We are a good League 1 team

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by ossettred, Dec 7, 2018.

1. oss

ossettred Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Should be better but we are what we are, a couple of quality January signings should take us back to where we belong.

2. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The policy of young players will cost us promotion this season. Next season our young players will do better, might get there and then side broke up to highest bidder

TrueRed92 likes this.
  3. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Under billionaire owners the spending model should have gone out of the window because if we breach ffp the fines are paltry in comparison. There isn't an excuse since the takeover for selling any under contract players. If Moore, Potts or any of our better players were sold I'd be pretty pissed off this time because it would seem for no financial gain.

That said I do still question why they bought the club in the first place.

DodworthRover likes this.
  4. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry but regardless of who owns the club I'd be ashamed and embarrassed if we just said **** it and deliberately set out to take a 'paltry' fine for cheating

Austiniho likes this.
  5. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have a few good players but placed far too much faith in poor, failed players to suddenly magically become good players which is why it is no surprise that they are still perfoming poorly and holding the team back. I've said it before, football is the only industry where employees failing to hit targets SAVES their jobs.

ubique_tyke likes this.
  6. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It could be argued that under billionare owners that signing young players who have a sell on ability.....is well .......shortsighted.
    We critizise that we dont want loads of loans...yet are happy to make profits on our players...once they do well. (usually short term)...then rinse repeat.
    At some stage we need to modify (again) our model.
    In short we never see the potential we have nurtured because we have to sell.

Kettlewell likes this.
  7. RedStriker

RedStriker Well-Known Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I love my club. If we cheat I will love it a little bit less.

8. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't realise anyone was marking us out of ten.

I'd like to see Barnsley F.C back in the Premiership sooner rather than later. Did spending beyond their means and sentiment deter Blackburn Rovers in 95 from buying league, Bolton yo-yoing, Wigan and Portsmouth buying F.A Cup triumph?

There isn't a "right way". It's about winning and making money.

Portsmouth have an F.A Cup n' UEFA cup football on their CV. Did they go under? They didn't.

Don't go holier than though suggesting it's cheating to want and do what other clubs have done successfully for years.

9. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's been no vibrations from the club that they're going to discard the 'model'. But weve seen a sign of progress with the Woodrow/Bradshaw situation. At the minute this has appeared to be an inspired move by all at the club. I believe without a shadow that Cryne trusted these new owners with the club, and at the minute they're running the club as should. No 'craziness', engaging the fans and getting the club into that promotion fight. Can't ask for more than that.

ScubaTyke and anstonred like this.
  10. Dar

Darfield138 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Athersley I get what you are saying. Woodrow is the type of signing we should be doing. Cost a bit more tha n the take a chance league two guy, but he's quality (as is kieffer and pinnock). A solid investment two years time he'll be £5 million. . I'd much rather see him in three years time banging them in for the reds in a prem season than we sell him for five million to sheff utd (who then go to the prem)

11. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’d like another right back & Dougall & our wingers to get fit but other than that I don’t think we’re far off at all.

It’s two from three in us Pompey & Sunderland I reckon

ScubaTyke and Connor like this.
  12. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have uunderperformed this season so far and should be slightly disappointed with our league position but with a new manager imposing his own vision it was never going to be completely plain sailing. I expect us to kick on free Christmas and establish ourselves in the top 2.

13. BramptonTyke

BramptonTyke Well-Known Member

Shop worker
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How many of this team would get in the playoff final team?? Moore for fletcher. Anymore???

14. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sheffield United fans would collectively choke on their greasy chip butties if their club shelled out £5 million for any of our players

15. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s his opinion. And I actually agree. The only way I could lose love for my club is if we cheated, spent beyond our means, signed ched evans or appointed steve Evans as manager. I would like us to be flexible in our approach. A lack of experience will hold us back - on and off the pitch. We should be employing someone with football experience to support in a DOF role, to run the on pitch side of the business and let GG concentrate on the commercial which is his background (and despite my like for him he’s still learning that role). We also need a leader on the pitch. Even the United team of 95/96 was built on Pallister and Bruce, with Schmeichel, Keane, Mclair, Cole. It was never ever just a bunch of kids - it was proven performers supplemented by (exceptionally) talented kids. The moment those in charge think we can get by on signing players based on their age, and then selling them, without the ability to actually progress and impress as a team, is the day we go backwards. I’m right behind this squad. I think there are some really really talented players. But they’ll never hit their full potential without players to learn off, and success on the pitch. It does worry me that the new owners are seemingly of a differing opinion. If you ever spoke to Patrick he completely understood the importance of collective value. That the team itself had to be successful to maximise the value of the player and the team.

I’m looking forward to January. The new owners have had a year. I’ll forgive Morais. Even a dropped bollock of such epic proportion can be forgiven when you consider those voting on his appointment were so fresh to football/English football. I could see why he seemed more appealing to them than Jack Ross. But now if they are unable to strengthen our squad in the few positions needed, or don’t invest, then I will start to seriously wonder what the future holds.

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Be very surprised if there isn't a significant bid for Moore from a Championship club. Players of his size with his mobility are few and far between..

One thing that may hold Championship clubs back is that he's never done it at that level. The counter to that is that he hasn't had much chance: he was very young while at Yeovil, Ipswich didn't play him and he didn't exactly have the best Championship team around him last season with us.

He looked OK last season with us, but not great. That may be due to the quality of the side he was in, that he didn't have all that long to settle and get up to speed at Championship level after playing the first half of the season in League 1, or that it he isn't of Championship calibre. I dunno.

I do think a bid will come in though. If I were a Championship manager I'd be very interested in a striker with 11 league goals in 18 starts, who is now scoring regularly from corners and is also capable of cracking one in from the edge of the box, who is 6'5 and capable of out pacing many a defender.

Bradshaw had his price. I would think all our players do.

17. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Given you’re an advocate for overspending, would you personally pay double or treble the ticket price if it was to go on players transfers and salaries and even avoid breaking rules?

We sold Bradshaw because he asked to be let go to move close to his family. Is this a valid excuse?

18. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Davies

Archerfield likes this.
  19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We sold Bradshaw because Millwall met our valuation.

Redstone and Geddiswasguud like this.
  20. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Outside of the super clubs every player has a price. I expect a bid for Moore too, his downfall at Championship level is his conversion rate, he does miss a he'll of a lot of chances, with us in this league he gets a lot more of them. Think he would do ok though as his all round game is strong and he does have a knack for getting the chances, Something Bradshaw didn't do.