Womens' US Open Final

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Sep 9, 2018.

1. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Anyone else find Serena's antics totally distasteful? I'm not sure if she has a point about treatment of men in tennis v women, but unless I'm mistaken, she was playing a woman? As it was, Naomi Osaka (age 20) totally blew her away, but SW's histrionics did a lot to detract from what must have been the highlight of Osaka's career, if not her life. There is a young woman who looks to have a huge future in the game. My view is that Serena's rage was brought on when she realised that she had no answer. Sad she couldn't have equalled Margaret Court's record, but hey - that's sport. And no excuse for what followed in the second set.

2. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The thread BBC have your say is on this subject. I posted on that and agree with you she went into meltdown, a 2nd final in a row getting away from her in front of her home crowd and she lost control. Now that's fine and perfectly understandable, but the crys of sexism afterwards seem like a cover to me.

3. BarTyke

BarTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed.

Fantastic player but an attention seeking drama queen who stamped her foot and had a tantrum when things were not going her way and then tried to put the totally justified sanctions down to sexism.

Felt sorry for Osaka who was superb.

Xerxes, Hooky feller and Kettlewell like this.
  4. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the point is a man wouldn't be treated like she was. No umpire would dare to take a game off Federer, Nadal or Djokovic. Male players get away with way more such as Nadal how long he takes between points that should lead to permanent time violations. Novak has had many a court meltdown and never had a game to be dared to be taken off him. She gets drug tested by far the most often of anybody on the tour and ticking the black and female boxes you can see why she gets grumpy about it.

5. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    http://larrybrownsports.com/tennis/...istory-code-violations-serena-williams/463180

The above article addresses where he has previously penalised top male players, so it doesn't really hold water. Moreover, no sportsperson should ever be able to accuse an official of cheating with impunity. Tennis seems to have a real problem with respecting officials.

BarTyke and Redstone like this.
  6. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Not even sure what argument she is making? Men get to act like ***** and i want to as well? No saying that's true either but seems to be the point she is making.

7. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  8. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The drug testing in tennis is a joke, she's done more roids than Arnie.

Xerxes and BarTyke like this.
  9. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Her coach admitted to coaching from the sidelines but offered the excuse all coaches do it. Me thinks she owes the umpire an apology for calling him a liar. She's also questioning her coach on his statement. She may have a point regarding different treatment to the men. But I'm sure some of the lower seeded players feel they get treated worse than the top seeds. Stop using the I'm fighting for women's rights cos it suits. Want same prize money as men but never heard her say. We should play the same amount of sets as men. Women in work deserve the same equality in pay doing same job as men.

BarTyke likes this.
  10. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Her complaints about drug testing are laughable.

Firstly athletes who return suspicious blood values get tested more often than others, if you’ve got any brain cells you keep your gob shut if you’re getting tested a lot.

Also she came up with a terrible excuse about been scared & going in her panic room when the drug testers came round so as far as I’m concerned there’s a good chance she’s got something to hide.

Tennis players rarely get tested & when they do it tends to be urine only which barely picks up anything. Compare her to Chris Froome, Geraint Thomas or Simon Yates, I’d be surprised if she’s been tested a fifth of the times any of them have this year.

And she’s not a nice person, she’s got a track record of insulting officials. She cheated & deserved her punishment & is just a sore loser.

11. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    At the top of the game I think she has a point about the prize money, its irrelevant about the number of sets played, the top women players still sell out the stadium and I think the ticket prices aren't any different

12. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Get your point, but prize money comes from all types of different sources. Mainly tv revenue. Think you’ll find that the tv audience for the men’s games far outweigh the women’s. thus attracting larger advertising fees.

13. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personally I'm appalled that the WTA have backed her over the umpire. To everybody on the planet its clear she was in the wrong but because she is a big name, a star, and a money making machine for the WTA they have backed her ridiculous claims of sexism despite the evidence contrary to her claim.

The umpire should sue the **** out of her for slander

Django, Xerxes and Redstone like this.