Well, I've now conceded the play-offs are now beyond us

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tarntyke, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been quite optimistic this season and I still think we'll have a top 10 finish, but 11 points adrift is too much now. Think we may have kick-started Derby's final assault on the play-offs. Really thought we'd win today as well.

2. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lack of options on bench and suicidal defending did for us.

Hope we can finish in top half now.

3. Spirit Ditch

Spirit Ditch Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah, barring Wednesday match that's the end of our season, may as well give players who will be here next year experience. I wonder if that's why Elliott Lee came on? Seems an odd sub at 1-1

4. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No other options given piss poor Jan and taking only two strikers off at all once!

5. Tyk

Tyke pigeon Banned Idiot

Were fortunate to have 50 points because we will finish nearer bottom. Not looking forward to next season were in a mess unless hecky can find a few gems

6. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Play offs were beyond us as soon as the window closed.

RichieD and SuperTyke like this.
  7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Any realistic hopes of the playoffs were dashed during the January transfer window. That's not negativity, just my belief that we'd have finished top six if we'd kept our team together.

Hykehamtyke and RichieD like this.
  8. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Season has been over since our wonderful coach had the best side we've had this century decimated and badly weakened. Lost to a team in even worse form than us and just like away at Villa we couldn't switch straight back on after scoring so conceded quickly after. As I've said after last few games roll on the summer.

Hykehamtyke likes this.
  9. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I conceded that the same time the board did when they decided to pocket a load of cash in January without securing appropriate replacements.

10. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's absolutely nothing fortunate about our points tally. The points are all well earned and with a bit more luck and without the numerous examples of atrocious decisions by the match officials we could've quite easily had enough points to be much closer to a play- off place

fitzytyke2 likes this.
  11. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well I never gave up until after all of today's results.

12. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have, by and large, stopped scoring from open play but are a tight enough unit to be competitive even when shorn of creativity.

I admire your optimism but I have to say you can't lose the players we did without properly replacing them and expect to prosper.

Not knocking anyone it's been a great season by anyone standards and I have really enjoyed it. Trying to finish in the top half had to be the aim after January and I hope we can do that with some easier games to come.

RichieD likes this.
  13. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it would have been difficult even with our best players. Teams in the top 6 in the Championship seem to be winning almost every week and regardless it was always possible that there would have been a drop off in form even with our best players like there was in October and November. However this position is one that every Barnsley fan would have taken before the season. We can hopefully play without pressure and just enjoy the rest of the season. Losing our best players coincided with a difficult run of fixtures but we certainly haven't done badly; competed very well in every game against some teams with quality players. As for the summer it will be a good chance to reevaluate and we will have more time to sign targets and get the extra bit of quality we need. These recent games have shown me that we really are not miles away from play-off sides, but they just have an extra bit of quality; and we can hopefully find someone to provide that in the summer.

14. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Have to agree on the PlayOffs being gone now, but I do hope they strive for a top ten finish.

15. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The issue is that that level of quality is likely to cost money we don't have.

16. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think despite how well we have done this season our final position wont reflect it. I can see us dropping down a bit now and gradually getting caught by some of teams we have been above all season

17. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The playoffs are gone. In my view even if we kept everyone it was a slight possibility, not a probability.

I am not going to criticise he club now having in the past tried to put forward my opinion without being accused of being a happy clapper or whatever.

To me it's relatively simple. Look at the books from last season. 'We went to Wembley twice and got promoted and still made a loss - we must be terribly run' was one snippet from that thread.

We went to Wembley twice, we got promoted, and still made a loss. I think that says it all, the club needs to cut its cloth accordingly. We then made a shed load of cash in the summer from Stones and Mawson.

The club offered deals to all the players who left in January. The deals weren't as good as the players wanted - but they were what the club felt they could afford. Nobody knew that those players would go on to be as good as they were in this division as they were completely untried. The club offered a good deal to Hammill in the knowledge he's a proven player at this level - let's be honest, he's been disappointing.

Get to January and Bree aside we face losing Winnall and Hourihane for absolutely nothing. So we allow them to go - meaning the club gets a fee and in all honesty they likely get a few more grand a month than they would if they'd waited.

January is a market for agents and players, and clubs who sell. For buyers it's a nightmare.

We had our pants down a bit. Ended up short of centre forwards.

But I wouldn't say we've hugely missed Bree since yids came back from afcon, (jones doesn't convince me but tbh Bree didn't defensively either), and Hourihane was never going to be able to be replaced 100% but matty James has looked good and mowatt is a good signing o reckon.

We didn't get a striker. The right one didn't materialise. Holding the funds until summer was likely the right call instead of spunking it on someone ***** for the sake of it.

Recruiting in summer is easier. We'll have targets.

Next season will be dictated more by who we don't keep in summer than who we bring in I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Spot on. We've been brilliant this season and have deserved everything we've got.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

19. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If only you were right and we needed just a little bit of extra quality to build on this season that's going to tail off like the last time under Keef we had a good first half of the season. Once our six loans have gone back, Scowen/Watkins leave for free, we sell those with only 12 months left so we don't have the same problems next January (such as both our centre halfs) and get shut of fringe players that have no chance of regular first team football so are better elsewhere (Payne, Tuton, Lee, Williams etc) we are going to need around 15 new players to bed in quickly. Lets hope June is a busy month.

20. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd definitely say we have missed Bree. More for his attacking play than his defensive work. He had become a great outlet and a source of attacking intent. A big loss.

RichieD likes this.