Where is everyone going on holiday?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Huddersfield Red, May 8, 2017.

1. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you have obviously not googled Merde Tete. ;)

2. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    6 months in the Bahamas after I was made aware of a business opportunity on here to purchase large sums of counterfeit currency

Mido and tyrone1 like this.
  3. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Can add a trip to Rome for Totti's last game for AS Roma to that list now too!

4. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm in Slovakia as we speak. Dental holiday.

5. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lake District for a week at the end of this month/beginning of June, taking in the bank holiday.

Then Hurghada, Egypt, in August. It'll be lovely and cool at that time of year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. upt

upthecolliers Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thought they had stopped flights into Egypt Troff, I know for definite that Thompson has cancelled all flights into Sharm as I had booked there for the Red Sea diving, I then had to change and we decided to go to Cape Verdi as we had never been before.

7. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been Hurghada loads. You staying at Markadi Bay?

8. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Angkor would have been even better if we hadn't all been doubled up with food poisoning.

One of my favourite things about Cambodia was the number of improvised vehicles on the road. The best one was the front end of a Harley Davidson style motorbike, welded to a two-wheeled trailer at the back. I also love the way they pile ten metre high towers of goods on the back of the said vehicles, and then look shocked when they topple over, covering the highway in split boxes of fake Nike swimming shorts.

John Peachy likes this.
  9. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes pal, Jaz Makadi Saraya Splash resort

10. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Flights still cancelled into sharm but hurghada is fine up to now, it's never really had any issues security wise either.

Wouldn't take the kids if I thought there'd be an issue, going on a good friends recommendation. Wants to be good at 3.5k for one week!!

11. jedi one

jedi one Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    good luck with the eastern Europeans, its their Benidorm. but it a nice place despite their greedy little brats

12. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Whereabouts Troff, Keswick is my favourite. good base for fell walking

13. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been thinking about Cape Verdi. Wasn't on my radar until someone at work mentioned it. Be interested to know what its like. Been before?

14. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just back from a week in Madeira, with wife - I must be the only bloke who can make that new bust of CR7 look good by standing next to it!
    Herefordshire for a week's fishing next month and again in October, with mate. Whitstable and Kos in between, with wife.
    Guess which I'm looking forward to most.

15. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ullswater, just past a village called Pooley Bridge.

We always go to Keswick at least once in the week, it's not far.

I can't do much fell walking anymore due to mobility restrictions, severely knackered knee from an rtc years ago, but in the years before that I took in some lovely walks and sights. Barton Fell (near where we stay) gives some of the most spectacular views you can imagine from the top, overlooking the lake below. As a family we've been going up for well over twenty years, since I was a kid, I love taking my kids now. Also going with my mother and even my grandparents this year - they are even less mobile than me so there's a cripples committee for when the others go for an adventure!

Used to enjoy a walk up Whinlatter, just through Keswick, but that got a bit 'touristy' though. (By which I mean they built a car park, coffee shop and proper paths...).

As I say though the 'proper' walks are just a memory. I had the accident when I was 21 - it'll be 13 years this year - and I have to be careful how far I walk and especially careful of what's underfoot, I could end up in traction again very easily!

I still naughtily limp up a bit of Barton now and again, just to get the views. I struggle more getting back down than getting up, the knee can't control me (as I can't do much exercise there's plenty of me), but I can't run either so I end up falling over, usually into sheep *****

16. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ullswater, just past a village called Pooley Bridge.

We always go to Keswick at least once in the week, it's not far.

I can't do much fell walking anymore due to mobility restrictions, severely knackered knee from an rtc years ago, but in the years before that I took in some lovely walks and sights. Barton Fell (near where we stay) gives some of the most spectacular views you can imagine from the top, overlooking the lake below. As a family we've been going up for well over twenty years, since I was a kid, I love taking my kids now. Also going with my mother and even my grandparents this year - they are even less mobile than me so there's a cripples committee for when the others go for an adventure!

Used to enjoy a walk up Whinlatter, just through Keswick, but that got a bit 'touristy' though. (By which I mean they built a car park, coffee shop and proper paths...).

As I say though the 'proper' walks are just a memory. I had the accident when I was 21 - it'll be 13 years this year - and I have to be careful how far I walk and especially careful of what's underfoot, I could end up in traction again very easily!

I still naughtily limp up a bit of Barton now and again, just to get the views. I struggle more getting back down than getting up, the knee can't control me (as I can't do much exercise there's plenty of me), but I can't run either so I end up falling over, usually into sheep *****

BFC Dave likes this.
  17. BFC Dave

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I know that area quite well. The old bridge was washed away in the floods a couple of years ago. Really sorry to hear of your accident mate, I take it trekking poles won't help ?

18. BFC Dave

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Also try lattrig near Keswick. There's a road nearly to the top with a 10 minute walk up a good track to the summit. The views of the vale of Keswick towards borrowdale are amazing on a clear day

19. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No mate, I've no proper lateral support in the knee. If I walk too far it tires, and is more likely to collapse left or right. It also bloody hurts to walk far, it hurts constantly but you get used to the everyday pain, but to make sure I can function day to day, get to work etc, I have to restrict myself.

The car crash was pretty severe but luckily (or unluckily depending on whether it's a glass half empty or full kind of day...) a lot of the energy of impact went through my right knee which presumably collided with the dash. Also smashed my elbow to pieces and a thankfully relatively minor head injury, I was knocked out though briefly, and sometimes even now I can forget conversations, but I'm otherwise good. Apart from the knee. If I'd been slightly older it's likely my bones would have shattered on impact but being 21 they were soft enough to take it, so the soft tissues took the damage.

Net result was both the posteria and anterior cruciate ligaments were damaged beyond repair or reattachment, my medial ligament popped off and the lateral collateral ligament pretty much disintegrated. Even in today's medical world if I'd been a footballer I'd imagine it was game over.

Anyway I had all sorts of repair surgery but long story short, as I realise I'm being a bit long and boring, the grafts all failed and got infected, had to be removed, and they ended up slicing some of my calf muscle off to fill in the knee, and the only thing stopping it moving side to side is that and some scar tissue. It looks a mess from the outside and I imagine to a professional it looks worse internally. My surgeon just apologised a lot!

It's showing signs of becoming arthritic now, which was inevitable but not ideal at 34.

I'm not dead though. There's worse off than me. Would have been nice to be able to be more active with the kids and stuff but at least I went on to have them! It's also a cracking excuse for being a fat bar steward

20. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry to hear about your knee Troff. Hang in there bud.
    Me and my wife love Tenerife. Gran Hotel Costa Adeje ( Monarch Holidays).
    Been five times and aiming to go again sometime this year.
    Hotel Bologna in Lake Garda another favourite. ( Inghams ).