£1.2 million p.a.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Voice of Reason, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have not listened to the CEO's recent very lengthy interview, but I gather that he referred to wage demands of a couple of applicants for the Head Coach job at Oakwell from experienced Championship managers. He supposedly said they wanted £1.2 million annual salary to come to Oakwell, which is more than the club is prepared to pay. I am sure that the vast majority of contributors to BBS share my view that, in the grand scheme of things, no football manager/ head coach deserves to be paid in one year an amount equivalent to the total lifetime earnings of the average person in the UK, but in the Championship that amount of money, obscene though some may find it, is probably at the lower end of the "going rate" for managers/head coaches. If the club really wishes to compete in the Championship, it has to be prepared to pay the going rate. Going for cheaper options can prove more costly in the long run.

Brush and benjamoose like this.
  2. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just uninspiring appointments the last 2. Were now sponsored by jewsons where a bag of sand has more life in it then our past 2 head coaches.

Bazza and Voice of Reason like this.
  3. Loko the Tyke

Loko the Tyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m not sure it is at the lower end to be honest. Mark Robins and Narthen Jones won’t be on that kind of money. Not even close. And not will Ferguson at Peterborough or the guy at Blackpool. The bloke who left Plymouth for Preston won’t have jumped to that kind of money either.

It’s ok to say pay the going rate but where does that money come from? Who pays it? If there was a chance of us signing anyone in January, which is looking more remote and ridiculous by the day, then that chance would likely be taken away with a Head Coach salary that big.

Barnsley_Blitz, Bazza and shed131 like this.
  4. ley

leythtyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A good head coach is more important than any players, when you have a budget a low as ours (relative to the league you’re in). If we’d paid someone 1.2m pa, and they’d turned a couple of draws into wins and a couple of defeats into draws then it would be proving well worth the money.

Jamo, Fonzie, SFOTyke and 3 others like this.
  5. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

We coild have gone for the bloke who went to preston he was out of work but we go for the sweedish under 9s coach as he is good at developing kids just what we need in a relegation dog fight. But its okay we gave him a assignment, 40 questions and a long interview before we made our minds up he was the right man for the job.

Voice of Reason and Bazza like this.
  6. kektyke

kektyke Well-Known Member

Warehouse Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ryan Lowe was at Plymouth so wasn't out of work

Tyke The Tree-Frog and GudjonFan like this.
  7. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think the position of Head Coach is probably more important than any individual player. Perhaps the fee the club received for Ismael could have paid for a more expensive appointment than Schopp or Asbaghi. I have absolutely no idea who might have been interested in taking the reins at Oakwell, though, at the time Schopp was appointed, one would have thought that quite a lot of suitable candidates would have been interested, after we had only narrowly missed promotion to the Premier League. Our likely relegation is going to be more expensive than the appointment of a more experienced Head Coach. At the time Asbaghi was appointed, someone such as Warnock may have been interested in a short-term appointment for the kind of salary quoted. Perhaps half of it could have been in the form of a staying- up bonus. The club would then have been paying £50k per month for 5 months, if we are relegated, with an extra £250k, if we stay up. This total amount, £500k, would surely then be worth it. An experienced manager with confidence in his ability may well have been prepared to defer half of his salary until Championship safety is achieved.

8. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He handed in his notice at Plymouth because he knew Preston was coming. I’m not sure you can claim he was out of work. And let’s wait and see before we say that he’s have done much better.

Why insult him by saying Swedish U9’s coach? I struggle with conversations on this that result in insulting someone like this. What do you class as being a success in your line of work? Because I bet it’s the equivalent of managing your country one level below the national team or winning a domestic trophy.

It looked, or appeared, like we went for Schopp and only Schoop. That felt wrong. So we can’t be critical if there was then a thorough and proper recruitment process and Poya got the job. We can’t criticise both processes otherwise what’s the answer?

