You will all hate this

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by fatalbert, Oct 9, 2019.

1. fat

fatalbert Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    but was Danny a one trick (Pressing on) pony?

"You must see where the ball is likely to go, then react immediately to press the opponent or intercept any pass. When we lose the ball, we want to win it back immediately, which is when this tactic is so good and works so effectively.”

But, with hindsight, what if this is too much for our squad to comprehend and or cope or have the skills to do this?

Maybe, just maybe and I hate to say this, but we may be better with a more conventional (possibly boring to watch Manager) as we do need some points.

2. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It’s a point of view , but they knew his style when they brought him here, they should have allowed him the tools to go forward.

Redhelen likes this.
  3. fat

fatalbert Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Totally agree my friend, but they didn't.

4. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If it's your point of view, fine. You're entitled to have & air it. There's certainly a few on here who will agree it.
    I don't.

TonyTyke, Farnham_Red, Orared and 7 others like this.
  5. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Make absolutely no difference who takes over either from within or from outside the club. Cos the same players will be turning out on a satdi afternoon.. Everyone and their mother knows where the problems lie

6. fit

fitzytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You have to look at it over the two seasons.

Last season it worked for the most part because we had young, fit players, and the opposition wasn't great.

This season we have young, fit players but the opposition is both more clever and able.

I don't think it's a case that Stendel didn't know any other way, more a case that the players aren't good enough to play any other way.

The press has helped us to plenty of possession, but beyond that were struggling at either end.

I think if we played a different style we'd lose anyway. At least this way looks like we're trying hard for the most part.

7. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hard one to answer really.

His Plan A worked superbly in league one until Moore’s head injury but we then had to adapt, the way we ground out results Feb - May wasn’t with the same kind of high press, attack minded football we’d seen earlier in the season so he adapted in league one but obviously the championships a much tougher league.

He didn’t really get the chance to adapt in the championship. People have talked about going 3 at the back or an extra holding midfielder but Dougall’s been injured, McGeehan’s missed about half the games, Diaby’s missed about half the games. We simply didn’t have the numbers to have extra players at centre back or central midfield.

I think ultimately regardless of system the squad isn’t good enough right now. We’ve got 8 defenders & I don’t think one would start a game for any other championship side & I think that’s the truth.

If you put men behind the ball & soak up pressure are these lads really good enough to play with that level of discipline for 90 minutes? It’s hard to imagine.

We can’t go long, we can’t pass through teams, I don’t think we can sit deep & play on the counter, the press hasn’t worked. The only thing that will work for us is these young lads playing games together & gelling. I’ve kept saying it & I stand by it I don’t think there’s any quick fix out there.

I hope I’m proved wrong but I think it’ll take a miracle & one hell of a January transfer window to keep us up. Need to pluck another McBurnie from somewhere.

8. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Don’t agree
    In quite a few games this season if we had taken our chances we would have won comfortably. It doesn’t matter what system you play if you can’t convert you don’t win. Had we gone for a negative park the bus option we might have got an extra 0-0 but do you really think the team has the players to play that style. I don’t.
    Also I don’t want to watch football where we play for a draw and hope to nick a goal somehow
    Our fundamental problems were not replacing Moore and lack of experience. To which we can now add almost certainly replacing the manager with an inferior option as well

Redhelen likes this.
  9. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When we had Mowatt and McGeehan injured and a midfield two of Sibbick and Bahre there were only one group of people to blame - the incompetents in charge of assembling the squad

Django and Chef Tyke like this.