What is our future

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Homer, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Hom

Homer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This year like last year has been very good for the club. On reflection it has all being for one reason. The manager Hecky. It is his work on the players and for the club that has put us where we are. You can fetch all the lower league players you want but someone has to develop them and bring them on in a good coaching system.
    Mick McCarthy acknowledged Hecky and said he would probably win an award this year as probably the best manager in the Championship on the lowest rescources.
    The way things are now starting to pan out we will fizzle out into middle of the league.
    The club has an Owner who is fighting illness, we do not have an executive in place. We have one non existent Director and another who I will pass judgement on
    We have loan players to go back.
    We have players whose contracts are up
    We had the heart of our team ripped out of us in January
    All through bad decisions in the Board room.
    The biggest and most profound problem we now have is we will lose Hecky. Then we have completely pressed the destruct button
    There will be big clubs already watching his progress and it is very likely he will be offered mega money to move
    We know he is a Barnsley lad but he must have ambitions of his own to manage at the very top.
    I hope he does not go but looking at the workload he has had imposed on him he is having to run and manage the club on his own
    If Hecky goes the club will go right back to league one

2. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think one way or another we won't have Hecky in charge by the end of next season as either.....

1) His latest squad rebuild job doesn't gel, isn't successful and because there is no sentiment in football we have go get rid of him in the hope that we stay up and save the millions relegation costs you, as nobody is bigger than the club.

2) He improves new signings, we are challenging for the play offs again (but with players with 2-3 years left on contracts) and because of league position we are in the situation we are this season where bigger clubs come in and weaken our team. If that happens again I can see him either walking or wanting to talk to another club.

PonteEndGav likes this.
  3. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lot of vacancies have come and gone, but there is little sign that he is being tapped yet. Who would come in? A wealthy championship club would probably want a manager with premiership experience. A less wealthy championship club is the same as where he is now. A wealthy league one club might be the greatest threat, but why drop a division? Wigan? Who else? Would you really want to go to Notts Forest, or Blackburn in their present state? Get Hecky on a good deal and plan to continue to roll out the success story, even if that might mean slipping back occasionally to rebuild.

4. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bristol City might need a manager at some point...

5. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    And Sheffield Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Hom

Homer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Putting this back up as I could see what could happen to our club after the latest odds on Hecky for Norwich

7. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

8. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Playing Championship survival for 2 or 3 seasons.

9. Red

Red CB Well-Known Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Having read the ops original post, I think I might just slash my wrists now !

10. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The problem with posts like this is that you get slated for being realistic. I like to have an eye on the worst-case scenario and work back. I usually arrive in a good place!

Perhaps a better way to address this question is to ask: what would we like our future to hold, and is that realistic? That might at least be a different conversation, because we've kicked this debate around quite a bit (even though this is a discussion forum!)

For me, watching BFC play and be comfortable in the Championship is about the realistic limit of our short to medium term aims. There are lots of good, attractive games at this level. That's in contrast to League One, where the standard of football is considerably poorer. We've had a great couple of seasons. But my worry is that the uncertainties around at the moment mean that this season in no way establishes us in the Championship going forward. Major building blocks have gone - Hourihane, Winnowl. Others are very likely to go in Summer. Marley (we can't compete for wages with Cardiff), Josh (rumoured to want to return south - and will have options) and Roberts (has to be an attractive prospect). With no current loanees set to return, and uncertainty over the owner (and therefore chairman), CEO and the head coach (must be attractive to wealthier clubs) I think that the opportunity and the time to rebuild the squad this summer are limited.

What's to be done? I honestly don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

11. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm just grateful to have a club.

Redstar likes this.
  12. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Here goes the bringer of doom...leaving myself open for loads of flack...No disrespect to PC but if and when he passes over due to his terrible illness, the biggest question will then arise....PC and BMBC own the land and the ground...PC owns the team.....nobody will want to buy just the team...they cant raise money ( loans ) against the team...stumbling block number one.....PCs family will no doubt then struggle to sell their share if its put on the market has i cant see any investors wanting to be part owned by the BMBC...stumbling block two......BMBC are already upsetting PC because they wont sell him their share of the deal so they certainly wont sell to any new investors...stumbling block three......Chuck into the mix Number one son as made it clear already BFC isnt for him....Should PC leave the team to the fans....the fans wont have the cash to run the club....So in my opinion we could find at some point, a lock out and a stalemate with gates padlocked and the first team nowhere to play....The future doesnt look very bright at all in fact it looks very bleak in my opinion....I hope very much im wrong....save yourselves the abuse....Ive taken the rose tinted glasses off..

13. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Let us deal with the land and leave the rest alone for now.

Let us say that the land has a value of £6m. Forget who owns it. That is the value of the land because it is partially in green belt and the other bit is used for playing football on and parking cars on. The land only has a value higher than its initial value (£6m in this example) if you are successful in changing its current use. You cannot pledge the asset against a loan that exceeds its value, otherwise if you default on the loan, the lender cannot recover his money from selling the asset. In fact many people were allowed to borrow considerably less than the value of their house when they took out their mortgage. So the land cannot be worth more than the buyer paid unless there is a change of use, otherwise the buyer can borrow less than the amount of money they paid to obtain the land originally.

In order to get a change of use, the buyer has to convince the council to take the training areas out of green belt. It is very unlikely that the council would do that. In order to get a change of use on the stadium and car park, once again there are problems. First of all, the club must have somewhere to play football. This will involve the construction of a new stadium elsewhere, which will mean that planning permission has to be sought for the new stadium. Secondly, if the owner wanted to demolish Oakwell and build houses, say, once again he has to apply for planning permission. Barnsley MBC values the club and the publicity that it attracts to the town. It is very unlikely that planning permission would be granted unless BMBC was satisfied that the club would continue to thrive in its new circumstances.

I feel that there is very little profit in the transaction under these circumstances, and therefore I do not believe there is any increase in value locked away in the land and buildings. If there is no profit locked away in the value of the land and buildings, there is no reason for the club to own the land in the first place. In these circumstances, I would prefer that the club did not get into a debt that it cannot afford to service, and it will not do so if it has nothing to pledge against the loan.

14. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wow. I agree with all of that. I have just said in another thread that our assets are our championship status and the manager we have. I believe this makes us a decent investment for a potential owner - which I'm sure you won't agree with. If we did own the land it is only of any relevance if it is sold and this would have to be offset against the costs of relocation. The value of the land would be dwarfed by the financial returns of one season in the premiership. In my opinion.

15. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It would be if we didn't spend any of the Premiership money, but I cannot imagine that you would stay quiet and let that happen.

So all we have to do now is get promoted. Should be a snip.

16. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Normal service resumed.