2 years sober

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by wakeyred, Aug 2, 2022.

1. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hope you can indulge me, today is 2 years to the day since my last alcoholic drink. I never had a rock bottom but I found a “sweet” spot where my behaviour was just about tolerable for the people around me and I could carry on working, but make no mistake I was slowly killing myself. I am not the same person but without alcohol, I am a very different person today, I would say a better one, more present, more calm, a better father and husband and friend. I only wish I'd done it 10 years ago but there is a saying that the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago and the second best time is now and I was ready when I was ready.
    I don't judge anyone else's drinking, we are all different, I just know for me its the best thing I ever did for myself - and if you think you'd like to quit but don't believe you can - well I can tell you I absolutely loved drinking, you name it I could drink it and I even brewed my own Ale. I was able to average 80 units a week and easily push that over 100 for special occasions - like any excuse for a special occasion.....but I learned to never compare myself to anyone else, there are people who drink less then me who need to quit and people who can drink double what I was drinking, so what was too much for me might seem normal to others.
    I wake up every morning just grateful I don't have another hangover to deal with and another day trying to piece together what I did last night. If you got this far thanks for sticking with me, hope you have a blessed day.

2. TitusMagee

TitusMagee Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's great news! Long may it continue! Nothing is worth your health and wellbeing :)

3. S74 Red

S74 Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Top work wakeyred! I like a drink, and I’m guilty of the very occasional binge, but not as much as I used to.

Not having hangovers is definitely a good thing! A couple of slightly thick heads is all I can report for the last couple of years and it’s a bloody good thing. Hats off to you mate.

Stephen Dawson and wakeyred like this.
  4. Tyke_67

Tyke_67 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well done, keep it up mate

5. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm off out for a couple of pints later you've made me feel guilty :D.

S74 Red, Stephen Dawson and wakeyred like this.
  6. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Being able to moderate is great if you can do it, I couldn't - I tried but I'd always break some rule or other I'd put in place - and it became too mentally exhausting always battling against a desire to get smashed every time I started a drink. I had to remove the value I believed drinking had for me, once I did that I didn't want to drink anymore - not that it was easy to get to that point!

7. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well done mate, I'm very impressed. I'm not a particularly heavy drinker, but I sometimes wake up from a session rueing the damage to head and wallet. The flip side is I love the social aspect, and the taste of craft ales and good wine. Possibly a bit too much to give up, even though I know my health would definitely benefit.

wakeyred likes this.
  8. RedInBlackrod

RedInBlackrod Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    congratulations, glad to hear it

wakeyred likes this.
  9. Barnsley Chopin

Barnsley Chopin Well-Known Member

Egghead
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well done! I only managed 30 days recently but may get back on the wagon - definitely feel better not drinking.

wakeyred likes this.
  10. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well done fella you've done fantastic. I am sure your relationships with people, general health and bank balance are all better now :) No more hangovers either.

11. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well done Wakey :). I'm of the school of thought I can't see the point of having one or two. I don't drink everyday but do pile it away when I do. I see one or two as needless calorie intake. It isn't doing anything good for you and not particularly enjoyable at that level for me. So why bother?

I'm very much an all or nothing type of person though.

Wuz1964 and wakeyred like this.
  12. joh

john vaines Active Member

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    bloody well done next target 3 years let us know and congratulations proud of you and your commitment long may it continue. just need the reds to show same and we will be ok

wakeyred and Stephen Dawson like this.
  13. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I used to be similar, I'd call myself a binary drinker as it was either 0 pints or getting properly hammered.

I've no idea what changed but these days I'm happier having one or two, and rarely do a proper binge.

14. Del Rosso

Del Rosso Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great stuff mate, well done, my intake of alcohol has been drastically reduced over the last 7 years, partly due to my wife's illness (Dementia) I still partake in a drink now and then but nothing near what I was consuming pre- illness, and the change in my all round personality is quite remarkable, I'm a lot calmer and focused and certainly a damn sight fitter.
    Again, we'll done fella.

15. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok .. bit of a Tommy Top-up post now mate .
    Used to work away alot in my twentys and thirtys. So out every night a gang of us..(actually most are dead now). Started feeling it in my late thirties feltl ill when I had a drink.. heart rate through the roof being sick alot. And when sick I got little red dots ans bloches over my head and face
    Anyway aged 40 was told I had a high liver count and to stop drinking alcohol.. and also never take paracetamol aswell.
    Never had a drink since.. 19 years now.. was 59 in July..
    All the best mate.. I actually found it easy cos I felt so bad... But miss the criac that was of course

16. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well done mate, here's to another 2 years....

Oops :confused::confused::confused:

17. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Excellent news. Congratulations.

18. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  19. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Well done mate, fantastic effort. The only drug that society tells you you’re in the wrong for abstaining from. I imagine you’ve overcome huge social pressures at times, so hats off to you. Great effort.

20. **AIRTyke

**AIRTyke Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hi Dom - I never knew, this is an epic achievement, well done. I have a similar view and track record on drinking and a couple of years ago I also quit. I lasted 130 days, had never felt better, lost weight, slept better, but best of all had a calmness and renewed confidence. So why did I start drinking again? Because I felt sad, like I was missing out. I wanted to be able to have a drink if I wanted, maybe just on special occasions, but by becoming tee-total I felt I had removed that choice. Stupidly I also had a regular lads night out which was booze, booze followed by curry and booze. I tried it once sober and it was painful. My social life is by and large drinking based, and so to commit to becoming teetotal meant fundamental changes to how I lived my life and so I gave up.

So I attempted drinking moderately and within 3 weeks I was back up to 70+ units a week. I then stopped for another another 100 days, loved it, but then the same 'missing out' thing reappeared and here I am, back at square 1.

It's shabby logic and weak-willed on my part, because deep down I know drinking doesn't do me any good whatsoever, and as I get older, the after effects just get more painful.

So, massive respect mate, maybe you're the inspiration I need to try again.