Watkins & Scowen

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by royston tyke, May 10, 2017.

1. roy

royston tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seen this happen loads of times over the years. A club like Barnsley in the current championship relating to finances just can't compete. We will always lose our better players. It's happened for years.

Should we worry?

I aint. We have the best man in charge for me since Dave Bassett. A man who knows the market, knows the type of player he can develop in the style we want to play. I've seen better players leave than Hourihane, Winnall, Watkins, Mawson and Scowen. Maybe Not in the same timescale but players can always be replaced. Players make a team.....not a club. There will now be a new Barnsley team from next season onwards. It's quite exciting knowing the amount of players we need to bring in to the fact I'm now looking myself down the lower pyramid at unpolished young gems that might look attractive than the once has beens that could "do a job" for a season. Breath of fresh air if you ask me.

On another note. Over the years, players leave Barnsley to so called "bigger clubs" and the majority of those players careers then falters. Maybe John Stones broke the mould but in general......this happens. I see light at the end of this tunnel not darkness. Onwards and upwards. Would rather have players here that want to stay to improve themselves and the team and sign up because they WANT to play for Barnsley.

Will Scowen and Watkins be missed. Yes. Will they be a massive miss......NO.

They've served their time and deserve whatever they get offered. They owe us nothing. We will cheers a new set of Lads next season. They will wear the shirt and play for it. Watkins and Scowen then become players who used to play for us and I hope whoever they play for we hammer them although they will both be welcomed to Oakwell before a ball is kicked. Once that ball is kicked tho I won't care less.

Thanks for the memories lads but I'm looking for the next batch to make more.

U reds!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Kettlewell, redrum, kektyke and 11 others like this.
  2. NathanBFC94

NathanBFC94 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well said man!

As much as it hurts to see good players leave, we have a top manager and great scouting team. I am sure we will uncover some more hidden gems during the window.

I for one am really excited for the window to see who we do bring in. I love the transfer policy of signing good young players and long may it continue.

Donny Red likes this.
  3. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Good post.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

4. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As long as I've been watching Barnsley, we've rarely held onto good players for long, although there are exceptions (Futcher, Glavin, Redfearn, Dyer and others no doubt). But we also had the likes of Aylott, Geddis, Beresford, Tiler, Currie, Ward, Hignett, Vaz Te, Butterfield, Hammill v1, Mawson, who I think did less than 3 full seasons, often less than 2. All have had varying degrees of football success after leaving us.

Yes, we've seen first hand over the years that replacing them so as not to weaken the team is difficult to say the least, but the same applies to many clubs, and those that gamble take a hell of a risk (Wigan, Blackburn et al). The lure of big money, whether the buying or paying clubs actually have it or not is what will ultimately take our players away.

Looking at Winnall, Hourihane, Watkins, Scowen in particular, they've all given 2-3 years of top drawer service, contributed to success, and looks likely that they'll all be elsewhere next season. The last time we splashed the cash on ultimately unaffordable longer contracts nearly cost us the club's existence.

Next season will be tough, but we're going into another cycle of the life and times of BFC, and we've been here before and will be again.

Kettlewell and Sheriff like this.
  5. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spot on.

This is how modern football operates, and within that framework this is the inevitable consequence of being one of the smallest clubs in the division in which we operate. Good players move on, and we look to replace them.

I can't relate to all the negativity I've seen posted on here recently, given that we've just achieved our highest league position since 2000, a season in which we still received Premier League parachute payments in what was a very different financial environment for football.

I have complete trust in the manager to start next season with a competitive squad once again. I also have 100% certainty that, in budget terms, it'll be in the top 3 of cheapest squads assembled, both in transfer fees paid and player wages. That's the scale of the task that faces us next season, which is exactly the same as all the championship seasons we've commenced since 2006. Quite how this somehow 'entitles' us to be competing for the play-offs, I can't comprehend, but that seems to be the expectation which some would place on us.

For me personally, I'm quite happy to watch us try to defy gravity yet again, with a manager I fully trust and support, who now has the benefit of a year's experience coaching in this division.

Good luck to the players who've chosen to leave, after serving out their contracts with us with complete professionalism and dedication to the cause. I'm sad to see them go, as both were superb, but they owe us nothing further and clearly feel their futures lie elsewhere.

In emotional terms, their departures are nothing compared to how I felt when the likes of Neil Redfearn, Ashley Ward, Craig Hignett, Arjan De Zeeuw, Gerry Taggart, etc, etc also moved on, as it's something I've become accustomed to over time. However, they're all part of our history now. I prefer to look forward to the future with a bit of optimism.

Kettlewell likes this.
  6. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All valid points . The problem is that I don't think Hecky will put up with selling players for peanuts or giving them away at the end of their contracts for much longer . It's like him starting from scratch again and continuously trying to build a new team which must be extremely frustrating .

7. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have always lost players. And Hecky has his head screwed on.

Those two players individually I agree are replaceable.

From what Hecky has said we should also expect Roberts and possibly Yiadom to move on if they don't sign new contracts. This seems sensible.

White and Williams will be freed due to ongoing injury problems. Again seems logical.

The loan players will depart and again it seems unlikely that any will stay for various reasons again pretty understandable.

We sold 4 first team regulars last season and were because of timings of tbe sales we failed to replace them. Again given tbe money offered for Mawson and tbe contract situation of the January 3 perfectly understandable.

We have never lost players at that rate.

We go into pre-season needing to buy/loan 10 first team and buy/loan a further 5 squad members. This doesn't allow for evaluations of some squad members so if Hecky decides tuton/Payne/ash etc aren't strong enough to challenge for the first team and should be released then this number increases.

This is an absolutely massive task given our limited budget and relative unattractiveness. If we avoid relegation next season then Hecky will deserve Knighting by Dick Bird on t'town Hall steps.

So yes we have always sold players but let's not underestimate the job ahead.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  8. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a big job is the summer recruitment and definitely can't be underestimated as you say, especially as you describe the scale of it.

I genuinely don't know how we can do anything with the contracts, either in terms of clauses, extensions or contract length, in this era. Ultimately, the player would have to agree to what's in there or we would possibly not get them in the first place. We run the risk of being in the same position every summer now, with a big chunk of the first team contracts expiring at the same time.

I don't know whether we should aim to sell our players with 1 year left on their contract, or expect them to see out the term. Finance v Football I guess. Genuinely don't know what my preference is, although I'd have happily seen Hourihane and Winnall leave for nothing by playing until the end of the season in truth.

The joys of being a red. Never short of things to natter about in the pub.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

9. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok will you all STOP making sensible and interesting and intelligent comments on this thread, because its confusing me!
    Just you wait till Hemsy gets a whiff of this thread, then you'll all be in for it. :D

Seriously I cant add much else other than whats been posted already.

Metatarsal likes this.
  10. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    "We've always lost players" Is a such a miserable self fulfilling prophecy. We don't need to give players away it's fine to accept good players go but the club absolutely need to be held accountable for the quantity of top players allowed to leave for peanuts year after year. The likes of holgate Mawson stones were examples of doing it properly

11. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

In an ideal world I'm sure the club would like to have a "one deal fits all" bullet proof system that gets the right money for every player that leaves.

Unfortunately life's not like that.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Metatarsal likes this.