Wonderful John Hendrie interview here

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by PARIS Tyke, Oct 13, 2017.

1. PAR

PARIS Tyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dodgy Back Tyke, Connor and TonyTyke like this.
  2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Enjoyed that. Great player. Awful manager.

3. Sparky

Sparky Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wonderful memories.

4. churtonred

churtonred Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought he made the difference for us that season. He never wasted the ball. We were always in a better position after he'd been given the ball....or he'd just scored. Class act.
    Much as I bang on about how I support us buying players from lower leagues if we could get someone here like Hendrie I'd snap them up. Unfortunately players like that these days are like hens teeth. A player with his pedigree at a Premiership club today would be a multi millionaire and wouldn't need to extend his career.

5. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post. I think we got three of that calibre in, all offered slightly different ways of keeping the ball etc - Hendrie, Wilkinson and Thompson. Three wiley old pros, who certainly didn't come to us for a last and easy pay day.

Connor likes this.
  6. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed. Like most of us who remembered Wilkinson's antics against us I didn't want him at Oakwell but what a pairing he and Hendrie made - resurrecting their glory days at Boro for one last hurrah with us. Neil Thompson was a class act as well.

These sort of players probably don't exist any more - willing to step down a division just to PLAY FOOTBALL. Too much greed in the game now.

Kettlewell, Connor and Metatarsal like this.
  7. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brilliant watch. Gave us some great memories did Super John. I was at Old Trafford the day
    Scholes came behind the goal counting the goals up on his fingers which made me dislike him
    from that day forward.
    I realised that City fans shared my distaste when we lost 5-1 to City at Maine Road, the year they were
    promoted and we were relegated. Think it was 2002 if I remember correctly with Bruce Dyer getting our goal.

I was on corporate hospitality when over lunch, someone came on the tannoy and said " I have some good news
    and some bad news regarding United's away game. The good news, is that Scholes has been carried off on a stretcher.
    The bad news is that it's not serious."! The entire room started clapping and cheering.
    Of course as John said, revenge was sweet, when we knocked them out of the Cup at Oakwell after we'd been denied the penalty at Old Trafford in the first tie. It would be great to see those memories repeated at Oakwell in the future. Truly great days.

Kettlewell and Connor like this.
  8. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The cynic in me says that he might well have done similar interviews at Bradford, Leeds and Middlesbrough but you can't help but like the guy. He didn't have to come "down" to us but you could see that he came for the right reasons and it was a mutually beneficial arrangement.

I suppose you could say that his major achievement as a manager was persuading Craig Hignett to sign from Aberdeen. An incredible coup when you think about it.