We already have two (slightly) similar forwards at the club in Bradshaw and Armstrong

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Prince of Risborough, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know that one isn't ours but he is until May and, now that one of his obstacles is out of the way, there is a good chance that Armstrong will get a run in the team and really show us what he is made of.

As for Bradshaw, his previous record was not unlike Winnall's and they are of a similar build and he can also head a ball. So, obviously, it's time to give him a decent run as well and watch the goals stacking up.

Add to that Stefan Payne (raw but promising) and Jacob Brown (untried but up and coming) and, of course, Marley who can play anywhere up front.

I'm not saying that we won't miss Sam - of course we will - but what about all those "off days" that he has had this season? Plenty on here have moaned about his apparent lack of interest on the pitch while being quick to praise him the following week when he bangs a goal or two in. Forwards like him will never really win - they either score or don't do a lot as a rule, and so get criticised. Sam was an exception though. He WAS willing to work hard for the ball and you could argue that he spent too long in our half looking for it instead of being on the shoulder of their centre halves waiting for the next chance.

It's not certain yet but IF he has gone then good luck to him. It rankles that it is Sheffield Wednesday but who can blame him? So much of the move makes perfect sense for him and let's not forget one important thing. He owes us NOTHING. He has given us everything he has to give including his blood a couple of times. Let's just wish him well in his future career (except for when he comes back in a blue shirt obviously!)

2. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Re: We already have two (slightly) similar forwards at the club in Bradshaw and Armst

I think the pictures of him signing a contract in S6 make it pretty certain he's gone

3. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: We already have two (slightly) similar forwards at the club in Bradshaw and Armst

Armstrong nowt like him. Hoping he can step up, if not Payne/Bradshaw

4. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I fully agree mate with you. I've been saying the same today. We have Watkins, Bradshaw, Armstrong and Payne. I'd happily stick with that and not replace him with another striker, but just make sure we add a midfielder, ie Morsy, as we are too thin in midfield numbers. I'd prefer to add another winger instead of a striker as despite playing well on the wing, Marley should be played up front. Hammill, Kent, Janko and one other would satisfy our flanks.

5. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I still think Watkins works better out wide. And the other three don't have 10 between them do they?

6. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

No doubt in my mind that Watkins / Winnall has been our best front pairing over the last 12 months minimum. Watkins has done really well out wide, and improved dramatically over recent weeks, but I just don't think we look as good when Marley isn't up front. He pressurises defenders like no other striker IMO. As for the other 3 not scoring 10 between them, none have had the run of games that Sam has had. Sam deserved his run, I'm not doubting that, but it's extremely unfair to compare records in such circumstances.

7. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I think he's probably had a big bust up with Hecky who has had enough of him and thought I'll show him, offered him to Wednesday for 500k , they couldn't really turn it down , and that's his career over sitting in a sty until Hilly gets him on loan

8. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I don't know how Winnall would have faired without Hourihane putting balls on his head time and time again, but I'd wager that without Hourihane in our team, no way would Winnall have got nearly as many goals and his big move away.

Given the type of goals Winnall has scored, surely we could replace him with a target man who's good in the air? Obviously Winnall's positioning was very good, but a taller target man might get on the end of even more of Hourihane's crosses.

9. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark

May be a chance to recreate the way Bradshaw played at Walsall. ie...Uptop with a No.10 type player behind him.

He was successful there with that Sawyer kid playing off him, and it may be time for Moncur to step up to fill the role...

10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

No offence but doesn't Conor put the same balls on the heads of Bradshaw and Armtrsng? It's easy to dismiss a goalscorer.

11. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Every striker needs quality service to become regular scorers.

12. MonkeyRed

MonkeyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

My consolation (and I've needed it) today has been in thinking that Winnall's move away might allow others to flourish, particularly Bradshaw. I've noticed those two often naturally make the same kind of runs but Bradshaw plays a little within himself with Sam being the main man for so long. The shackles will be off now and Tom will be expected to lead the line.

Bradshaw has the potential to be a far better player than Winnall and he'll now get the chance to prove it. Hopefully those travelling to Fulham will give him some vocal backing... "Who needs Sam Winnall, we've got Tom Bradshaw" and all that!!

Plus, as much as I'm sure Wendies will call it sour grapes, we might come to realise Winnall isn't all that accomplished but is a great finisher. He's got a long way to go in terms of all round play and touch/lay off etc, hence the fact he's not moving to the Premier League. And he still misses enough good chances... he should score 40 a year!

Wednesday's problems have been in creating chances rather than finishing the ones they have. I don't think he'll fit into their side and I bet he'll go the Craig Davies route of benchwarming followed by a loan move away before long. Hooper and Fletcher are going to expect to play.

I for one will have no sympathy for Sam if that happens, particularly if reports that he'll be earning more in a week than I do in a year are accurate.

13. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Sam has had alot.more game time this season than both of them he has had his off.days bradshaw and armstrong will score at this level given the chance.

14. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

i like both players though don't think Armstrong fits into our system. I don't think either one will get as many goals as Winnall.

15. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Maybe Not this season bradshaws record at league one was just as good as sams and I don't think sam will get as many goals at wendsday we have been patient with him.at times this season when he has gone on bad spells I'm not sure wednesday will be especially with hooper fernando and fletcher who they payed big bucks for as competition.