A hypothesis...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Steve Wood, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Ste

Steve Wood Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've had a few beers, so this may be a ridiculous conspiracy theory but bare with me! Does this sound feasible? It's only a theory and could be complete bunkum BTW...

"The 80% mob are truly hacked off by this covenant on the ground, which they see as scuppering any hope of buying a 50% share in Oakwell. They default on their payments for the club, things turn nasty and the Crynes take them to court.

From then on they totally lose faith in the project and focus their efforts elsewhere. They do after all own six other clubs. They decide to exact some kind of revenge on the Crynes and an increasingly hostile fan base by simply allowing the club to drift. The staff get wind of this, clearly don't want to be associated with it, and start to leave in their droves. The CEO, secretary, physio, goalkeeping coach etc etc. Only the diehards like Disco and Bobby remain.

The players, who must surely have spoken to the staff who left, are also fully aware of the situation. However they're still under contract and can't simply leave. Motivation, however, does dwindle and performances on the field suffer. Hence the worst season for many many years.

The 80% mob simply sit back and do nothing. After all, they're not putting any money in and haven't even paid for the club in full yet either. They don't stand to lose much at all. A return to League One means little to them, they'll simply sell players on, cut their cloth accordingly and still live within their means, however meagre the funds may be. Attendances fall, so the budget is cut to suit a lower level. And so on until they decide to sell up."

Is wilful neglect of this kind anywhere near the truth, or am I in cloud cuckoo land?

redrum, Kingtyke, ubique_tyke and 4 others like this.
  2. dod

dodgey defence Well-Known Member

Joiner
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Probably answered your own question in your first paragraph, but enjoy your beers.
    I think we've just employed crap head coaches this season and especially missed the chance mid season to put things right.

3. Redarmy87

Redarmy87 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be honest I would say that's plausible and you could see how the issue with the ground would seriously pee them off as business people, as that is a way they could make some cash I guess (use the land how they see fit, it would be their biggest asset and that's been blocked). Wouldn't say it's cuckoo at all, but it could of course be very wide of the mark. Either way we'll never know.

4. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Theres’s no evidence to support that nonsense; other than everything that has happened.

5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you mistake incompetence for mendacity.

6. seethi

seethi Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Your not in cuckoo land …… yet
    But I think you have nailed it

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  7. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Business people who get involved in this not knowing that a covenant from 1907 exists that any one of us could find out from the Land Registry. Really??!! I think you are being way too kind.

8. Redarmy87

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wasn't there a 'big reveal' where the covenant is concerned though? Nobody even considered a covenant until it came out recently, I think that's right? You could say they're business people, surely when they bought the club they checked to see if there's a covenant, but then does that really get asked by prospective owners every time they look to purchase a football club? Excuse me, just to check before we sign on the dotted line, is there a covenant? It all feels very Victorian this covenant business, all a bit mill of the black monks. So I'm not sure really...

9. Dalestykes

Dalestykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This. I genuinely don’t think they have the skill, talent and ability to be mendacious; but incompetence? Champions League level.

10. Redarmy87

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    By the way, I'm not saying at all that they'd be justified in being pee'd off. I'm saying that the chance to make as much money out of the club has been scuppered and thus they are peeved. Apologies if I wasnt very clear.

11. wolvestyke

wolvestyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't believe they don't care if we go down. Money is their primary driver imo and the value of the club is inevitably lower in League One. I'm sure they would rather us stay up and progress in the Championship as Conway has previously described, because the value of their investment will appreciate. Instead I firmly believe that they are arrogant, they believe they know better. And that they are incompetent. Incompetent leaders can improve if they're willing to learn but arrogant leaders aren't even willing to consider they may be wrong let alone learn and change. And that's why I fear things will only get worse.

12. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Not sure about that as they are supposed to be businessmen.
    Ok so they couldn’t get hold of the land so best thing would be to build up the assets they’ve got and build on that .
    Last season was the perfect time To display their wares to any potential bidder and enhance by building on that success .
    As a business they failed spectacularly in selling the success of their assets and convincing anyone they had a model worth investing in.
    Tbh if I were Chien I’d be having serious words with my business partner as to why when he was in charge it went from success to failure so spectacularly quick.
    If Khaled leaves his position for any reason in future I’d be very wary of leaving Mr Conway in charge of a business he clearly doesn’t understand .
    A system needs to be in place that can absorb anyone in any position leaving even at short notice .

Stephen Dawson and Kettlewell like this.
  13. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We moved house three years ago. There were existing covenants which our solicitor made sure we knew about. By the way, the covenant in question specifies that the land can only be used for sporting purposes, so I'm not entirely sure why that should be a problem to
    our 'owners'.

14. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I just don’t think they’re very good or experienced at running football clubs and didn’t understand anything about the EFL. Unless I’m mistaken Someone somewhere has chucked £5-6 million to the Crynes for the initial purchase so I’m sure they still feel invested until and unless they get that back. Deliberately sending the club into a death spiral ain’t going to get them their money back - so no, it’s not a deliberate act of self harm it’s just rank incompetence.

15. Redarmy87

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry I'm not very up on covenants. I guess it would be a problem if they wanted to relocate..

16. Red

RedVesp Guest

If they wanted to relocate they'd just buy land elsewhere and build a new stadium, the covenant wouldn't have any impact on that.

Stephen Dawson and Kettlewell like this.
  17. Redarmy87

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But doesn't the covenant say the current land needs to be used by Barnsley FC? Maybe I'm missing something but I thought that was the point. To be honest, they couldn't even sort out a few loose bricks at the back of the West stand over the summer, I doubt they even considered checking whether a covenant existed prior to purchase.

Stephen Dawson and RedVesp like this.
  18. Red

RedVesp Guest

I thought it just said (although I've not actually seen it myself) that the land must be used for sport?

19. Kex

KexbroughRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The one thing you have certainly got right is that to this ownership group we are merely a project .

You only have to look at Chien Lee’s twitter feed to understand that (and of course we haven’t featured since last May when there was something for potential investors/buyers to look at )

To all intents and purposes we and the other clubs in the group are simply PowerPoint vapour ware with the hope someone will buy !!

whatever did become of the beautiful game!!
    I think we will get the club back in the end but things will likely get worse before they get better !

20. Redarmy87

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes that's my understanding too. But I suppose in order for the owners to move to a new stadium they would have to get someone to buy the existing land with a signed commitment to use it for sporting purposes, which could pose a significant problem for them in that any buyer would likely want it to build flats or a supermarket etc.