Don’t get ill today

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tonjytyke, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Ton

Tonjytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mrs Tonjy called 999 for an ambulance this morning at 10.40,,,,,,,, she’s still waiting at 1810. And before you start, no, she’s not Diana Ross!

2. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry to read that fella. Hope she feels better soon :) Nobody should have to wait so long for one.

3. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I had to call 999 around a month ago, I was actually on hold for about 10 minutes to speak to someone, followed by another minute answering Covid questions. After then waiting 3 hours for a ambulance we managed to make our own way to hospital.
    Then while in a&e I was speaking with a nurse who told me they were just overwhelmed with people coming in with stuff GPs could deal with.
    On the GP front my mum went today for a B12 injection. She was telling me that her docs make you wait outside. A older gentleman arrived and talked to them through the intercom and was told he would have to phone. My mum lent him her phone but they were engaged and after a bit of time he just gave up and left.
    I also had to make over 100 calls to get through the other week. Its easy to see how so many people will be slipping through the cracks.

Shepley Red likes this.
  4. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Close relative of mine was on nights at BDGH last night. Apparently the A&E department was swamped with patients.

5. Ton

Tonjytyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry DB, I didn’t make it clear. It’s not for her, it’s a work thing. But I appreciate your kind thoughts.
    PS. 1915, still hasn’t arrived. Apparently A&E is mental.

dreamboy3000 likes this.
  6. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was clearing wood panels yesterday from having our back fence replaced, and stood on a rusty nail, straight through my footwear, drawing blood. Given that it must be over 30 years since I last had a tetanus booster, i rang the local surgery to enquire about getting a booster jab. I expected (hoped) that a nurse on duty could do it and if I popped up, I could be in and out in half an hour. I was told that no on call doctor was available to assess and i should go to the emergency procedure clinic at Pontefract. Really?! Gawd.

I almost decided I couldn't be bothered but it nagged at me so after dinner, decided to go. It took me 4 hours to get a tetanus jab and I left for home at 00:20. The practise nurse, by the time i got in, was so apologetic, verging on embarrassed, that i had waited so long for something so simple, and that it could have been done at my local surgery.

On the plus side, i probably never need another tetanus jab in my life so I can stand on as many rusty nails as I want now.

7. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you (royal you, not directed at anyone in this thread) have a means to get to the hospital yourself then you should do that rather than taking an ambulance someone else may need. I think a lot of people genuinely think that you are *supposed* to get an ambulance when hurt. Someone at work last year was having a right rant that they’d had to wait over 3 hours for an ambulance for their kid’s broken thumb and said they ended up taking him themselves in the car in the end. Everyone was making sympathetic noises and telling similar experiences they have had of making their own way after waiting hours. I couldn’t help myself and asked why they called at all and didn’t just go themselves in the first place and they looked sheepish and said they didn’t know. It’s like people complaining about traffic when they are traffic. If you need emergency treatment or can’t be moved then fair enough but if you’re able to get in a car/taxi then do that.

8. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They only last ten years.

9. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shocking mate, hope everything is sorted.

On Sunday whilst walking in Stratford on Avon, my partner Anne had some sort of fainting episode. A woman who was a first aider called 999 and stayed on the line for ages, then she helped me get Anne onto the pavement and into the recovery position. By then 2 off duty nurses pitched in along with the first aider from the RSC "the other theatre" which we were outside of. It took the ambulance about 45 minutes to reach us, by which time, no less than 4 off duty nurses, a paramedic and 2 first aiders were in attendance. Anne was taken to Warwick hospital where she was kept in overnight for observation. Chest xrays and a brain scan found nothing amis and the doctor was baffled by it all. She's ok now but feels like she's been on a massive bender.

I wish there was some way I could contact these wonderful people to thank them.

Austiniho and Tonjytyke like this.
  10. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The best thanks you can give them is by not voting Tory ever.
    These ******** are starving our NHS on a daily basis .
    Most people don’t see it till they needed it and that’s why the Tory cuts havnt been noticed but this pandemic had really shown what the Tory’s have been doing to the NHS to the masses .
    Yes it’s been a strain but enhanced by the Tory cuts which are going further every year whilst they lie and pilfer with contracts that puts profit furst and foremost .

11. Redhelen

Redhelen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  12. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Just checked that and found you are right. I feel sure that at my last booster I was told it was for life. I was in A&E last week for a cut hand and told them I was up to date with my jabs based on what I was told previously.

13. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Perhaps they took one look at you and concluded that it was for life.

14. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Actually, I've just looked into it a bit more and you need 5 in total to be pretty much sorted unless you get a particularly bad and dirty cut (especially if soil or manure was present) or travel a lot to countries where it is common. People born after 1961 (when the vaccination programme was introduced) should be fully covered as you should have had 3 when a few months old, then one around 3 years old then one at high school. People born before then are probably not covered unless you know you have had 5 at another time.

15. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I did call back to cancel the ambulance once we decided to risk driving up ourselves, but then I was on hold again and I felt bad I was blocking the lines up.
    I found it terrifying I was on hold to 999.

16. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You certainly have looked into it ;)

Being born after 1961, I presume I had my full suite of childhood jabs. I had one I believe as an adult in 1990, so yesterday makes 6. The nurse did say that, on that basis, I should be covered.

JamDrop likes this.
  17. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    What do you all expect when you have spent the last 12 months frightening people about a deadly disease that you need a test to establish whether you have had it or not? Do you honestly not see the paradox in that? You're not innocent in this. Stop pointing fingers, you're complicit.

18. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's really frustrating! My mum is a retired nurse and the same people use to turn up at A&E week after week without fail all because they didn't want to wait for a local GP appointment. Upon leaving they were advised not to attend unless it was an emergency but basically thought **** it we will go back anyway! Absolutely disgusting the amount of time and resources wasted.

Austiniho and dreamboy3000 like this.
  19. Austiniho

Austiniho Well-Known Member

My last visit to the packed A and E at BDGH was for a burst blood vessel in my retina, resulting in temporary and quite scary blindness in one eye. Most people sat around me had no visual/obvious symptoms. So I asked the lady sat next to me why she was there. She said she had a bad back. When I said, “a bad back, why are you in A and E with a bad back!?”. She replied, “well I’ve had it for two days now! “. “Two days?!?” I said, “I’ve had a bad back since 1994! Stop clogging up the hospital and go to your GP!”. She took quite a bit offence, but left before the doctors managed to see her or myself around 3 hours later. My eye made a full recovery.

Shepley Red likes this.
  20. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wouldn't vote Tory if they held a gun to my head.

Marlon likes this.