England's Euros opponents

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Acido Tyke, Jun 14, 2024 at 12:04 AM.

1. Acido Tyke

Acido Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The build up part of it, the friendlies and the autographs and photos etc, it's all done now. We're about to start the business end now, and thats the tournament itself. ;)
    So what if anything do we know or care or fear about our upcoming opponents, SERBIA, SLOVENIA, & DENMARK ?.

2. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Danes could be a banana skin, but Serbia and Slovenia shouldn't :eek: cause too many problems.

I have England to lose in qtr's regardless of who they play, with Spain winning.

Southgate decides to call it a day and the search for a new England manager begins.

Spuggy likes this.
  3. Acido Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think SLOVENIA are looked at as the minnows in the group aren't they, and I think that makes them dangerous in fairness.
    And with their former 'Yugoslavian' rivalry, they surely won't make it easy for Serbia.
    But to be honest, I think they will finish 4th.

4. Tyke The Tree-Frog

Tyke The Tree-Frog Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Slovenia have one of the best goalkeepers in the world in Oblak and quickly becoming one of the best strikers in the world in Sesko, who Arsenal and plenty others are interested in. If anything, I think Denmark may struggle actually!

5. Acido Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think SERBIA still have Mitrovic don't they, who has done so well as the big number 9 for Fulham in the Prem.
    I don't know much about their other players though, and I see they are a team who regularly keep under performing in tournaments, and fail to get beyond the groups.
    This could be close, and maybe down to goal diff, but I think they will finish 3rd.

6. Acido Tyke

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I hear that some of these DENMARK players are a bit out of form right now, just at the wrong time. And apparently they haven't improved from their run to the Semis, at the last Euros, in 20/21.
    But for me, it's their record of qualifying beyond the groups like they do, which is why I always rate them. And only just ahead of Serbia right now, in 2nd.

7. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Serbia very good going forward. Our defence could take a while to settle. A 2-2 draw on Sunday really wouldn't surprise me.

8. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Denmark will cause us the most problems. Think Serbia will be physically tough but our defence will be alright with that. If Dunk does start, he can win any header against anyone. His issue, alongside other defenders we have is playing against technically gifted players. Hojlund has the potential to cause some massive issues if our defence plays anything like they did against Iceland. We’ll win the group anyways.

9. Baz

Bazza Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe the Barnsley fc optimism is kicking in for me .
    I genuinely think we will win the tournament.

10. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I feel like it’s a really weak group.

Reaching the semis in the last Euro’s flatters Denmark, they had a pretty easy draw & to me look a declining force. Eriksen is still seen as their talisman who’s years past his best.

I don’t think Serbia are up to much. They seem to get tipped as dark horses by pundits every tournament & then don’t perform. If your best player was a bottom half premier league striker in his prime & is now in the Middle East for a pay day they shouldn’t be a side to worry about.

I don’t know much about Slovenia other than the two players listed above but they’ve had some decent results over the past two years & haven’t taken any hammerings. I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish 2nd in the group.

I do think it’s a very weak group though. For example I’d say all of Germany’s opponents in group A - Switzerland, Hungary & Scotland would be the second best team in our group.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024 at 7:47 AM
    wakeyred likes this.
  11. Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

RETIRED AND LOVING IT
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would fear them all, i love the Euro's an i love England but i dont feel as excited as i have in previous competitions, well see an good luck.

12. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Don’t underestimate Serbia…they will attack us and we have a weak defence

Winker likes this.
  13. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have a weak defence but I'm not sure if they'll come out all guns blazing as they could easily get completely overrun. Still think we should have enough to beat them, but a high-scoring draw is certainly not out of the question. Nor do I think that would be any sort of disaster.

14. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Serbia are poor. They got lots of hype before the last World Cup & conceded goals for fun & went out of their group bottom.

I think they’ll finish bottom again.

Looking through their results & I struggle to see why there’s any enthusiasm for them. They’ve had one decent result in the last 18 months beating a second string Swedish side 3-0 in a friendly.

Lost home & away to Hungary who are the only decent side they’ve played in a competitive game.

Defeats to Austria & Belgium, a hammering against Russia, draws home & away to Bulgaria & narrow victories over Cyprus, Jordan, Montenegro & Lithuania conceding against the latter 3 doesn’t give me any confidence that they’re up to much.

If we do slip up against them then I think it says a lot more about us than Serbia.

And yes I’m a sad ******* who’s got Euro’s fever

wakeyred likes this.