whats your pet hate

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by pramman, May 8, 2008.

1. EastStander

EastStander Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What about disabled badge holders being allowed to park on double yellow lines, I don't get that.....the double yellow lines are there to prevent people parking, often because it may be dangerous or otherwise block the road, so why is it ok?!
    Perhaps they could paint double blue lines or something in areas where it's restricted parking but ok for disabled, and then double yellow can be no parking at all.

2. EastStander

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Your not wrong with you're pet hate!

Also, the misplaced apostrophe.

E.g. your'e instead of you're - it's not difficult, you put it where it replaces the missing letter(s)!

3. Gue

Guest Guest

where they call them "mother and child" parking spaces

I often use them to park when with my mum. The signs never stipulate how old the child is expected to be.

4. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why would you take the car seat out of the car?

Genuine question by the way, I don't have kids. I'm struggling to see why you would take the seat out of the car, surely you would just take the child out of the seat while still in the car?

I'm pretty sure that someone will mention a really obvious point as to why i'm an idiot for asking this :D

5. EastStander

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sexiest as well

Why can't the father park there with his kids? Or what if they aren't your kids? You might have adopted or abducted them!

6. juttyp

juttyp Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    RE: Why would you take the car seat out of the car?

Because you can't sit a baby in the trolley as they are too small. Supermarkets now provide trolleys that you can attach the car seat to. Asda have them and we used to use them all the time. Also some pushchairs have a clip so you can put the car seat into it, it's so you don't desturb a sleeping child getting them in and out of car seat. It's just something else the supermarkets provide to get us to shop there. A parent and toddler/baby space is just the same as any other perk a supermarket provides,ie place to tie you dog up, help with packing, them little places to leave your shopping in Morrisons etc. People who have a problem with the spaces should remember they were once kids and they may also have kids soon, it's just a pity they think it's clever to bitch on about screaming babies and parents getting money for them.

7. Gue

Guest Guest

Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council

8. Gue

Guest Guest

Right here's my list

1. chavs of any description

2. people who think the state owes them a living and that child benefit payments are to be used for Sky TV, cigarettes, and boozing during the day to let them forget that their kids have 9 ASBOs and are out in a posher neighbourhood wrecking people's property through jealousy

3. people who drive in the outside lanes of a dual carriageway or motorway when they're not overtaking anything because they seem to believe that the inside lane is for peasants, lorry drivers, and people aged 90 or older.

4. people who use apostrophes in plurals.

5. people who can't accept an accident is an accident and instantly treat the slightest mishap as a potential lottery win

6. kids who think that everyone enjoys listening to tinny gangsta rap blaring out of a (probably stolen) mobile phone whilst on the bus. how generous of you to share you delightful tunes

7. americans playing online racing games who can't understand that to make a car go round a corner you brake and turn, not ram the wall as hard as possible and hope the car bounces off facing the right direction and then promptly complain when you slightly nudge them whilst trying to overtake

9. juttyp

juttyp Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They are different pies

<div class="content">Shepherd's Pie and Cottage Pie are very similar. Shepherd's Pie is made from lamb whereas Cottage Pie uses beef.

COTTAGE PIE

1 onion
    1 carrot
    1 tablespoon of oil
    500 grams / 1 lb of beef mince
    2 tablespoons of flour
    1 tablespoon of tomato sauce (ketchup)
    &frac12; to 1 tablespoon of Worcester sauce (Lee &amp; Perins)
    &frac12; cup of peas
    &frac12; cup of corn kernels (optional)
    1 bouquet garni or a small bunch of herbs chopped finely and one whole bay leaf
    &frac34; to 1 cup of beef stock
    3 to 4 large potatoes
    1 tablespoon of butter
    salt and pepper
    Peel and chop the onion and carrot finely. Heat the oil in a large frypan or saucepan, add the onion and cook until the onion is clear or translucent. Add the minced beef and saut&eacute; using a wooden spoon break up the mince so it is nice and fine. When the mince is thoroughly browned stir through the flour and cook for one minute. Add the tomato sauce, Worcester sauce, finely chopped carrot, peas, corn and herbs. Stir thoroughly to combine. Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cover, simmering for 10 to 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be quite thick. Remove and discard the bouquet garni or whole bay leaf and set mixture aside.

Peel the potatoes, chop into quarters and place in a medium saucepan with cold water just covering the potatoes. Add a little salt to the water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. When the potatoes are cooked, drain and place back on the heat for a few seconds to let any extra water evaporate. Mash the potatoes with one tablespoon of butter until the potato is very creamy - add a little milk if necessary. Add salt to taste.

Preheat the oven to 190&deg;C, 375&deg;F or gas mark 5. Spoon the mince mixture into a pie dish, then spoon or pipe the creamy mashed potato over the mince. Sprinkle grated cheese on top if desired and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the potato is golden and the pie is heated through

SHEPHERD'S PIE

500 grams / 1 lb of leftover roast lamb (or roast beef)
    1 tablespoon of tomato sauce (ketchup)
    &frac12; to &frac34; cup of leftover gravy (jus roti) or packet-mix gravy
    1 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
    3 to 4 large potatoes
    1 tablespoon of butter
    salt and pepper
    Preheat the oven to 180&deg;C, 350&deg;F or gas mark 4. Trim excess fat off the leftover roast and chop very finely by hand or in a food processor. Mix the roast with the tomato sauce and enough gravy to make a thick paste, stir in the chopped parsley, a little salt and pepper and spoon into a pie dish.

