Who really knows

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by DONKEYDOO, Oct 15, 2019.

1. DON

DONKEYDOO Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am absolutely sick and tired of members of this forum thinking that they have all the inside knowledge from the club and spreading ridiculous unsubstantiated rumours (the truth being that only a privelidge few really know what is happening or happened( does your boss share every financial or board descicion with every body neither does he share his thoughts as to how or what he has spent his or company money with customers (at the end of the day that is what we are to them, yes their customer service skills could be better but it is what it is).We are lucky to be in a situation to be watching football look what is happening over the pennines. Maybe we would be better off enjoying our football in lge 1I certainly enjoyed it more last year I don't care that we don't play the so called big clubs in this lge isn't it better to leave the ground winning on a Saturday and being near the top than getting our arse kicked and loosing week in and week out

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye because there are literally only 2 options either fielding and u13 team in the championship or being like Bury and Bolton. There are no other options or alternatives.

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Good little rant
    if I could just pick up on a couple of points
    We are not customers - if I was just a customer I wouldnt go when we are playing badly but just go and watch another team who were doing well.
    so my main TV is a Sony but when I bought a smaller screen for the kitchen Samsung had a more suitable model so I bought that. I dont care what is going on at either company or who manages the develpment or production sections - ie I am a customer
    I am invested emotianally and interested in Barnsley FC and have been for over 50 years - because of that I have much more interest in the workings of the club - who the manager is which players we sell and sign etc and actually care if a club employee - player or manager in particular leaves the club. Thats why I like to know the thinking behind the policies the club is following
    regarding enjoying football in League 1 - the last season and a half we spent in League 1 have been very enjoyable - but we had some very enjoyable seasons in the current league in the past. We also had some fairly dire times in League 1 ( and league 2 though it wasnt called that then) - absolutely no guarantee that if we go down again we wont have a season of struggle and lose week in and out

4. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You ought to try reading it all again then because so far as I can see the predominant feeling is that there is no information available - not that anybody has any 'inside knowledge' as to what is happening.

5. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I agree with you to a point...people are rabbiting on suggesting this and that when they have no real information. However, on the other hand, it's precisely because people have no information that they are doing the rabbiting in the first place. If the club released some information and explained their point of view then fans would have something concrete to discuss. And, as Jimmy says, it's not just about playing young teams in the championship or being more entertaining in L1 - there are some fundamental things about the club's processes and intent that people are concerned about. So yes, people are moaning, some are probably talking ******** like me, and many are making wild speculations. The club though isn't being transparent and it's making people worried.

6. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ..... the secret of the Black Magic box ?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  7. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I feel the same way ..... about Tim Taylor’s Landlord , I’ve been drinking it for 30+ years , it’s had its ups and downs over the years , the move to mass production and poor cellaring made the product poor but occasionally you’ll get a decent pint , the poor pints haven’t stopped me from drinking it . Leaving it to settle for a reasonable time before serving it and getting it mid barrel definitely improves the tasting experience ......just thought I’d share that with you

55&counting likes this.
  8. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't know anything. But with the absence of true information from the club people start to make up the news. People fill-in gaps with their own versions. The problem amplifies as people share their versions and fit it with other variants. In parallel the club is a leaky bucket and again this will get worse as it becomes the only source for people to 'rely' on. Even no news becomes a story and conspiracy theorists dream.

The alternative of course if for the club to communicate more frequently and with more relevant content to the fans and its community. To steer the discussions based on facts and bring the fans and club closer to common topics and reality.

Hykehamtyke likes this.
  9. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I see where you are at Durks.. if the owner of my local separated from Timothy Taylor’s I’d be highly pissed off. However, I’ve no choice but to go there cos it’s miles to the next pub. I’d have to take whatever else he brought in. Reckon I’d get barred if I asked him to show me his accounts to prove he needed to get rid of it.

Durkar Red likes this.
  10. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You’ll appreciate BR that even in a well run cellar the quality of the product will fluctuate , if you only drank it when it was at its peak , it would soon disappear from the bar leaving the prospect of lager shandy and a bag of pork scratching as the only alternative.... or Pennine !!

11. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Thank god I live in area where there are numerous local tap rooms. Though if all of these brewpubs, taprooms and craft pubs all went to pot together... my fridge would still provide to be a constant competitor.

12. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Better get thi a bucket and a pillow then..... Lol

13. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    You poor lad

icer likes this.
  14. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Agree and that is the problem with football nowadays. In short the clue is in the name ….' Barnsley Football CLUB'. Just like all the other FC teams in existence. The problem arises from the suffix i.e. 'Ltd'.
    As we all know, football, like many sports, has become big business and therefore is exploited by media e.g. SKY and many other organisations and businesses (e.g. agents) including the 'regulatory bodies' i.e. FA, FL, AFC, CONMEBOL, EUFA, FIFA ,PFA etc. who see it as a 'gravy train' and cream off huge sums of money, draw huge salaries at the expense of we the fans who pay for it all in some form or another.
    The analogy you make is a good one but the difference is even greater since, apart from marketing costs, a customer is paying for the R&D and the resulting product without all the additional cr*p that has caused the hyper inflation of ticket prices to watch 22 blokes kicking a ball around.

15. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Nudger’s stolen all your punctuation mate.

DannyWilsonLovechild likes this.
  16. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I disagree.
    We are not owners/share-holders/directors of the club - like it or not we are customers.

But many of us over the years have become emotionally attached to the club - indeed we are encouraged by the club to do this - we talk of 'Our club - our blood - our team' etc.
    We are encouraged to wear the club shirt showing our allegiance. We may spend a lot of time and money following the club home and away.
    We support the players - follow their progress at other clubs etc/
    We are a very loyal group of supporters.
    And over the years the club has become part of our identity.

However this does not give us automatic rights to know everything about how the club is managed/run. We don't have an automatic right to see Balance Sheets or know about the financial dealing of the owners etc.
    In fact, as we have recently found out the Club doesn't have to tell us anything or give reasons for decisions made.

The club has made a massive mistake because clearly the owners has not understood the strong bond that exists (existed??) between the supporters and the club.
    Break that bond and the owners are in trouble. c.f. the Venkys, Oystons etc.

The onus is on the Club to repair the damage done - to keep the customers happy!