winter skiing/snowboarding hols

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Guest, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Gue

Guest Guest

sorry to post this but me and my mate are on about going and was wondering if anyone knew of some decent resorts in europe for for skiing or snowboarding

2. Gue

Guest Guest

Trysil in Norway

3. Gue

Guest Guest

you saying that cos you live there?

4. Gue

Guest Guest

Nope

Saying it because it's true. My mate always comes here for a week and loves Tysil. He also been to the majority of ski resorts in Europe. But he thinks the snow is much better here!

5. Gue

Guest Guest

cheers

much appreciated

6. Rev

Revvie P Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    There's so many it's hard to offer an opinion.

Depends what your priorities are. I'm guessing from this you've not been before.

If you want somewhere cheap and good for beginners, I would look at Andorra. However, don't expect picturesque mountain villages. The towns of Soldeu, Pas de la Casa and Arinsal are very much functional rather than beautiful and situated on the main (and therefore busy) route from France to Spain. The nightlife is rather aimed at the younger end of the market - there's a bit of a Club 18-30 atmosphere (albeit thankfully on a small scale as the resorts aren't so big), although nice, quiet bars and restaurants are available if that's not your thing.

The Ski and Snowboard school is, however, very highly reputed and there are miles of easy pistes to pick up the techniques without coming a cropper. Plus, if you decide it's not for you, you won't have spent a fortune.

The other thing I would say is, unless you're on a very tight budget and see a good buy now, wait until closer to the time and check out the snow reports on the web to make sure you don't end up in a resort with too little snow.

7. Gue

Guest Guest

cheers fella

budget isn't a problem and as a 28 yr old the 18-30 thing may be ok for me. cheers for the post mate (Y)

8. Rev

Style:
    Barnsley
    Another tip

Invest in a few trips and lessons at X-Scape or the dry slope at Sheffield.
    You'll learn the basics and more importantly, you'll get your fitness levels up. If you go "cold", by day 3 or 4 you will be in pain from muscles you didn't know existed, yet cannot stand up without.

Skiing for a week is physically punishing and boarding is even worse. If you get into training for it, you'll enjoy it a lot more whilst you're there.

9. imp

imported_Gally New Member

Home Page:
    Livigno, Italy

I've been to Livigno a couple of times and its one of my favourite ski resorts. Its a duty free resort so your money goes much further than many other resorts in Europe. The skiing and ski school are excellent for beginers and intermediates. Its probably a bit limited for keen advanced skiers. There are lots of good bars and a few clubs. Plenty of excellent restaurants as well and they're really good value.  </p>

You'll find lots of other activities to do in the resort as well - Skidooing on the frozen lake on an evening is pretty cool.</p>

10. imp

Home Page:
    Oh yeah

And Revie P's advice to go to X-scape for some lessons will definitely increase your enjoyment when you get to resort. I'm not a big fan of dry ski slopes though and personally would get lessons at x-scape in Castleford.</p>

11. Spa

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Barnsley, England, United Kingdom, 103126909727190
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    so many

Depends on lots of things</p>

Budget amongst others, snow cover being the most important!</p>

If you can wait till the last minute to go then just keep up to date with the snow reports and go with the snow. Its much better even to pay extra if you know the snow is going to be good.</p>

Andorra is a good budget choice for the beginner and has a good snow record.</p>

Livigno in italy is also a cheap, good place to learn again with good snow cover but unlike Andorra tends to be very cold. Also in Italy, Cervinia is also good value. Snowsure and under the shaddow of the Matterhorn it is a fine place to ski.</p>

Cheap deals are also to had going to Banff / Lake Louise (Canada) in mid winter and offers very good value for money and fantastic scenery. The ski tuition is 2nd to none. The only draw back is the likelyhood of very low temperatures and long (but free) bus trips to the slopes.</p>

For France 3 valleys (Val Thorens, Meribel and Courchevel) or Espace Killy (Tignes / Val D'Isere) has some of the best, most extensive, snow sure slopes in the alps but the downside is tits not very cheap.</p>

Avoid Austria if you are just beggining.</p>

I could go on and on</p>

Look here for furher info..</p>

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/default.asp</p>

http://www.snow-forecast.com/</p>

http://www.ifyouski.com/</p>

As Revvie P states if you are just beginning then taking lessons at xscape will pay great dividends.</p>

Oh and snowboarders...gays on trays.</p>

12. Rev

Style:
    Barnsley
    Agreed

Far more picturesque than the Pyrenees resorts (also duty free btw).

Found there was a lot of lugging skis about as when I went, albeit some years ago, due to lack of on-piste locker facilities. But other than that, excellent. If you go up in the number 3 cable car, then take the number 6 chairlift right up to the very top of the mountain, there is an dead easy but breakneck-quick run from top right back down to the bottom station of the cable car. That remains my favourite run of anywhere I've been.

13. imp

Home Page:
  14. Rev

Style:
    Barnsley
    RE: so many

I've been going to the wrong resorts. Where are the cheap tits?

15. Spa

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Barnsley, England, United Kingdom, 103126909727190
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    surprised it took so long

was tempted to edit but thought what the hell.</p>

BTW tits is likely abart reight for Val D'Isere.</p>

16. Gue

Guest Guest

aye - xscape is near me so will defo be investing!

17. Gue

Guest Guest

brill!!! cheers loads for that long post

(Y)