Venice

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by YTBFC, Jun 7, 2018.

1. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Evening.

Off to Italia on my jollies, visiting a few places but guessing a few on here will have visited Venice so just after a few tips, places there to seek out, that kind of carry on. I’m assuming it’ll be expensive like Rome. I’m not tight or owt, but I’m fccukkd if I’m paying a fiver for a pint if I can get the same drink cheaper 20 yards away. Not tight, just sensible.

I know Conan and Redstar have sadly departed the board, shame, as they gave me some sound advice before I did Krakow last summer.

Thanks in advance.

YT x

Kettlewell likes this.
  2. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I haven’t been - but mi parents went a few years ago.
    When they got home I asked was it a romantic city with beautiful waterways and architecture.
    They said no it just smelt fusty.

3. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

It can be expensive in the main tourist parts, but a few streets away and you can get a decent priced beer.

4. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Ha.

In fairness, I've spoken to plenty who've been and a couple did mention something similar.

Can't say I've ever wanted to go myself, but the missus always has, so only fair. I forced her to watch blink-182 once.

TitusMagee likes this.
  5. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Like Rome then. Sound.

6. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've been. It was a day trip when I first ever went to Bardolino on Lake Garda. Wharever you do,
    avoid the restaurants and bars on the harbour front where the ferry from the mainland drops you off.
    Take time to look at some of the small tavernas off the side streets. They are usually much cheaper.
    We were in an organised party with Inghams / First Choice so we got a discounted rate for a trip on a Gondola.
    From memory, without that, it was going to cost a bomb. We took a boat trip round the harbour and visited
    the local Marano Glass factory. Can't remember the name of the hotel where we had lunch, but it was at the rear of
    the Doges Palace. Remember it was good and very reasonably priced. We got chatting to Shobna Gulati ( Sinnitta
    on Coronation Street) and her partner. They were in the same hotel as the Beckhams. Lovely place. Thoroughly
    recommend it to anybody.

YTBFC likes this.
  7. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Cheers pal.

Funny you mention Lake Garda, we're staying there too as a base. Not heard a bad review as yet.

8. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I went a while back. Nice city, and obviously interesting. Smells are something else when canals rise up but that’s only certain times a day. Adds to the atmosphere a bit. Authentic!

Obviously the usual tourist things are good - Gonodla ride, San Marco Piazza. I preferred getting a water taxi to gondala ride though. Perhaps because I’d had a row with the girlfriend at the time of gondola ride so it wasn’t perfect setting for a fella to be punting us about. He didn’t even ******* sing to cover up the awkward silence.

I remember having amazing seafood, and also did a hidden wine cellar of Venice tour which was interesting. Bars and restaurants away from tourist spots much better and much cheaper we found.

Have a cracking time.

Spirit Ditch, JamDrop and YTBFC like this.
  9. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lake Garda is great Whitey. You can take the ferry round to the various places on the Lake.
    Malcesine is one of our favourite places to visit, but we stay in the Hotel Bologna in Bardolino.
    I've got a guide book for both Lake Garda and Venice somewhere in the house. I'll see if I
    can find them tomorrow and let you have some of the recommendations of places to see and where
    to eat.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    YTBFC likes this.
  10. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Awesome mate. Been loads of times from being a nipper and off again this summer. Completely unique, no where else like it.

Number one tip, get lost. Just wander. Once you go down a side street you're off the main tourist drag and will be completely alone. If you've never been you need to go do the tourist stuff but don't just do that.

Couple of highlights:

Get the vaparetto (water bus) down the grand canal.

Go to the ghetto (tiny island where the persecuted Jewish community were forced to live)

Doges Palace (One of the tourist things that is absolutely worth it)

Best view of San Marco square is from the cafe in the Museo Corner

Peggy Guggenhiem Museum (modern art in a waterside villa)

Restaurant Anice Stellato (tiny little locals place near the Ghetto)

Craft beer at Birraria Is Corte in Campo San Polo

Chiesa Miracoli, a little jewel box of a church

If you've got time got a boat to Burano. Stunning little island. All the buildings are painted different bright colours so pissed fisherman could find they're way home.

And if you fly in to Marco Polo you can get s boat from the airport right in to Venice - no better way to arrive

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  11. #FWF

#FWF Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I used to live in Italy and had my wedding reception in Sirmione on Lake Garda. Most of the places on Garda are nice to visit. If you've got a car you can head away from the lake to eat and drink at an Agriturismo as Veneto is a largely agricultural region and these places offer great food and wine produced in-house. You can also head off into the Dolomites which are not far away and prettier in my opinion than the Alps - the area around Madonna di Campiglio is nice but it depends how much you want to explore and driving you want to do. The train is slow, cheap and convenient for getting into Verona and Venice for day trips - I think the train stops at Desenzano if you're staying near there. It's been a few years since I've been though but used to go regularly as OH's family was from Veneto region.

YTBFC, Donny Red and ark104 (v2) like this.
  12. ark

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  13. ark

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sirmione, what a place to get married! Loved Lake Garda. Getting a boat up to the top end of the lake is a brilliant day. Really liked Limone.

14. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Take your own boat, its cheaper.

15. Donny Red

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A visit to the other side of the Lake ( from Bardolino) we made was to Salo. It was used as the HQ by Mussolini
    as the Allied troops were closing in on him in WW2. Absolutely beautiful little Town.
    Remember enjoying an ice cold Peroni to wash down a large plate of Mozarella and locally grown Beef tomatoes.
    Absolutely mint. Having my hip Operation on 28th June. This thread has motivated me to book a visit to
    Lake Garda next June. One of the nicest places I've ever been to in my life.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    ark104 (v2) and YTBFC like this.
  16. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did a day trip from Yugoslavia in 1998. Thought the place was exceptional. History and culture just dripping on you. Glad I went.

YTBFC likes this.
  17. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Top tipping, cheers Andy.

I'm sure you'll see how many places I visit, you know I love a Facebook selfie or 12.

ark104 (v2) likes this.
  18. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  19. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Got Verona on the to-do list.

Thank you for the advice everyone, really appreciated. I might not be able to post about football on here these days but it's still the go-to place for travel advice.

Grazie!

20. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Will I be allowed to take it on the plane?

Haha. Cheers pal.