Worst most frightening time at the footy?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by the stig, May 1, 2009.

1. the

the stig New Member

Home Page:
  2. springvale red

springvale red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    birmingham away in play offs, or sat in home end at millwall

3. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
  4. Gue

Guest Guest

New Den 93/94 season

Mayhem.

5. springvale red

springvale red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    RE: Leeds away 1990

i were there when david johnson scored in last minute, leeds fans were climbing fencing to get at us, stewards were hitting them with sticks to get them back

6. Tyk

Tyketanic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    RE: Leeds away 1990

Seconded, I was eight at the time and we were the only team to beat them at home that season, doing the double. They really weren't happy were they!? Even better as I went to school with loads of Leeds fans.

I remember being coralled before they let us out for what seemed like ages, with bricks coming over the top.

:D

7. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Also

Can't remember when it was, but a home game where they attacked the old disabled stand at the kop end. They were throwing bricks at the full glass windows at the front. The poor people inside must have been petrified.

8. East_Hull_Red

East_Hull_Red Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Enfield away 1981

at White Hart Lane. Only 15 at the time and got chased around half of North London after the game. Never been so happy to get back on a coach.

9. wad

waddy10 New Member

Home Page:
    RE: Enfield away 1981

main road after Clint had notched in 94th minute, very scary times

10. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Holland v England 1993 - World Cup Qualifier away at Rotterdam. Lost 2 - 0.

Spent daytime enjoying the delights of Amsterdam as well as avoiding being jumped for our tickets by the hundreds of ticketless thugs roaming the streets.

Kept behind after the match for an 2 hours, while our fans ripped up seats and set them alight.

11. Gimson&theBarnsleys

Gimson&theBarnsleys Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bradford City mid 70's - they were ripping up the stand and lobbing bits at us - as usual the coppers did **** all as in their eyes we we all football hooligans and deserved it.

Also, in a different manner down that ginnel at Rotherham in the 80's - could easily have been a Hillsborough - again feckin cops keeping us penned in having no respect for football fans. (wnkr) (wnkr) (wnkr)

12. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    RE: Also

I remember that too; it must have been mid to late 80's. Nut jobs.

13. dyketyke

dyketyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The Den ~ early 70's

Millwall fans right next to us, fortunately behind railings. Wearing surgical masks. Stared at us all game - and hissed. Spooky.

14. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That picture is in the Leeds Service Crew book..

attacking a disabled stand FFS???

15. *Windy

*Windy Banned Idiot

Home Page:
    I'm too spacially unaware to get scared.

</p>

Remember walking away from Oakwell with my mate and it went off with the Blades right in front of us. Lots of boys flailing their arms and legs about. One of them got a bit confused in his hysteria and ran windmilling at us, straight into a right cross. He was tougher than he looked, didn't go to sleep but he looked proper funny knelt there with his fists up and his eyes going round in cirlces.</p>

16. neu

neutrino New Member

Home Page:
    I thought I was going to die after the 4-0 at Birmingham.

Cardiff away in our first season after promotion from League One wasn't nice, either.

17. Bluebird

Bluebird Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Too many of them tbh - don't know how I stuck with it :D

Easter Monday 1984, West Ham away. Pulled up on our bus in the East End only to be surrounded by cheeky chappie cockneys with machetes. Every window put through and then had to get to the ground through their massed ranks.

When we got in there it was no easier - walking through the "chicken run" & with no segregation in the ground. Scrapping all game, you had to to survive - & there were 1500 of us so it tells you all you need to know about West Ham at that time. Anyway, just as it's dying down what do we do - yep, score in the 84th minute . Cheers Ray Bishop, i'll never forgive you for that. Cue mayhem again.

Newcastle away early 80's again. We left at midnight and arrived in Newcastle at 9am. Headed straight to a cafe for breakfast. Within 15 minutes we were being attacked with pool balls & cues - I didn't get to eat my sausage ffs :D . In the ground it was no better (it was around the time they petrol-bombed West Ham fans) & we knew they were in amongst us.

Game finishes & we head out of the ground. "Don't turn around" my mate says to me "there's a guy with a knife at your back". So I turn around :D only to see this copper flying through the air (literally off his feet) rugby-tackling this blade-carrying Toon - in denim dungarees!!! It was like a scene from "The Warriors".

Got back to the coach park to find it surrounded & when we got back on the bus ther was a reception committee of 10 on there waiting for us. Here we go again....

And it's a long way from Newcastle with windows missing again.

1977. Wales v Scotland at Anfield. Had to play our home game at least 200 miles away because of trouble at the Euro 1/4 final against Yugoslavia. Anyway, those ever so efficient people at the FAW (based in Wrexham at that time) were in charge of the ticket sales & the Jocks were bringing special trains & coaches down to snap them up. You couldn't get a ticket for love nor money down South & the North Walians were only too keen to tout them on to the Jocks. What should have been our home game ended up with us having about 3-4000 in the corner of the Kop. The rest of the ground (and city of Liverpool) was packed out with Sweaties.

When they scored they thought it would be good fun to hurl whiskey bottles at us. When they were returned the jocks went ballistic. The "Tartan Army" in those days were certainly not the jovial skirt-wearing bunch they are today. As a Welshman, it gave you a sense of Rourkes Drift that day I can tell you. My mate who organised the bus (a former City director) returned to it with stitches where a bottle had embedded itslf in his forehead. Nice.

Loads and loads more but won't bore you any more. Usual suspects like Chelsea, Millwall etc, but also unexpected ones like Chesterfield, Bristol Rovers & being attacked with scaffold tubes in Shrewsbury!

It was sheer hard work being a football fan in those days & thankfully they're largely in the dim & distant past.

18. rag

raggylad New Member

Home Page:
    RE: The Den ~ early 70's

went to the den first game of season must have been mid 80s gear box went on coach crawled in first gear for about 5 miles then packed up altogether had to walk last mile pretty scarey. after game coppers put us down a side street and left us saying wait there another coach is on its way found out the coach was not going to be there till 11, sat about for an hour then went up to the pubs on the high street got steaming and had a great night in the irish bars.

19. tar

tarnchick New Member

Birmingham away in the playoffs was frightening. I remember glass being thrown from above where the away fans exited from by Birmingham fans. Bricks were pelted at at the official coaches as we were leaving the ground.

20. Cud

CudTyke New Member

Man City away FA Cup (Lost 0-2 david white game)

aged 14 - WOW!