What happens if the public refuses to accept the cup as government?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SuperTyke, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Less than 215,000 successfully voted for them to become part of the UK government and yet their policies will now form part of the government decisions for half a decade. How the hell can that be right and just?

To put that into perspective that is less people than there are in Barnsley.

Edit: autocorrect blamed for changing dup to cup

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If they weren't so obnoxious I don't really see the issue.

Coalition governments are the norm in a lot of European countries with smaller parties often having influence beyond their voters.

I think our political system would be better if we abandoned FPTP and moved to a PR based system where alliance governments would be much more normal placing greater checks and balances and stop us veering from left to right and back again.

The issue is the DUP are crackpot terrorist sympathisers.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fans Forum

Merde Tete and DusThaNoIII like this.
  3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    There is a petition
    https://www.change.org/p/may-out-no-coalition-with-the-d-u-p

I must admit I don't want the DUP anywhere near government. I could accept the Tory Lib Dem coalition when their combined vote share was over 50%. And a lot of people voted for them But the DUP are a minority party with extreme views I don't want influencing the government.

Far worse than the SNP which I recall the Tories telling us shouldn't be involved in running the UK government

4. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not much we can do unfortunately- just let it run its natural course - they'll have fallen out in a few months then another GE in November

5. Hud

Huddersfield Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Are we talking about Labour?

6. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  7. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Democracy in action im afraid .. as one of the comedians said on the telly the other week... Where's a good old dictator when you need one..;)

8. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The worst thing about this coalition is the British government should not take sides in Northen Island and it's obvious they are going to, this could jeopardise the Good Friday peace agreement and bring hostilities back to the province. It's just stupid of the Conservative's to even contemplate such a coalition.

Sopwith Camel likes this.
  9. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    But it's the only way they can cling to power and what's best for the party must be the best thing to do even if it completely screws up the united kingdom

Sopwith Camel likes this.
  10. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem is that nobody else will consider a coalition with the Tories so this is the only way we can have a functioning government. I find it all a bit sad because to my mind, I thought that the tory lib dem coalition worked very well and represented what a coalition should be. There were compromises on both sides, some of which p!ssed me off as a tory, but that is what coalition is. But the Lib Dems have never recovered their reputation from being involved, which I find rather odd. Why on earth would a Lib Dem have a problem with being in a government coalition with anybody - it is the only way that they will ever get any of their policies enacted, and they are in favour of PR, which surely means permanent coalition.

11. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There are distinct differences in what the Tories and the DUP believe in which could present problems in any
    future collaboration.

The DUP are Climate deniers they are against women's rights , abortion, same sex marriage and the
    rights of the Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transexual community.
    They want a soft Brexit and their support comes from paramilitary activists and sympathisers who fully support
    the Queen, her Crown and dignity ( as opposed to Sinn Fein and the other fringe parties).

The Tories will now govern with DUP support in a "confidence and supply" agreement rather than the DUP having
    any direct everyday involvement in a Coalition in the strict sense of the word like the one with the Lib Dems.

They proposed measures that the Tories wanted to tear up, for example a triple lock on pensions and the maintenance
    of winter fuel payments for OAP's.

The other pledges in their manifesto were to increase spending on the NHS, the creation of more real jobs, a rise in educational standards, an increase in income, protection of family budgets, safer streets and smarter justice.
    From that one can deduce that the Tories will be asked to pump more cash into Northern Ireland as a direct trade off for continued DUP support.

Labour will hope they can find sufficient weak spots in the Queens speech to discourage the support of DUP MP's and any
    Tory dissidents who are now wanting to see changes at the top of their party.

If that does happen and eventually the Coaltion flounders which political pundits predict it will , there could be a chance of a Rainbow alliance involving Labour, the SDP, Greens and other fringe parties who have MP's at Westminster forming an
    alternative Coalition that will at least represent 56% of the Electorate who didn't want another Tory regime.
    As one of our other posters has said the Coalition between the Tories and Unionists could spell trouble in Northern Ireland.
    Let's hope that can be averted.?

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/06/09...g-new-troubles-to-northern-ireland-sinn-fein/

12. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jimmy I suspect your name is now top of the hit list.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  13. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh it's like Brexit all over again. Folk don't like the result and they start a petition to do it again.

If Labour had have got more seats, but not a majority, they'd have had to join up with the SNP, Liberals, Green and Others.

14. Jimmy viz

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not scared my missis is dead hard and I'm in the good books.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fan Forum mobile app

15. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't accept Blair ruining the country and leaving it vulnerable to terrorism but I'd got to wear it.

Sent from the darkest recesses of a poisoned mind.

Jimmy viz likes this.
  16. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Still, at least Tresemme can drop 'running through wheat fields' as the naughtiest thing she's done and change it to 'restarting the Troubles'.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

17. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I think he's safe for now. Banner headline in today's Daily Mirror is:

"Coalition of Crackpots " with a photograph of May looking as though she's chewing a wasp.
    It appears the 1922 Committee are carefully watching from the sidelines with the disembowelling
    knife at the ready. The vultures are now circling, Buffoon Boris is favourite to succeed her he's quoted at 7/4, David Davis
    who lost to Cameron is at 7/2, Amber Rudd is priced at 6/1 and outsider " Spreadsheet "Philip Hammond goes at 16/1.
    There's also some money on a joint ticket of Rudd and Gove- God help us if he makes a comeback.

Opposition to the DUP has already started to surface. Ruth Davidson the Scottish Conservative leader has bluntly showed her opposition by tweeting a link to a gay pride speech she gave in Belfast last year.
    Davidson who is openly gay herself said " From a Protestant Unionist about to marry a female Irish Catholic, here's the Amnesty Pride lecture in Belfast."

She'll get on famously with DUP MP Ian Paisley Junior who has openly gone on record as saying he opposes homosexuality.
    He has also said that he was " repulsed by gay people" and describes their activities as " immoral, offensive and obnoxious".

He threw his weight behind one of his parties previous campaigns SUS- Save Ulster (from ) Sodomy.!
    The DUP also believe that climate change is a myth believing instead in the Old Testament's description of how God created the Earth rather than backing theories such as evolution.!!

Now that May's unelected control freak advisors Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill who in private Tory circles are referred to
    as the unofficial Prime and Deputy Prime Ministers have resigned the Tory grandees are in despair as to how she will perform in the coming days and weeks.

Lord Bell who masterminded the Thatcher victories has said " It was the worst campaign ever. There was nothing to persuade people to vote Tory."

That's a massive statement by a dyed in the wool Tory that sums up what a political failure their election campaign really was
    particularly as when campaigning first started it was mooted that they had a lead over Labour of some 23 points.!

18. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    All the fave potential leaders are outright looney vote losers. Ruth Davidson is a godsend to the Tories but they probably wont see it. Labour leadership must be praying for Boris.

19. Farnham_Red

Style:
    Barnsley
    Boris or the Rudd Gove nightmare team would be good for labour. Davidson would be the best choice if they want to repair the damage but they can hardly put a sinner like her in charge if they need the support of the Looney creationists

20. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Amber Rudd can't be considered because she now only has a majority of about 350. They can't risk having a leader who might lose their seat at the next election.