Tomi likes this.
  9. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Depends how you look at it. We don't have a manager in our plan we have a head coach as we all know so the role is fairly narrow. Therefore I could agree the 1.2m is high. But if we value the position enough that a good manager / head coach will develop players as saleable assets, keep us in the division, maybe run in a cup or two and dare I say promotion, attract better players, attract sponsorship and TV coverage then the value becomes an investment. The return therefore may warrant 1.2M. Bonus's could also be an attractive option. Thing is I don't think we think 'value', we think 'cost' which in turn may also reduce the potential ROI. for the owners relegation is a slight setback in their business model. For us it is a disaster, emotionally draining and heartbreaking. Well it used to be.

Voice of Reason likes this.
  10. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You might see it as the most valuable but it isn’t normally the most paid. Wouldn’t that make them the highest paid manager in our history? Good chance of that I reckon. And given our precarious situation, and the squad we’ve assembled, I wouldn’t want to gamble like that. As I said in another thread, what happens if it doesn’t work and we’ve got a £1.2m a year Head Coach for two more years in League One that we wish we could pay off?

We only sold Chaplin this Summer. We obviously lost Mowatt and Soll from the wage bill, but we then signed seven players (I think) so I would guess the Val money went towards that.

It’s easy to say ‘pay them the money’ but we need to identify where that money is going to come from, or at least be honest and admit that we’re wanting the owners to run us at a loss or loan us an injection of cash.

SFOTyke likes this.
  11. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You could say that about every possible signing across all departments of the football club.

That they ‘might’ work or they ‘might’ increase revenue. But if they don’t who foots the bill? Because paying out that kind of money, without reducing the budge for the playing staff, would see us running at a loss. At this stage we should probably start being open that we don’t want our club to be run sustainably?

12. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know where £750,000 of the money could come from

Mido, Old Goat, Archerfield and 2 others like this.
  13. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well yes. There is that!

Although I’ve got that earmarked for the Mowatt replacement we never signed.

SuperTyke likes this.
  14. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes of course you could. And with the right selection it can work. Every decision is a risk as we have seen this last 12 months. Regarding sustainability then I maybe suggest that's probably more 'you' than 'we' as I wouldn't want the club to destroy itself, but even breaking even on the books we seem to be heading that way.

15. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We don't need one. Palmer and styles are a very experienced midfield that needs no help silly

SFOTyke and Loko the Tyke like this.
  16. Kev

Kevin Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't belive for a minute the rumored transfer fees that we have paid for players since these owners have come in. In regards to the manager recruitment well, it's cheap like the players we are interested in. If you want to run any club on a shoe string then the correct decisions need to be made but it is clear that things are not been. A few people on here seem to be of the opinion that nothing can be done differently and the boards hands are tied and us fans just need to keeping paying our money and shut up. If the board actually came out and said sorry we have made mistakes but they do not care what us fans think what is the issue here.

shed131 and icer like this.
  17. Loko the Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But would you gamble the future of the football club on one of those appointments?

I only said ‘we’ because there’s a few different comments suggesting we should be breaking the bank. If we want them to do that then we also need to admit we want to spend beyond our means. I 100% don’t want us to do that. I just want us to do a better job with the model we’re trying to implement - we didn’t this Summer to the point of being negligent.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
    SFOTyke likes this.
  18. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

My bad thought he had already left and was linked with us

Were in a relegation dog fight we had won 2 games all season we need results so why appoint a sweedish u21s manager who has never been in this country before? And is hardly animated while watching. Do you think he is the right man? What improvements have we made?

he only thing kahled kept saying was schopp was a mistake but why did it take so long to get shut if thats the case?

wolvestyke and Voice of Reason like this.
  19. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No. But that's not what I stated. I believe there are things we can do better within our model. I also don't think its unreasonable to expect our owners to do a better job in financing the club. They have a 0 investment policy. But they do allow the club to spend. I think the playing squad could be trimmed and reinvested elsewhere for example. We have loaned out so many players for example shows we don't need them in the squad and we have let a 1 or 2 leave this window. So in essence I would gamble on a smaller player roster to reinvest. One example is we go with a junior coach - no problem, but what about a director of football to increase the success of recruitment, help develop the coach etc. What do you think we should do differently?

dodgey defence likes this.
  20. lk3

lk311 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There’s no doubt the Head Coach position is a very important position, but in reality £1.2m is £23k a week compare that to our highest paid players and there’s not really anything to be added but to say it is out of reach currently.