Climate change. From the bbc website

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SuperTyke, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They've got a thing where you put your postcode in and it tells you predicted effects of climate change where you live.

For here it said (amongst other things)

On the wettest summer day of the past 30 years, 57mm of rain fell in your area. At a 2C rise, this could be about 76mm. And at a 4C rise, it could be about 66mm, which is 14% more than now.
    On the wettest winter day of the past 30 years, 34mm of rain fell in your area. At a 2C rise, this could be about 34mm. And a 4C rise, it could be about 40mm, which is 19% more than now.

eh? 57mm on the wettest summer day which could rise to 76mm with a 2degree increase but would only rise to 66mm with a 4degree increase? So it would go up and back down again?
    and yet in winter there'd be no change with a 2 degree rise but a jump with a 4 degree rise?

Didn't it flood in winter a couple of years ago too? I'm sure it was more than 34mm of rain

Stephen Dawson likes this.
  2. Stephen Dawson

Stephen Dawson Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lot of this climate change stuff doesn't take into account the positive and negative reactions. The more the planet heats up and the stuff pumping into the atmosphere eventually blocks out the sun and makes things cooler. Yes sea levels will rise. However, in time they'll turn to Ice when we have the next Ice age.

There was a big freeze in the 16th century. Back then it was before the industrial revolution so only thing causing the global warming was the cows 5 hitting.

Yes we're having an adverse effect on our planet but I think there's more to it than using a bike or paddle boat to work.

Redarmy87 and Sprotbrough Red like this.
  3. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There isn't necessarily a direct correlation between temperature and rainfall. Rainforests are very warm but there's a lot of humidity. If you keep increasing the heat in the UK humidity may dry out in summer for less rainfall but make winter more humid as the cold air is no longer able to dry it out.

If you want a visual representation of man's impact on global climate I've posted this XKCD comic before. Any comparison between the last several decades and the little ice age is willfully ignorant.

4. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The climate is delicately balanced but can self correct provided the warming is kept small. This is why scientists keep saying we need to halt CO2 emissions to keep warming below 2C. Above that, permafrost starts to melt causing a mass release of methane (a worse greenhouse gas than CO2) and the polar ice sheets melt causing a massive rise in sea levels. At this point the Gulf Stream would be disrupted by the huge influx of cold water sinking to the ocean floor from ice melt resulting in changes to our weather which scientists can really only guess at.

5. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What you said. Cheers for info about planets and stars too. Had a decent night stargazing last night :).

Redhelen likes this.
  6. Tarntyke

Tarntyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What all night staring at Uranus. I bet your backs aching:):)

7. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Lol :D

8. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I’m curious to know.

can I ask… to all bbs posters, have you changed the way you live, the choices you make, the things you purchase and how, the things you consume in an attempt to reduce your impact on our environment?

9. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've certainly made choices with the environment in mind. From insulating the house to unplugging appliances after seeing what my smart meter was telling me, though that's likely more to do with the added bonus of saving money. It has factored in to my choice of holiday destination, and while I prefer to stay in the UK anyway, I think it is a factor in not deciding to fly abroad.

10. winged avenger

winged avenger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don`t set him off with this inuendo stuff.He needs no encouraging :D

11. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Tyke The Tree-Frog Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Question. Genuine too, in no way am I trying to be facetious, I really don't know.

Would it really make an impact what 68million people over here do in their daily lives, whilst India, Russia and especially China continue the way they do? Aren't China opening more and more coal plants?

12. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Honestly no. The biggest driver in all my decisions continues to be financial. As I imagine it is for most of the population of the Planet.

13. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Unfortunately I think it has to be given the current crisis. People's first priority will always be their immediate family. If you can't provide for them now, many many years from now won't even matter. Something has to change

Stephen Dawson and Redstone like this.
  14. Redstone

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Change will likely require sacrifice and I can't see people wanting to do that.
    I know it's hugely cynical but people will look at those a lot more well off and say "its OK for them ect"
    Then they will look at countries like China and say "well what difference does it make if they don't get on board"

To truly make a difference to the human impact on the planet would take international cooperation on scale never seen before.

15. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's like the classic game theory problem of the prisoner's dilemma.

It's in everyone's best interest if all countries take action - everyone's economy suffers but we avoid further damage. The problem is that if only the west takes action then they'll be harming their economies for limited environmental gain. So if China and India aren't going to blink then the question is whether the West is nevertheless willing to take action which harms them economically in order to benefit the whole planet, including the countries that don't give a toss.

16. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is what I meant by my first post. 68 million people changing their lives, sometimes sacrificing, whilst India & China alone have the population of 3billion people almost. Sounds like it needs a massive combined effort from all big nations, and with the war in Ukraine, and now the tensions between China & Taiwan and it's allies, it's looking less & less likely

Stephen Dawson and Redstone like this.
  17. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But would the US and it's allies do that in the first place with the current tensions? That's my point. It's worrying times ahead.

18. Redstone

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    If you look at it another way though, it's all well and good saying those countries don't give a toss. They perhaps would argue that the West built its wealth with no regard for the environment and now essentially are preaching to them about what they should do. In essence pulling the ladder up behind them.

I'm not trying to say what is right or wrong just to see things from a different perspective.

19. jptykes

jptykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have. Maybe not as much as some or as much as I should but I'm making an effort.

Got solar panels fitted to the house and try to maximise the benefit from them. When storage batteries become cheaper and more viable I'll more than likely look too invest in some.

Boiler turned down a few degrees for both hot water and central heating. Use the central heating sparingly - only heat the whole house when necessary, we have a log burner to warm the living room and kitchen in the day.

Reduced usage wherever possible. Walk more, drive less. Wear clothes and shoes until they're no longer fit for purpose (me, not so much my wife), avoid fast fashion and donate anything that can be used by someone else. Wherever possible we use things again - refill plastic bottles, avoid single use items if possible etc. Our recycling bins go out full every pick up, the black bin much less so.

I've even found myself doing something I never thought I would - eating less meat, certainly less beef and replacing it with more vegetables (tried growing our own but failed).

Our house is well insulated and protected from draughts where possible. Makes the damn thing too hot in summer but what can you do?

Hard to argue that my efforts are a drop in the ocean compared to the damage that is done by big business and developing countries. Then again if no-one made an effort things might be worse.

On a related topic, I saw three people watering their grass and hanging baskets with hosepipes while walking my dogs this evening. I know the ban isn't in effect yet but personally I don't know how anyone can justify it given the news regarding water shortages.

20. Stephen Dawson

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You need to eat more beef and it will reduce methane emissions.

Would India be pumping out as much crap and China be in this position if we hadn't pulled out of India in the fifties and kept the Chinese hooked on opium?

Empire eh?

jptykes likes this.