Accessible facilities at Oakwell

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by gorillagaz, Jun 21, 2024 at 2:27 PM.

1. gorillagaz

gorillagaz Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bit of a random one this. I contacted the club about making a few slight alterations to the accessible facilities to make them stoma friendly, as I myself have a colostomy bag. I have had mine for nearly 4 years now, and it does effect how I feel about attending games regularly, as Its a struggle to change if needed in the current toilets.
    I received an email back from the club saying that it was something they would be interested in doing and they would contact me to go and discuss it with them.
    Before I have the meeting ( hopefully) I just wondered if anyone else was in the same position or had any input regarding the accessible facilities?
    If you would prefer to message me then that's fine. I would just like the input of others before meeting with people at the club.

2. West Mids Tyke

West Mids Tyke Active Member

Retired
    Willenhall, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    great idea and i hope it comes to life mate, i have an ileostomy and agree that its difficult to change or even dispose of without being suspected of doing something illegal if you know what i mean, its impossible to do in the present cubicles and basically would be great if there was a 'Changing Places' facilities in each of the stands to provide for all disabilities, no doubt there are many who have been through our path of life that attend or don't want to attend games because of the lack of facilities, i notice that them down in S6 have done this at their ground

Redhelen, Bossman, Gally and 3 others like this.
  3. gorillagaz

gorillagaz Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thank you for commenting mate, as much as I know I can't possibly be the only ostomate at oakwell, it feels that way sometimes. So it's nice to hear from other people. I work with the charity Colostomy UK, so they are supporting this too. There's quite a lot of clubs around the UK that have adapted their facilities to be acceptable for all, and yep even the ones down at S6 have already done it.
    I've had the initial contact and response from someone at oakwell, and I've sent several replies so I'm hoping that I hear something back. The changes were going to be made in the off season, so I'll keep you updated.

4. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Tyke The Tree-Frog Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Glad the club has got back in touch with you bud, its heartening to hear. Hope it swiftly happens for you and anyone else with these kind of issues

5. Hooky feller

Hooky feller Well-Known Member

Retired, full time grandad.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fantastic post mate and pretty sure the club will take on board what you say.

But you are not on your own I know/knew of a couple. But tbh i dont know if they've moved seats or stopped going to games.
    Not dropped on em since after covid.
    One I know had a mishap during a game.

On the advisory group board. (Should be live in the very near future. Weeks at most I'm guessing) Is a representative for the disabled. When all is sorted names (those who put forward for positions have already been selected through ballot of the full advisory group and notified) will be put forward to the fans and contact information, people then to contact a relevant rep on particular issues. I'm guessing it will work to fans benefit. As all matters then will go through the advisory board. (Minor issues for example will hopefully not be forgotten about and proper discussions to be had and actions taken up) It's a great idea imo. Having been on similar groups through work etc. Nowt gets forgotten (minutes taken) till actioned and signed off.

Your case is a must for example and would be pushed forward. (Even though the club have already responded and I'm pretty sure will try to accommodate your ideas)
    Here's hoping for a productive meeting Ggaz,

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024 at 7:51 PM