Peel the potatoes, chop into quarters and place in a medium saucepan with enough cold water to just cover the potatoes. Add a little salt and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. When the potatoes are cooked, drain and place back on the heat for a few seconds to let any extra water evaporate from the potatoes. Mash the potatoes with one tablespoon of butter until the potato is very creamy - add a little milk if needed. Add salt to taste.

Spoon or pipe the creamy mashed potato over the minced roast mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese if desired and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the potato is golden and the pie is heated through.</div>

10. EastStander

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Number 7

I do that on racing games....but I'm English so it'll be ok!

11. act

acton_red Active Member

Now there's one that annoys me. Check out staff that ask if I want help with packing

Why would I want help with packing? Do I look so stupid I cant pack a few bags. They would only mess it up and damage the shopping anyway

12. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would query the issue with you

Well kind of anyway. Allow me to explain.

For a second let's pretend that Laura is an adult, just because it's a little easier that way. SHE should be the only one that as a disabled badge, not you on her behalf, not crystal, not Chris, only the disabled person. It should then be her responsibility ensure that she know who is using her badge at all times, just like it is mine to know who is using my car at all times. She should then be responsible for ensuring that it is ONLY used when she is in the car and if it is used when she isn't then she should be fined or even worse, imprisoned after repeat offenses (pretty much the same as you would for making other crimes.

For people who aren't capable of making their own decisions (mentally disabled or children for example) then one person and one person only should be registered as the keeper of the badge (the same person that gets free car tax). In most cases a child but in other cases the registered carer of that person. If the badge is used when the disabled person isnt in the car then they get prosecuted. Simple.

Obviously in your case this would be perfectly fine. You or crystal would be registered and as you have already stated, you only use it correctly.

The reason I think it should be like this is because at the moment they are abused too much. I know 2 people that have cars taxed free and use a disabled badge EVERY time they go out. They park on yellow lines and both say the same thing. If the police see them parking then they say they are picking someone up and so need to be parked there. If they see them leaving instead then it's 'i dropped someone off'.

As for the original point of the disabled badge holders, I think that they are given out for too many reasons. Physical disability that stops someone from walking (or hinders them walking) should be the ONLY reason for getting a badge. I know someone who gets one because he has a hand missing. And this means he has to park next to the door for why? Does he walk on his hands? no. then park in the carpark. Another has one because his sister has learning dificulties and the mental ages of a teenager (in his 30's). Again, this stops him from walking how?

If you have nothing stopping you from walking then you have no reason at all to have a badge permitting you to park anywhere special.

Anyway, i'm sure somebody will pick me up on a load of points

13. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well you live and learn. Car seats that can be clipped into stuff. Bloody marvellous thinking that is. See, I told you it would be something obvious.

I think that mother and child spaces are a good idea (though I don't like the name mother and toddler, a bit sexist) but I also think there should be some provision for people being allowed to park in them when the carpark is completly full (same goes for disabled spots). I have never understood why there are 20 empty disabled spaces yet instead of being allowed to use one I, along with the other 10 people, have to circle the carpark for 15 minutes waiting for somebody to leave. Madness.

14. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Brought up two kids in the late 80s

no special parking spaces then... seemed to manage alright. No special trollies apart from the one where you could stick one of your kids in the front bit on a kind of seat. </p>

</p>

15. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't remember where but I read that that is wrong

They were originally invented to warn people to back off because there is a child on board. the article that I read even had a quote form the emergency services saying that a baby on board sign would not help in an emergancy.

16. Ano

Another Bubble New Member

Home Page:
    Got to admit, I'm with you on that one. Although, as a blue badge holder, I can legally park on double yellow lines for up to 2 hours, I never ever do. I simply don't feel comfortable doing it. As you say, they're there for a reason.

Now double blue lines, you could be onto something but I suspect they'd only be suitable for places covered by single yellow lines, which I also choose never to park on.

17. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What are double blue lines for anyway?

I saw some somewhere between the m25 and wembley, they were all over the place.

18. Ano

Another Bubble New Member

Home Page:
    RE: What are double blue lines for anyway?

Basically that parking is prohibited at all times although certain exceptions may be in place for loading/unloading.

19. Rosco

Rosco Well-Known Member

Optimist
    Born in Birdwell, living in Sin (well...Cheshire).
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Excellent list

but the last ones a little specific, can't we just hate Mercuns?

20. Ric

Richie B New Member

Home Page:
    People that drive in the 2nd lane of duel carriage ways

When there is no one in the first lane to overtake.

For example heading to Morrisons at Brampton. People get in the second lane at the Hemingfield roundabout ready to turn off to the shops.

Does my head in!