‘Project’

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by icer, Sep 27, 2020.

1. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I’m not fully sure about our project including squad development and game plan right now. If the plan is to play 3 at the back and have wing backs that sit further up the park have we really built a squad to play this. I think it works well defensively and the 3 centre halves seems like a box ticked.

but midfield we are sadly lacking creativity. If it ain’t Mowatt then it’s nobody right now. We aren’t creating anything down the flanks of note and through the middle we look slow. Styles has a good footballing brain and technique but is he contributing enough right now? Ritzmair experiment playing wider left hasn’t worked. Would he be better holding and Mowatt further forward. Is Oduor an option we need to try more in the back 3 / wing back formation. I’m also unsure if we want 1-1 up front one playing behind or 2 up front. Chaplin and Woodrow just don’t seem to have any link up play and midfield seem detached to anchor the ball in the final third.

Helik and Frieser are good additions in the roles they play but I feel we are lacking and have been in other positions as more of a priority.

I said last season, said this season we are 2-3 players short, LB / wing back, striker and creative / wide mid. I still think we are short of quality and depth in these areas. Does anyone else see from the season to date what our plan is intended to be?

Connor likes this.
  2. Ata

Atac Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post. I'm not sure that what seems to have been decided as the system really works well with the way we play it. My preferred formation would be 451 where mostly the 4 defend, the 5 stop getting overrun in midfield without the ball and creates chances with the ball and the 1 holds up to link in with attacking midfielders and finishes chances along with attacking midfielders etc. A bit simplistically described but hopefully you get the gist. 3 at back too often leads us wide open to counters particularly if its not being played well. We haven't got the 1 we need up front and to stay up front rather than dropping deep. We don't stretch the game to create space in the current system - we're too narrow and compressed in the middle. It doesn't have to be like that with this system but it seems to be what happens a lot of the time.

3. T!ke

T!ke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Issue is the manager wants hard working tracking back defensive minded players.

we don’t look for a Creative spark / free role player.