Would this surprise anyone?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by orsenkaht, Sep 28, 2017.

1. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This will not be popular, and I'm not saying it is going to happen, but..............

Mr Chansiri's dream of Premier League football for the S6 mob by 2017-18 looks in tatters today. His team is way short of top six potential. His £37.5M investment looks worth little more than what he paid, if not less. There is a club there which had average gates last year of 26,000+.

Now - if you are Mr Lee, Mr Conway and Mr Beane, would you spend £20M on our club, or £37.5M or possibly less on Sheffield Wednesday? Their current team lends itself to total replacement, and 15 miles down the road you have already met the head coach to achieve it - just with much bigger resources than he has had to work with for the last 18 months.

As the weeks tick by and no further progress is announced, you just wonder if the investors have had a look around South Yorkshire and thought hang on, there is an even better bet here.

2. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  3. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The massives fans would feel it below them for this type of recruitment of players nor would never have the patience to await the potential of unknown players from lower and non-leagues coming to fruition.

4. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They don't seem over the moon with what they've got!

5. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It would surprise me, not many owners will want to take that wage bill on. There's not many sellable assets either.

Hooper, Fletcher, Wallace, Rhodes etc, no ones paying good money to take them off your hands & you're paying them huge wages for at least a couple more years.

Winnall went there on 18k a week which seems huge money for the championship yet Forestieri, Fletcher, Rhodes & Hooper are all on a lot more.

Outside of teams receiving parachute payments no club could carry that wage bill & expect to make anything close to a profit for a long time

6. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's just it though. They believed they had got what it takes to make it immediately with the backing of Chansiri (sp) and now they're in melt-down so the model that's on offer from our reported prospective new owners is beneath them.

7. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Chansiri's money has ran out, lets get this straight here - it's his dads money and they aren't billionaires the Chansiri family. He's given his lad a bit of pocket money to spend and he's gone absolutely crackers with it, bang average players on 20k plus a week. He's now struggling to be within FFP rules, hence the high ticket prices and ridiculous multi-season season tickets. He had to get them to the promised land within a few years due to the ridiculous sums spent and it's not going to happen, they'll be in more debt than when he started.

Don't worry about Mr Lee, he's sat on Momento's decking with a peroni.

Getrammellon and Red Adair like this.
  8. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You might as well just say would it surprise anyone if Chien Lee bought any club in Europe?

9. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Different mindset between Barnsley and Wendy fans.
    Wendy fans think they are a Premeirship club and are in a false position. Barnsley fans generally don't think like that.

The positive of this is for Wendy is that many people from other towns such as Barnsley watch Wendy in the belief that they are watching something bigger and better.
    Wendy fans see clubs like Liverpool in the Premeirship as their rivals - not clubs like Barnsley.

The negative of this for Wendy is that this high expectancy can put enormous pressure on the owners, management and players - which results in regular house of cards scenarios.

10. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I will be even more surprised if our alleged take over is real TBH.

11. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Totally agree forestiari alone is on 40k doubt Mr lee or anyone else would want to take that wage bill on. And does Mr chansiri want to sell and just give up. Plus Wednesday play in blue red is a lucky colour in China. Hence why he tried to but boro and Brentford before and the Chinese bloke at Cardiff tried to change their home kit to red.

Django likes this.
  12. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  13. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The wage bill is simply a bargaining chip if Mr Lee et al were to become interested. Knock down price, fire sale in January and start again. With potential for 35-40,000 crowds in the Prem (with ground improvements). Understand I'm not doing our own club down here - I'm simply looking at value, and price v probability. I know what I'd do if I were them (and I wasn't a Barnsley supporter, obviously).

14. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Wednesday don't fit anywhere near the criteria of the Nice FC owners imo

15. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Everything I've read or heard seems to indicate they like Barnsley because we are a club who are run well, with no big debts or inflated wage bills.

The opposite of Wednesday (and 75% of this league)

Metatarsal likes this.
  16. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aren't the debts just what is owed to Mr Chansiri? They could ditch the high earners, but could afford to see their contracts out even if they don't. And if we sold every seat out for every game, it would still be 3,000 shy of their average crowd last season, let alone their capacity if they were actually doing well. I don't want to believe it either, but if I were dispassionate I know where I'd invest my money if I were them!

17. Gordon Owen

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do you realise how much it would cost them? For example Winnalls contract has £2.3million pounds of wages left on it and he's not the highest paid player, there's 10 in front of him. £2-3 million worth of contract for the majority of the squad and then the rest of the package. Now, Chien Lee wouldn't buy Hull City because they didn't own their ground and it was going to cost a fair whack to buy it off the council. This was tweeted by his broker Alex Jarvis. He wouldn't entertain an expensive gamble by that lot down the road. Just because Huddersfield Red tweeted a bizarre post about a takeover on Thursday don't go thinking it's off because it's not happened. I'm nailing Cameron Diaz on setdi, int bum hole.

Extremely Northern likes this.
  18. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can see SWFC going tits up if they dont go up this season. Chansiri will get bored and decide not to put any more cash in and then they will all be panicking and wanting someone else to buy the club.

19. Tarntyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well I don't watch Wednesday in belief they are a better. They are a bigger club that goes without saying, but better, no. They may get the better of us in games particularly at Hillsbro' but I never believe they are a better club than us. Don't you believe they see us anything other than rivals, hence their large followings at Oakwell. Obviously Blunts are their fiercest rivals and we don't begin to compare in that sense, but they do see us as rivals.

20. orsenkaht

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As likely as that then?