Winnall....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by KamikazeCo-Pilot, Jan 12, 2017.

1. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Just a thought based on what everyone has been saying and my own views on the player....

A) He's not as good as some people on here seem to think he is and therefore his leaving is not that great a loss in my opinion. I'm not saying he isn't any good at all - he's a decent player, but I think he is overrated both as an out and out striker and as an outfield player. In spite of the goals he has scored he continually misses loads of chances (as one poster has already suggested) and he has had loads of chances created for him as well. He's lucky to have been playing at Barnsley in this last 18 months when the team have been attack-oriented. In spite of his sometimes poor performances (which there have been) he has scored lots because he has had LOADS of chances to do so. He is not in the same league as Ashley Ward and Georgi Hristov et al when it comes to being a top notch striker. People with longer memories should remember what really good strikers are like.

B) The club have at least got 'some' money for him. Not at all great, perhaps depressing, but there would be nothing in the summer. The alternative would have been to keep him, unhappy, at the club, possibly on the bench while waiting for his contract to run out.

C) Selling him to Wednesday is just business. Just because he's gone to Wednesday is not really important in the big scheme of things. Just because they are our local rivals is not important either. We shouldn't get over-emotional about the fact that he's gone there. Let them have him and, hopefully, let them fail with him. I think they will, partly because of my first point. Wednesday were prepared to offer £500000 if I'm correct and they got him. Bad luck to them.

D) I might of course be wrong as I'm just spouting opinion as we all do but I don't think he'll progress from now on. He's already 26 (I think) and he will not get any quicker, he will have less game time to impress at Wednesday and he will have to fit in with their style of football. Again, referring to my first point I don't think he's good enough to adapt quickly, and if he doesn't score enough at Hillsborough he'll be demoted. He was a biggish fish in the Barnsley pond but he'll be a minnow in the eyes of the Wednesday fans and they'll be moaning about him in 6 months I think.

Winnall has done his job and he's helped us, but he's not the bee's knees and we can move on from him successfully. He's one page in the chapter. He's not the book.

2. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    By far and away the best strike w shad this season. The others can't lace his boots.
    Folk seem to want to pull a player to bits if he leaves.

3. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    The book is being thrown out of the window with the probable sale of Hourihane tomorrow.

4. KamikazeCo-Pilot

KamikazeCo-Pilot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I would much rather keep Hourihane than Winnall....

5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    1.Kevin Philips wasn't fast but he knew where the net was
    2.500k is a joke if true no matter how you dress it up

6. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is a more than reasonable assessment of Winnall.

Isn't it amazing how many are now posting that he isn't/wasn't that wonderful after all?

When Whitey was polishing Winnall's balls week after week despite my own eyes telling me they sometimes deserved a kicking (and posting as such), i wonder where everyone else was.

I should have kept a list of those who remained similarly unimpressed.

Bizarrely, he's been much better this season - seems to benefit from an injury free run of games.

Anyway he's a great finisher - of about a third of his chances.