say this with any relish, Trump is a moron and even after all he has done and hasn’t done, there are tens of millions of people who support him. Well, America will just have to implode if that’s enough to get him back in the White House. Others should have the courage to forge their own futures.

There endeth tonight’s lesson.

17. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I don't know. A colleague of mine in PA says that she sees a hell of a lot less Trump signs this year than in 2016, although she does think that could be just due to the pandemic - less people walking around, less need for signs etc.

But yep, I can't see anything but a Biden win at this point, thank god.

It's easy to underestimate just how hated Hillary was - dating back decades. She was a shocking choice really but it is what it is. It led to the perfect storm of **** that let trump win.

I know polls are extremely unreliable, but just look at the difference in polling from 2016 to 2020. in 2016 it was very back and forth, with a large amount of polls favouring Trump in the lead up to the election (especially after the email ****). This year there's maybe 1 or 2 polls in total that have trump on a 1 point lead nationwide - the rest have Biden, most of them in double figures. Pollsters have also adjusted their methods after the drubbing they took in 2016. There was a real shift to the left from the 2016 to 2018 house elections (where all seats are up for grabs, so it does show a real swing) - that can't be ignored, even on top of everything else.

What I can see happening is that if Trump loses, he resigns before Biden gets inaugurated, allowing Pence to pardon him (a presidential pardon does not need a conviction or even a charge, which is what Nixon did. His VP became president and pardoned him before any charges were brought).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    anstonred likes this.
  18. E3R

E3Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Florida - early votes cast (ages 18-29) as of Oct 21, 2020 257,720
    Florida early votes cast (ages 18-29) at same point in 2016 44,107

North Carolina 204,986 compared to 25,150

Virginia 178,496 compared to 23,152

Colorado 111,559 to 5,991 !!!

19. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    The issue with that is that I don't know if the world can survive another 4 years of a climate change denier leading such a carbon emitting country. Obviously I'm not trying to say that in 4 years we'll all be under water, but we only have a limited amount of time to make a difference (10-20 years maximum) and 4 years of them purposely making it worse will be disastrous.

20. BarnsleyReds

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    It's promising - young people do not like Trump as a generalised rule, and high voter turnout is not a good thing for republicans. However a lot of that increase is due to the pandemic and not wanting to stand in line for 7 hours on election day (how ******* ridiculous is that, by the way?). I can see there being a record high turnout this year though, even so. It's kind of impossible to ignore politics right now, isn't it?