EU Contract With AstraZeneca

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by dreamboy3000, Jan 27, 2021.

1. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Its not really personal
    If AstraZeneca has taken an order from the EU that it cant fulfil I can understand the EU putting pressure to get what they ordered - in fact I wouldnt expect them to do anything else to be honest.

Kettlewell, WatfordRed, Brush and 9 others like this.
  3. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...zeneca-confirms-uk-has-prior-claim-on-vaccine

The contract will be fulfilled but Boris did a couple of good things in sorting a deal three months before the EU and making sure vaccines produced at Oxford stay in the UK.

4. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So when EU say they want to make sure they get what was agreed, it’s personal, but when UK agree a deal to keep what we have, it’s a good thing? How are the two things different?

5. pon

pontyrich Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The UK signed contracts 3 month before the EU. Apparently Germany, France, and a couple others were going to order vaccines themselves but the EU took it upon themselves to order for all EU but took 3 months longer to place an order. So now Europe are upset that the UK are Miles ahead in the vaccination process and are apparently threatening to stop exports of vaccines to the UK(not sure how true this is). EU showing it’s true colours? Think it’s about the only thing our government got right, ordering vaccines early.

6. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Wrong!

You have missed the point.
    1 EU ordered the Oxford vaccine 3 months after UK too late for the EU supply chain to iron out production and supply chain issues.
    2 Worse still they are complaining when they STILL have not actually approved the vaccine for use.
    3 On top of that they are threatening legal action whilst ignoring the fact that the American vaccine that they did approve and is actually being used is also being delivered 'short' i.e. only 40% of the contracted scheduled amount is arriving which has messed up the distribution and administration of the vaccine plan .
    4 Even though the shortfall of the Pfizer vaccine is more serous as it is one of the only two vaccines the EMA have approved so far, they have not threatened legal action or treated Pfizer in the same way.

The consensus amongst most Europeans is that he whole shambles is down to the EU and they are trying to deflect blame. They are also seeking to limit or even stop distribution of the Pfizer vaccines being manufactured in the EU to countries outside the EU which includes the UK but also poorer countries like those in Africa and India. Many EU states Govts are angry and I can tell you it is NOT with the UK Oxford Astra Zeneca company but the EU and the EMA that has got them in this mess.

7. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This has been brewing for sometime according to the German Press...and looks like a major embarrassment for the European Commission and Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides in particular.
    Four EU countries including Germany approached Astra Zeneca at the same time as the UK in June...UK signed on the dotted line immediately, the four EU countries were told at a senior level that
    buying outside the EU procurement set up was frowned on...they came into line but unfortunately the Commission dragged its heels and it was months before they signed up . This has been
    compounded by the fact that they made even graver mistakes... they signed up with Biontech for an initial 200m doses, Biontech gave them the option for an extra 300m doses ...the German Health
    Minister Jens Spahn was in favourof taking the option up but was overruled, according to Der Spiegel by France lobbying for their Sanofi vaccine to be given that contract, Sanofi subsequently had
    problems and cannot now deliver until the 4th quarter of 2021. They were also offered 160 million doses by Moderna and for some inexplicable reason only took half the option.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  8. pon

pontyrich Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The good ol EU, glad we left. They can keep the ham sandwiches.

9. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Vaccines are made in six different parts of Europe, three of which are in the UK. We ordered vaccines from AZ three months before the EU. We have already long ago approved the vaccine that EU still haven't got around to doing. Of course getting in first and making it in our own country we would make sure it went to our people first. It's like how we've ordered off Moderna but because we took our time we have to wait until around April time. On the plus side we've ordered over fifty million Johnson and Johnson vaccines that are only one dose and could get emergency approved by the middle of February once the 3rd phase trial results become public next week.

wakeyred likes this.
  10. not

nottstyke Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nice to know I am not the only "Brexiteer" on here. Well said!

cudeth red and jedi one like this.
  11. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    This thread is like a who's who of Brexit voters ;-)

Pretty grim really.

pompey_red likes this.
  12. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No difference to the denunciation of the Nissan announcement by some of the board's Remainers.

13. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    Far from it.

The Nissan deal remains neutral, and I don't recall glee from anyone. I'm not accusing you of glee, but some (not all) are so joyous they might well have to go to the toilet. Thats pretty seedy, I'd hope you'd agree?

14. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I agree.

Now can you provide an answer to post no. 7 on here, from sadbrewer, to show him how wrong he is?

15. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    About what precisely? But glad you think its grim, the glee people are showing.

And thanks for completing the line up ;-)

16. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I certainly would agree....but by the same token the Nissan announcement was good news, particularly when you consider Remainers ( not suggesting you) have spent four years mocking the men and women of Sunderland as "turkeys voting for Christmas" perhaps a little humility might have been expected.

cudeth red and pontyrich like this.
  17. Gegenpresser

Gegenpresser Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    No - I want you to stick to the arguments/debate that people like sadbrewer have raised, and answer any points made, rather than just trying to make a point about Brexit.

I genuinely don't know who's right on this thread.

I do know that it's not adding to any debate by coming on a thread and moaning about who's on it.

Cos you can moan exactly the same for every pro EU thread as well.

So what's your answer to post no.7?

18. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've searched but can't find the posts about nissan which you mention. Could you give an indication what they were and who said them?

19. sadbrewer

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just search Nissan, the thread comes up near the top .

20. Dan

Style:
    Barnsley
    The Nissan announcement wasn't bad news. But obviously in the current circumstances, that has been whipped into good news. And obviously it took millions more of the taxpayers money to ensure it.

Redhelen likes this.