Vaccine

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tonjytyke, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Ton

Tonjytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just heard the fantastic news that Johnson has somehow, against all the odds and unlike in the cases of tests, masks, gloves, aprons, visors etc, managed to secure 90 million doses of untested vaccine. I can’t believe he’s managed to succeed in this, where he failed so badly with PPE. All we need now apparently, is 30 million UK citizens to volunteer to be guinea pigs in testing this vaccine. Oh ,,,,,wait a bit,,,,,,,

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  2. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not for me either. There are three vaccines and because they aren't sure which one works (if any) they want to dose us up with all three. They want to begin the process with the NHS staff first. I won't be having any vaccine if they aren't 100 per cent sure it works as see it as a pointless risk.

ubique_tyke likes this.
  3. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Yes they might not work but at least by taking the gamble in purchasing some it means that IF it does work we aren't at the back of the queue. It's no different to how the Oxford vaccine has been purchased by American and the European Union amongst others. Should they get attacked like our government for purchasing a vaccine that might not work? Of course not it makes sense to buy. We should hear some really encouraging news today about the Oxford vaccine and people should be happy we are moving closer to finding a way back to normal life. Anti vaxers are going to be what stops us from getting back to normality, not us not having a vaccine to take.

4. Ton

Tonjytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You don’t see the irony in a. Back of queue when no trials are needed & b. Front of queue when human guinea pigs needed?

5. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A few months ago, the Government bought 17m antibody tests that were hailed as a "gamechanger". And they didn't work.

I won't be holding my breath.

6. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There will be anti-vaxers, probably a small group, who are simply opposed to any vaccination.

But there are those for having a 'new' vaccine is a concern.
    This vaccine is supposed to stimulate so called 'Killer 'T' Cells' - for people with an auto-immune disease the last thing they want is these 'T' Cells stimulating!
    Those with serious medical conditions who are taking powerful drugs will want reassurance that any vaccine isn't going to cause more harm than good.
    Is it safe for pregnant women - children to be vaccinated?

7. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Very early days regarding research, trials and the results of aforementioned. Ordinarily these take quite a few years before any drug is officially sanctioned. The resources that are being thrown into this should hasten the process but I'd be wary of anything that is introduced within say 2 years. Can we afford to wait that long though? I doubt it.

8. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem is there aren't enough people who fit the criteria in the UK to test accurately, that's the reason countries are cooperating as I understand it.

9. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So prior to 2020 the scientists have yet to create a safe functional vaccine for any of the SARS variations yet in 3 months theyve found one for Covid 19?

I dont think I'll be rushing to have that stuck in my arm if I am honest.

Plus side though, theyve reduced deaths from Influenza to zero....

10. hav

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not flu season is it?

Redhelen likes this.
  11. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks.
    Perversely it is probably those most vulnerable to getting the virus who are the ones who will understandably be most cautious about having the vaccine.
    A friend with m.s. reckons that any vaccine that 'enhances' the 'T' Cells is not suitable for him and others with m.s. or other auto-immune diseases.

12. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We wouldnt know would we given no one has died of Flu since March. . .

13. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Finding a working vaccine shouldn't be made political. Although Russia are knobs for trying to hack our computers to find out about the vaccine. Let's wait and see what the Lancet journal publish today about Oxford but it sounds extremely positive and the editor tweeted this yesterday.....

Redhelen likes this.
  14. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
  15. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Two genuine questions...
    1) Do they usually?
    2) Where does it say that no-one has?

Edit after doing some research:

1) It would appear that each year after the flu season ends, flu numbers seem to just end as if it really does only occur during the 'season'.
    2) A government report that covers up to April 5th says:
    The number of reported outbreaks began to rise again in week 11, 2020, reaching 1,057 outbreaks reported in week 14, 2020. This rise in reported outbreaks late in the season coincides with an increase of SARS-CoV-2 related outbreaks. Where information on virological testing were available, the majority of outbreaks were confirmed as SARS-CoV-2 (1490/2134; 69.8%). There were 19 outbreaks confirmed to be associated with influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 and 25 outbreaks with influenza A(H3N2). 388 outbreaks were confirmed to be associated with influenza A(not subtyped). Twelve outbreaks were associated with influenza B. There were 192 outbreaks confirmed to be associated with a range of other non-influenza viruses including respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), rhinovirus, human metapneumovirus (hMPV), seasonal coronavirus and parainfluenza. Eight outbreaks were associated with multiple respiratory viruses.

It doesn't mention deaths, just outbreaks, but they are definitely listing each specific one, not just calling them all Covid19 (or should I say SARS-CoV-2).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  16. Redstone

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I don't know the answer to either of your questions. It does seem however that the way Covid deaths have been reported in England is very poor indeed.

17. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Redhelen likes this.
  18. hav

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't think many do out of the flu season as the virus does not have the ability to thrive with the increased temperatures. The figures are also dramatically reduced in the flu season when we have mild winters.

Redhelen likes this.
  19. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely.

But you also must concede that the number of deaths in 2020 has been massively higher than the 10 year average for the respective time of year.

Coincidence?

Redhelen likes this.
  20. Redstone

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Of course I'm not denying that at all. But how the figures are produced is massively important as it has dictated the level of measures in place. The lockdown itself will kill tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. These deaths are indirectly linked to Covid as they are a result of the measures that have been put in place to save lives.