Zeki Fryers, Now we're getting somewhere

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Hemsworth Tyke, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thats complete twaddle btw.

2. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    explain

3. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Why?

4. Terry Nutkins

Terry Nutkins Well-Known Member

Music Producer/DJ/Promoter and Owner of Hush Hush
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Either what you have written doesn't make sense or you are suggesting that prior to Academies being developed that youth teams used to train 2 days a week.

5. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I really couldn't fault the first five signings, they fit our modus operandi perfectly of gifted young players outstanding at their current level ripe for development and with the all the tools to keep moving forward.

The inside track on this lad is a bit different though and those who've seen him seem to indicate that he can't defend for toffee. I, like most on here, am agnostic as I've never seen him play in the flesh and I'll give him a clean slate to judge only by his performances in a red shirt from August 5 onwards.

Personally, I hope he turns out to be the second coming of Roberto Carlos, however, it's surely not a crime to point out that his provenance to date seems more Reece Wabara than Ray Wilson?

6. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    You mean the third Roberto Carlos, after Dominik Werling? ;)

Exile likes this.
  7. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Opinions are rightly divided on the new signings we've made thus far. Personally my view is that we know
    the task in hand and admittedly at first glance it looks extremely daunting.

Remember these are young lads some of whom have not yet put down "roots" in their short careers.

When trying to understand their mindset I often think back to what it was like when I first started working.
    My Dad was a Civil Servant so it made sense to follow his lead. Only problem you can be posted anywhere.
    My first appointment was in London. Eighteen years old in a big cold and impersonal City with just enough money
    to pay my rent eat travel to and from daily and save towards a ticket home every three months.
    To say I got depressed was an understatement and I moved back home after twelve months.

OK these lads are earning the brass but like anyone else they are human and will take time to adjust to the training,
    diet and the step up in class on the field so we've got to be fair minded and give them a chance to settle
    into their new surroundings.

Been looking at the lad Fryers very closely in particular because he seems to have attracted some adverse comment.
    He was out of action with a serious injury for most of the 2010-11 season and was then farmed out to Belgium
    to play for Standard Liege ( age 19). Didn't settle so he moved to Spurs. After one season Warnock took him to
    Palace for a £3 million fee ( he was now age 21). Reputedly he was earning £18k per week. I would say that you don't earn
    that and you are not given a 3 year contract unless you haven't got the basics.?

Warnock then at QPR (2015) recommended to his pals at Rotherham ( when Neil Redfearn was Manager)
    that they take Fryers on loan which they did initially for one month and he ended up playing a few games for them. He then played for Ipswich for three games before going back to Palace.

He's now 24 and has a three year contract with us. He's got family in Manchester so
    its not beyond the realms that he could commute from "home" every day if he wanted to. Plus in Hecky and Jamie Clapham he comes under the tutelage of two former full backs who have a total of 33 years and 868 professional games between them plus and most importantly he cost us nothing.!

So what I urge is that we welcome him alongside the other players and that we give them our full support.
    It's apparent we've got a couple of others on the radar and so with them added to what we've got
    and any loans from the Premiership that we might bring in I'm hoping that we're in for a half decent season.

Red CB likes this.
  8. Donny Red

Donny Red Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just a point lads/lasses we have 168 contributors on the board and yet this thread has had 6,034 views.!!
    Are we being watched.? Ssssh.! Cue music from the X files.

9. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    5 pages worth of posts, 88 replies, it all adds up.

10. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Academies in the uk are the worst thing to happen to national youth development.

For every player that makes a first team hundreds are chewed up and spat out

Not nicknamed meat grinders for nothing.

Jimmy viz likes this.