Well, folloing the press conf...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Cod Eye, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Cod Eye

Cod Eye Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    ...it's much like the more realistic of us on here thought.

Keep trading on the same basis, but maybe with a little improvement on quality. But still living within our means.
    Nice fans turning up hours before their game).

And try and improve the marketing side of things and market us internationally(China and Indian markets mentioned in particular).

Like what I'm hearing to be fair...

Andy Mac and fitzytyke2 like this.
  2. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Me too. Looks a very professional set up. The areas that need improving IMO were all addressed & the things that don't, like the manager they gave support to. Can't see how I could have been more impressed.

3. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Investment in the team will grow as the club’s revenue grows.

I’m not sure how they are intending on growing revenue, or their plans for how much growth they expect to see, but I can’t see us splashing the cash anytime soon given that philosophy.

4. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    An interesting watch and a first sight. My experiences with financiers and venture capitalists is to judge on actions over time, and that's what everyone should be doing.

If their actions follow their words, its sensible and I can understand why Patrick felt comfortable doing a deal.

Most interesting aspects for me were; looking to take up an option to bring in 50% of the ground ownership in 6 months (50% would be retained by Council therefore), James being appointed on the board and 20% stake retained by the Cryne family, emphasis on balancing budget, widening the recruitment model to other markets, and improving revenue models.

I'm slightly more comforted a debt first approach isn't going to be adopted and that's good for the club going forward. I think the fact an Indian investor involved is a big indicator. China has had a lot of investment, a good deal of US investment, but India is pretty untapped.

I'd suspect heavy marketing through associated channels to generate interest in India, China and US. Sponsorship will see a big change I expect, localised tiny deals aplenty are likely to go, they just don't pay enough. But that has a flipside that we have to be interesting and attractive and gain more coverage. The new TV deals are very interesting that clubs can stream through their sites what previously only Sky could cover. That gives clubs more control and if pushed internationally to untapped countries, that could see a big generator of increased revenue.

Our revenue is pretty small and we've not historically been good at getting good sponsorship deals, good commercial agreements and good awareness beyond our local area. That could change.

I'm curious to see how that will impact with Barnsley culture. They may well try and dovetail some local arrangements and some international.#, but I'm not sure that would generate quite the growth of revenues they need to up investment and expenditure.

Interesting.... but still very very cautious.

5. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  6. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed listening to it.

Straight answers. No silly promises, just a gradual progression.

Connor likes this.