Wednesday and Winnall

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Harry Hough, Feb 2, 2017.

1. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    You can't compare a career in football to a career doing a "normal" job.
    Football is a hobby, and you are incredibly lucky to make it as a professional footballer these days. If I It was up to me no footballer in the world would get paid for partaking in a sport, it's ridiculous when you think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    would you have left your job for 4x your salary?

3. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I blame the club more than the player. We should never sell good players to local clubs.

4. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Tyke The Tree-Frog Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hence why his comment is even more ridiculous.

5. One

One plus one equals three Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think that many people on this board think that for a player the main thing to always to be playing wherever they are. However, if I was in their position I would looking to find the best way to get the best out of my career. Thus if I was Sam I would think, well I have got as high up the ladder as I am likely to get. I am on a guaranteeed fortune for the next three years. What is my best plan of action to make the most of my career? If I am playing every match it is likely to shorten my career due to either siginificant injury or the general wear and tear which makes it more difficult to play into your thirties.

Thus what if I spend a year sitting on the bench and having a relatively easier time in terms of avoiding injury and general toll on my body? As well as maximising his income now, it is quite possible it will add another year at the end of his playing career. Assuming that he loves playing, he can console himself by knowing it is increasing his chances of playing longer. Being a goal scorer he is likely to get fan adoration as he drops down the leagues and thus his adrenalin rush and his ego will be maintained. All he is doing is taking a little time out to extend his career and future earning potential. Even at lower clubs his weekly pay will still be significant.

In my view, having a season or two bench warming, in order to maximise income, and elongate a career, is a very smart move

6. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just to be clear I did agree with you that everyone would leave for 4x their salary but was just trying to make a point that football is different and the opportunity they have and adoration that comes with it makes them fortunate people. But he can sit his grandchildren on his lap and tell them about the time he sat in the stands watching getting paid 18k a week contracted to the mighty Sheffield Wednesday but then again he could look back at how he was on 4k a week playing for little barnsley winning at Wembley twice or pushing for promotion to the premier League.
    Sorry for another ridiculous comment.

7. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like Ive said before. Football Union is the way forward!

8. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be fair he can't really be considered to have flopped if he never even played!

9. Ged

Geddiswasguud Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was listening to talk sport a few weeks ago now, I think it was Danny Murphy, who was talking about players getting moves for big money and big wages , which no one disputes is what we would all do. However he reckoned that and in his day and even the players now , want to play all the time and they all say the same thing (the retired ones) when you look back on your career it isn't the wages (although nice) you remember its the games and there's nothing worse than training and hearing all the storeys from the lads in the games you didn't play in, ok for a while but then it grates and eventually you will move for football and playing time, because, a he stated, you don't want to look back on a football career that was all about the team you were with but never actually played in.
    As I commented, we would all move jobs tomorrow for 4 x the salary but Sam will realise, he is now a small fish in a larger pond and unless Wednesday s money dries up and they implode, I cant see where he fits in, especially now Rhodes has arrived. I know its a squad game but another thing is that neither Winnall nor Rhodes are "footballers"....you know what I mean they are finishers, good at their art but not the kind who can link up play or start moves off, moves will break down but I kind of think we know who will start as a preference.
    Still good luck to the lad and his agent. I guess if he still isn't getting games and unhappy in a year or so, he may want to re evaluate his own plan.

10. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Some good points there. Personally I think Sam has made a mistake- had he stayed with us for the rest of the season and got to around 20 goals he would have had plenty of chances to move to a club which would have been a better fit for him for similar money, or even stay with us and get an increase to around 10K per week or so. For us he is almost guaranteed to play if fit, for the Fowls now they also signed Rhodes and kept Forestieri he is very much 3rd choice and will be warming the bench more often than not.
    I doubt Wednesday signed him to derail us, but I think they were worried Forestieri might go, and definitely were not sure they could get Rhodes and so signed him for insurance and as a squad player.

Of course Sam might also have thought Conor was going with him which could well have been a big factor in him leaving, though I think in this case his head was turned by money and he may well regret that later on.

11. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He can because it means he's not done enough in training or isn't as good as other options.

12. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He'll be consistently out on loan

13. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The standard of football would be pretty poor if no one got paid. May as well go and watch a Sunday league game.

14. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Maybe that's the answer.