Which party will make you richer

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Farnham_Red, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Answer of course is non of them

Interesting article here - linked from my local radio station website but the analysis is from Sky News

https://www.964eagle.co.uk/news/uk-...17-which-of-the-parties-will-make-you-richer/

Headline is all make you worse off - on average
    The Lib Dem plans imply a 1.2% fall, the Conservatives a 1.6% and the Labour plans a 2.1% fall

but for the poorest 10%
    The poorest 10% would see 3.2% fall in incomes under the Lib Dems, and more than double that - 7.2% - under Labour and if the Tory manifesto was implemented: a 9.5% fall.

The only group that can be better off are the richest and that's only if the Tories get in.
    Hands up those who think voting for the party that robs the poor to give more money to the rich is a good thing for the country.

Of course if we have a cliff edge brexit and have for example 10% tariff on car exports to the EU and lose any financial trading rights all those figures get a lot worse as there will be less money for everyone

2. Euroman

Euroman Well-Known Member

Training and Development Consultant retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Tories want to remove the triple lock on pensions, take away my fuel allowance, bus pass, take my home away if I should need care. I don't think I will be much better off under Labour but I know I will have food on the table and be able to keep warm and will have the NHS if I need it. The Tories are the only going to make me a lot poorer. If I want to pass anything on to the Children and Grandchildren the only way to do it would be to die. I think that's what the Tories want. They have killed off over 4000 with IDS and his cuts, they have now gone for the disabled and now they are going after the elderly.

Sopwith Camel and Connor like this.
  3. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Voting Conservatives tomorrow because I think it's the right think to do with everything taken into account.

4. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Farnham_Red likes this.
  5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's a difficult question on a personal level. I would be taxed slightly more but my kids would have access to a free in education. My house wouldn't be robbed later in life because of the dementia tax so again a balance.

It's clearly the tories agenda to run down the NHS to such a point that they can say it's failed and privatise it. Nationalising the railways is clearly the right thing to do any sensible party would do so. Sorting out the privatised **** show of our utilities is also the actions of any sensible party.

I also want a better future for my kids. Currently we flog weapons to those that hate our way of life and support terrorism I want a government that wants to stop this. One that does not engage in foreign wars then leave decimated countries as breeding grounds for terror. One that employs enough police and security personnel to keep us safe.

The strange thing about the conservative manifesto is I can see virtually nothing positive for ordinary people in it. No great policy to reach out to people. They have attacked school kids and pensioners gone back on a promise to build social housing so bless you are into hunting I can't see anything that anyone would choose to vote for.

So financially maybe I'd be better immediately under the tories but my country would be a warmer safer place under a Labour and in the long term my tax would mean I didn't have to fork out over a hundred grand if my kids wanted to go to uni.

So let's build hope not hate let's not smear and lie like the tories have. Let's be positive. Let's be the country we could be. Let's look forward not back. For the many not the few.

Sent from my iPad using Barnsley FC BBS Fans Forum

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Generally speaking my income is historically higher under the torrid but the wife's salary is slightly higher under labour, however this isn't how I'm looking at who to vote for and with everything taken into account, I'm still not sure who to pick.
    As I've said before it's like choosing between being eaten by a tiger or a crocodile. One is quick and over aggressive, the other takes its time until you're begging for the end.

7. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's just not true though is it? Regardless of which party gets in, money is taken from the rich to give to the poor. There's just slight disagreements over how much that should be.

8. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A Greek wedding party if you`re the bride or groom.

9. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You've got your analogy the wrong way round. Wealth is transferred from the many to the few. The question is, under our current economic system, which party does more to stop that process

John Peachy likes this.
  10. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I've thought long and hard about this having voted in every GE that I've been eligible.

I was strongly considering voting Lib Dem for the first time due to the EU stance, but their local candidates effort to groom votes is so woeful I just can't bring myself to do it.

I won't vote Tory, I won't vote Labour. There isn't the option of none of the above and I cant see the point in spoiling a ballot.

So tomorrow, instead, I'm going out with my mum to have a nice day, before the carnage commences on Friday.

11. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If all things were equal we would all have an equal amount of money. The fact that some are extremely rich shows that money is taken from the poor to give to the rich not the other way round.

12. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not interested in being made richer. Happy to pay a bit more to see a properly funded NHS, schools, housing and social care.

13. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So people who try hard in life, who get themselves and education, work 40 hours a week to better themselves, their families and contribute to society should have just as much money as people who coast through life, don't bother getting a job and leech off the state?
    Just because someone has a bit more money than someone else, it doesn't mean they've taken it from the poor. They could have worked very hard to earn it.

14. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This statement is somewhat simplistic.

How can you take something from a poor person who has nothing in the first place?

15. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd probably have more money in my pocket with the Tories.

BUT......
    I wouldn't get a police officer when I needed one.
    Kids I know would be going to under funded schools.
    I'd fear walking in crowded places because of lack of security and border controls.
    An hard Brexit would leave 1000s out of work locally - some of whom maybe family and friends.
    Although I'm of an age where I might need the NHS I'd be more worried attending an Hospital.
    The environment and wildlife areas that I love would be trashed or under pressure from development.

So all in all - I'd be much poorer even though I had more money in my pocket.

BFC Dave and Connor like this.
  16. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fecking remoaners. Amazing how people can't see the woods for the trees.

Yeah that would be terrible Just think with jaguar, looking at 10% duty into that relatively small European market for them with a 15% devaluation of the pound meaning jaguar cars (and Nissan, Toyota and Honda for that matter) can sell for exactly the same price in Europe as before - just terrible. Also knowing that BMW, AUDI, Volvo and Mercedes - in their single biggest export market now have a 10% import duty (which goes into the NHS) and a 15% appreciation in costs due to currency - meaning jaguar now have a 25% cost advantage into a market that Jaguar has 2% market share and these equivalent european brands have 20% market share.

Imagine how terrible that is going to be for Jaguar, and other manufacturers having to increase production 10 fold.

Fecking awful that -

I've just done the analysis for my own business (i.e. the one I work for). Yes we'll be hit by around €200,000 Euros in duties. But our french competitors who - if outside the EU would be guilty of dumping into the uk market - will now be hit by anti-dumping legislation and a 12% import duty - meaning I might just pick up another 20% market share and take on another shift! IN YORKSHIRE.

All really fecking awful impacts of Brexit.

17. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    There are of course some businesses who may well be better off under Brexit, but are you seriously telling me that a 15% devaluation of the pound and a 10% import tax is going to make us all better off? I really cant see how that works.

Most businesses and economists think a hard brexit is a bad thing - whether they are remainers or not.

But this wasnt really a remain thread - that was just an aside to point out that the figures assume the economy performs as expected which may not be the case depending on what happens around brexit

18. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Most economists my FTSE top 25 company employs say it will just about work itself out flat overall - as does each of the individual business units within the group;

We've also recognised that we're going to have to train a lot more people as we can't simply import the skills. I wonder who that is going to benefit. Maybe our kids who can't get jobs currently.

I'm constantly amazed how many people choose not to see how it could work - focusing on one narrow aspect like the price of their pretentious precious BMW' going up by 10%

I have shown you how it could work.and how many more British Workers could get highly paid highly skilled jobs - and whilst prices may rise - wages should too - by more than prices (if you choose the right product)

You just have to be a little more optimistic - a little bit creative and innovative about solving the problem and stop being so defeatist.

DSLRed likes this.
  19. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What jobs were you importing anyway? And why?

20. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    WTO default tariffs are 12%, plus VAT on top would put it towards 15% on *everything we import*. It is not just cars, but over 50% of our food too, and most of our electronics. If the pound falls (and it would be surprising if a cliff-edge Brexit did not cause a significant drop), then we have a double-whammy with increasing prices and tariffs *and* our absolute value falls with the value of the currency. I'm currently earning ~12% less than my European, American and Asian colleagues that were on exactly the same money last May. So we *might* earn more money in pounds, but once we step outside the country we are worth less.

Companies that deal entirely within the UK will not be affected much except in the loss of spending power as people lose their jobs. Companies that import from/export to the EU will probably be badly affected (and by customs delays not just by tariffs - CHIEF is not up to scratch now, never mind when everything has to be checked), and those that have steps in the manufacturing process on both sides of the Channel most of all - think Airbus who import parts to Broughton where they are assembled into wings and exported back to France, or the car manufacturer whose gear assembly crosses the Channel 5 times during manufacture. Airbus will need a 20% fall in the pound to keep it economical to continue to manufacture in the UK and the car manufacturer much more.

Imagine the effect on local business and house prices around Broughton if 6,000 people are made redundant with no hope of similar work.

The service industries (Technology, Legal, Banking, etc) will also suffer big losses without free movement - I can see ~10-20% of the UK roles in my company going from the UK into the EU (currently that is people that fly out each week) - it is only a relatively small number of roles (100-200), but decently paid and bring a lot of money back into the country and that doesn't count the roles lost due to the slowdown as companies refrain from spending until they know what the future holds.

There are opportunities, but probably not as many as there are consequences.